Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284933 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1755 on: May 25, 2019, 07:41:07 AM »
Keeping the farm is more than just being about money.  It’s about your purpose in life, it’s about a roof over your head, it’s about performing a service for the people of this country, it’s about carrying on a family business, it’s about caring for the countryside and the creatures that occupy it , it’s about keeping people employed rurally rather than forcing them to move to the cities.  I find your constant accusations to me that I am solely money focused more than a little insulting so kindly refrain in future.  Thank you.

Looking back it wasn't you who mentioned 'improving revenue' in reply to John's post, but you clearly agreed. I can;t work out why it was raised, as John wasn't posting about finance at all. In my opinion the economy seems to be the focus for some people, overriding any other considerations. I apologise if you're not one of them, but you do seem to mention it a lot.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1756 on: May 25, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »
Looking back it wasn't you who mentioned 'improving revenue' in reply to John's post, but you clearly agreed. I can;t work out why it was raised, as John wasn't posting about finance at all. In my opinion the economy seems to be the focus for some people, overriding any other considerations. I apologise if you're not one of them, but you do seem to mention it a lot.
I do because I think it is of utmost importance to the lives of a country’s inhabitants.  Where you have an economy in crisis (Zimbabwe, Venezuela, etc) you also have the people in crisis.  This is not a good thing, it’s not even a tolerable thing in my view.  Maybe you think it is?  I don’t know.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1757 on: May 25, 2019, 09:22:45 AM »
For VS (and for Alice),

Leave.EU founder confirms he funded Nigel Farage in year after referendum

Nigel Farage received £450,000 from the founder of pro-Brexit group Leave.EU in the year after the Brexit referendum.

Items paid for by Arron Banks included Mr Farage's London home, his car and trips to the US to meet Donald Trump.

A spokesman for Mr Banks confirmed the amount and what it had been used for, saying it was an "honour to help".

Asked about the funding following an investigation by Channel 4 News, Mr Farage - who now leads the Brexit party - said it was a private matter.

Speaking at the launch of the Brexit party campaign in Scotland, Mr Farage said he did not declare the it to the European Parliament because he was about to leave politics and had been seeking a new life in the US.

He added his actions had been non-political.

Mr Farage has been a member of the European Parliament since 1999.

He led UKIP in the run-up to the 2016 EU referendum, campaigning alongside Leave.EU, of which Mr Banks was a major financier.

Mr Farage stepped down as leader later the same year, but remained as an MEP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48315552

The focus on Farage as a negitive entity is pointless. the whole parliament has been drawn over hot coals for expenses ans housing scams. all major players and across the parties - you show a lack of independant thinking if you believe bad mouthing one politician is going to persuade anyone not to vote  for him/her.

As the far right are constantly being hammered  by the press and that wonderful non murdering lovie group of Stalin followers. 'lefties' who seem to get a better press by slagging off the nazis. be warned, it is wise to listen to what the far right have to say,we need to knw what they are up to, unlike the Stalinistas who say nothing except to shout down the far right.

Oh and to talk about democracy  on one hand and demand the far right be silenced does not make any sence.  what you want is a dictatorship .
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1758 on: May 25, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »
I do because I think it is of utmost importance to the lives of a country’s inhabitants.  Where you have an economy in crisis (Zimbabwe, Venezuela, etc) you also have the people in crisis.  This is not a good thing, it’s not even a tolerable thing in my view.  Maybe you think it is?  I don’t know.

I would argue that it's political choices which affect the lives of the people. Post WW2 political choices led to the creation of the Welfare State, slum clearances, council house building and full enployment. The economy wasn't doing well at the time.

More recently it was political choices which led to the poorest bearing the brunt of the Conservative's austerity measures.

Having a successful economy doesn't guarantee that the people's lives will improve, that's up to the politicians.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1759 on: May 25, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »

The focus on Farage as a negitive entity is pointless. the whole parliament has been drawn over hot coals for expenses ans housing scams. all major players and across the parties - you show a lack of independant thinking if you believe bad mouthing one politician is going to persuade anyone not to vote  for him/her.

As the far right are constantly being hammered  by the press and that wonderful non murdering lovie group of Stalin followers. 'lefties' who seem to get a better press by slagging off the nazis. be warned, it is wise to listen to what the far right have to say,we need to knw what they are up to, unlike the Stalinistas who say nothing except to shout down the far right.

Oh and to talk about democracy  on one hand and demand the far right be silenced does not make any sence.  what you want is a dictatorship .

I think I've stated enough times on here that I don't support extremists of any flavour.  Both impose dictatorships, and many ultimately only favour the few, generally families, friends and wannabes.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1760 on: May 25, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »

You might have a point.

Farage doesn't seem to seek to actually have to do anything other than rabble-rouse, leaving more "acceptable" options appear as a comparatively palatable alternative.

I'd say the same if there was someone rabble-rousing for a new Soviet-style state for the UK, with Corbyn as an alternative on that side.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 02:37:41 PM by Carana »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1761 on: May 25, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »
I would argue that it's political choices which affect the lives of the people. Post WW2 political choices led to the creation of the Welfare State, slum clearances, council house building and full enployment. The economy wasn't doing well at the time.

More recently it was political choices which led to the poorest bearing the brunt of the Conservative's austerity measures.

Having a successful economy doesn't guarantee that the people's lives will improve, that's up to the politicians.
Who talked about guarantees?  IMO you are refusing to face facts.  An economy in crisis always has negative effects on society.  Politcal choices (eg choosing a no-deal Brexit) will IMO throw the country into economic crisis which will effect the poorest in our society the worst.  This apparently makes me obsessed with money according to you,  Oh well.  So be it. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1762 on: May 26, 2019, 11:20:39 AM »

Indeed it is all about wealth distrubution- making sure help goes to the needy not the greedy or the lazy.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #1763 on: May 26, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »

Indeed it is all about wealth distrubution- making sure help goes to the needy not the greedy or the lazy.

What concrete plan has been presented by the no-deal Brexiteers that would clearly help those in need?

What's the Brexit Party's manifesto for the UK's future?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:18:33 PM by Carana »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1764 on: May 26, 2019, 10:55:58 PM »
Farage is doing as expected so far and the Lib Dems are saying people are voting for Remain.  *%87
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1765 on: May 26, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
Farage is doing as expected so far and the Lib Dems are saying people are voting for Remain.  *%87
From what I can see so fsr it’s neck and neck between The Brexit Party and The Lib Dem/Greens, pretty much reflecting a 50/50 split.

Labour are doing well aren’t they?   @)(++(*
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:14:28 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1766 on: May 26, 2019, 11:42:06 PM »
So far, only 32% of the vote supports a no deal Brexit.  Interesting...

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1767 on: May 27, 2019, 08:38:43 AM »
Very interesting results in the EU elections.  On the face of it it would appear that the country is gung ho for a no deal Brexit, until you examine the actual percentages of votes and see that the Lib Dems and Greens (both parties determined to stop Brexit) gained 5% more of the vote than the Brexit Party. 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1768 on: May 27, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »
Very interesting results in the EU elections.  On the face of it it would appear that the country is gung ho for a no deal Brexit, until you examine the actual percentages of votes and see that the Lib Dems and Greens (both parties determined to stop Brexit) gained 5% more of the vote than the Brexit Party.

In my opinion there's a significant difference between the gains by the Brexit Party and those by the Lib Dems and the Greens. A vote for the Brexit Party is a vote to leave the EU and nothing else because it stood on just one issue. The other parties votes weren't necessarily votes to remain in the EU, they may have been prompted by other issues.

The two main parties have been punished for their failure to listen to the Electorate and they now have to decide what to do about Farage's threat. If the UK doesn't leave the EU on October 31st the Brexit Party will fight a General Election.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1769 on: May 27, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »
In my opinion there's a significant difference between the gains by the Brexit Party and those by the Lib Dems and the Greens. A vote for the Brexit Party is a vote to leave the EU and nothing else because it stood on just one issue. The other parties votes weren't necessarily votes to remain in the EU, they may have been prompted by other issues.

The two main parties have been punished for their failure to listen to the Electorate and they now have to decide what to do about Farage's threat. If the UK doesn't leave the EU on October 31st the Brexit Party will fight a General Election.

Here the overwhelming vote was for the SNP whose main election campaigning was to remain!
Further evidence of the deep division between the wishes of the Scottish electorate and those of England and Wales.IMO
Interesting times ahead.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.