Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284914 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #2205 on: January 25, 2020, 07:59:54 PM »
I think it’s a little too soon to be doing too much gloating about Brexit.

We were repeatedly told how the UK was going to fall apart if it left the EU. That's why I reproduced the article by a German with a very different viewpoint. He seems to think the EU is in danger of falling apart without the UK.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2206 on: January 25, 2020, 08:10:20 PM »
The EU is very much in danger of disintegrating in my view. Once other wealthy countries see how the UK can make a success of it outside of the EU dictatorship they too will be wanting the same freedoms. Watch this space.

The UK leaving will certainly put pressure on other wealthy EU countries.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2207 on: January 25, 2020, 11:24:21 PM »
We were repeatedly told how the UK was going to fall apart if it left the EU. That's why I reproduced the article by a German with a very different viewpoint. He seems to think the EU is in danger of falling apart without the UK.
One (German) man’s view, in one newspaper (The extremely pro-Brexit Daily Mail) making predictions and you think his views should be taken seriously why exactly?  You know there are many who disagree, what makes you so sure your man is calling it correctly?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2208 on: January 26, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
One (German) man’s view, in one newspaper (The extremely pro-Brexit Daily Mail) making predictions and you think his views should be taken seriously why exactly?  You know there are many who disagree, what makes you so sure your man is calling it correctly?

I can't predict the future and neither can all the remainers you kept quoting. Alexander Von Shoenburg's opinion is as valid as anyone else's and, in my opinion, he is being more realistic about the effect on the EU than most commentators. The loss of the UK's contribution to it's coffers is bound to have consequences.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2209 on: January 26, 2020, 09:23:13 AM »
I've bought an EU flag especially for the occasion, needless to say it won't be going home with me.  @)(++(*
Rod Liddle, as pro-Brexit as they come has this to day about your little party in today’s Sunday Times

“That the celebrations are primarily about schadenfreude is beyond doubt, otherwise they would have been held in Grimsby or Stoke or Hartlepool. I am taking my cue from a chap on social media planning to attend this jamboree of delighted vindictiveness: “Let the nose-rubbing begin!” The purpose is to gather and laugh at the people who lost, a finger raised at the Great Wen and its defeated inhabitants: Gina Miller, Baroness Hale with your stupid brooch, John Bercow, Tony Blair, Kenneth Clarke, the BBC — your boys took a hell of a beating, and so on.

Perhaps in my old age I am losing the ability to take joy from one of the simple things in life — untrammelled spite — but I do not fancy this shindig very much. Truth be told, I am bored by the weekly convocations of jabbering narcissists jumping up and down every day in Parliament Square and beyond, impinging themselves on the rest of us, even if I approve of the right to protest. Worse, it seems to me that the leavers are cloaking themselves in the attire of the very worst of the remainiacs, a kind of superior smugness with just a soupçon of hatred”.

"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2210 on: January 26, 2020, 09:24:32 AM »
I can't predict the future and neither can all the remainers you kept quoting. Alexander Von Shoenburg's opinion is as valid as anyone else's and, in my opinion, he is being more realistic about the effect on the EU than most commentators. The loss of the UK's contribution to it's coffers is bound to have consequences.
LOL at “as valid” and “more realistic “ in the same breath!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2211 on: January 26, 2020, 09:27:20 AM »
You don’t think that the likely loss of our ability to do frictionless trade with our biggest trading partners will have any effect on our coffers?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2212 on: January 26, 2020, 01:15:50 PM »
You don’t think that the likely loss of our ability to do frictionless trade with our biggest trading partners will have any effect on our coffers?

I think it works both ways; we may need to trade with them, but they need to trade with us too. Hopefully the EU will be more willing to negotiate now that the UK has a strong government with a clear mandate.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2213 on: January 26, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »
I think it works both ways; we may need to trade with them, but they need to trade with us too. Hopefully the EU will be more willing to negotiate now that the UK has a strong government with a clear mandate.
We "may" need to trade with them??  I think there's no "may" about it, unless you truly do want to see us plunged into deep economic misery.  Hopefully everything will be all hunky dory though, let's keep our fingers crossed cos really that's all we can do now. 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2214 on: January 26, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
We "may" need to trade with them??  I think there's no "may" about it, unless you truly do want to see us plunged into deep economic misery.  Hopefully everything will be all hunky dory though, let's keep our fingers crossed cos really that's all we can do now.

There may be businesses which have all their eggs in the EU basket, just as there may be EU businesses relying on the UK. I don't know. I do know that capitalism isn't kind to those who are inflexible. I grew up in a village where almost everyone worked for the same employer, and when that employer disappeared the village and it's population had to change to survive.

Sensible business people will have planned for the changes to come.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2215 on: January 26, 2020, 05:29:48 PM »
There may be businesses which have all their eggs in the EU basket, just as there may be EU businesses relying on the UK. I don't know. I do know that capitalism isn't kind to those who are inflexible. I grew up in a village where almost everyone worked for the same employer, and when that employer disappeared the village and it's population had to change to survive.

Sensible business people will have planned for the changes to come.
I think you’re both stating the obvious and being absurdly simplistic .   It’s not about being inflexible at business level, more about being inflexible in negotiations at a government level I would venture.  You seem to favour the completely inflexible “Brexit means Brexit and be damned” approach from what I can gather. 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2216 on: January 26, 2020, 09:56:59 PM »
I think you’re both stating the obvious and being absurdly simplistic .   It’s not about being inflexible at business level, more about being inflexible in negotiations at a government level I would venture.  You seem to favour the completely inflexible “Brexit means Brexit and be damned” approach from what I can gather.

The UK will be no longer a member of the EU. It's up to both sides to accept that fact and negotiate accordingly.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2217 on: January 26, 2020, 10:38:12 PM »
The UK will be no longer a member of the EU. It's up to both sides to accept that fact and negotiate accordingly.
Again, stating the bleedin’ obvious, thanks for that.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2218 on: January 27, 2020, 01:09:16 PM »
With Brexit happening we're seeing a different picture now. Macron is under pressure from French fishermen panicking at the prospect of losing access to UK waters. Barnier fears the loss of millions of jobs accross Europe. There are rumours that other countries will follow the UK's lead.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2219 on: January 27, 2020, 05:55:37 PM »
With Brexit happening we're seeing a different picture now. Macron is under pressure from French fishermen panicking at the prospect of losing access to UK waters. Barnier fears the loss of millions of jobs accross Europe. There are rumours that other countries will follow the UK's lead.
Sounds like you’re spreading rumours yourself,  I thought you were a fact-based kinda gal?