Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 219990 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
Let's hope the PJ have the presence of mind to search his home for a maroon t-shirt with a large white circle on the back or anything else which could be of significance to past endeavours.  Would also be interesting to know the nationality of this unfortunate thief?

Maroon t-shirt man was after girls allegedly. No girls in this villa. Does everyone keep their old clothes for years like Crecheman? I have regular purges on mine.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
Regulars will recall that Vilamoura has come up previously wrt a suspect!   It will be interesting to see if this case becomes one of accidental homicide.

I see Martin Brunt is claiming the man was asphyxiated which if true could result in charges of culpable homicide.

That was my concern too, John.

I hope not as they will be feeling bad enough about the man dying without having to account for it in court into the bargain.

The human factor apart ... it is interesting ... he was alive when the GNR arrived on the scene and was under restraint while being handcuffed.  Therefore who was restraining him ... civilian or soldier? ... and was he arrested making this a death in custody?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2015, 03:53:49 PM »
That was my concern too, John.

I hope not as they will be feeling bad enough about the man dying without having to account for it in court into the bargain.

The human factor apart ... it is interesting ... he was alive when the GNR arrived on the scene and was under restraint while being handcuffed.  Therefore who was restraining him ... civilian or soldier? ... and was he arrested making this a death in custody?

maybe the clue is in...

They caught the burglar red-handed with stolen goods in his pockets including the key to the family’s Jaguar.
When the GNR police officers arrived the man was reportedly being restrained by one of the Britons who allegedly had his arm around the criminal’s neck.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »
maybe the clue is in...

Portuguese law does allow people people the right to defend their property the level of self-defence being proportional.

Both father and son sustained minor injury during the fracas ... so it will remain for the public prosecutor to decide an appropriate course of action.

However all the reports I have read agree the intruder was alive when the GNR arrived and was being handcuffed when he died ... which leads one to wonder why the son of the house was still having to restrain him in the presence of the military.
http://news.sky.com/story/1556421/britons-under-house-arrest-after-burglar-dies
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2015, 06:13:25 PM »
Portuguese law does allow people people the right to defend their property the level of self-defence being proportional.

Both father and son sustained minor injury during the fracas ... so it will remain for the public prosecutor to decide an appropriate course of action.

However all the reports I have read agree the intruder was alive when the GNR arrived and was being handcuffed when he died ... which leads one to wonder why the son of the house was still having to restrain him in the presence of the military.

Perhaps he was enjoying himself and got a little carried away.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline mercury

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2015, 07:38:09 PM »

Most of the reports I have read state the gnr were preparing to handcuff him when he died not that they were handcuffing him....could be a heart attack
Anyway this has nothng to do wth Madeleine McCann
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:40:27 PM by mercury »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »
Most of the reports I have read state the gnr were preparing to handcuff him when he died not that they were handcuffing him....could be a heart attack
Anyway this has nothng to do wth Madeleine McCann

Appears the burglar was in his mid twenties so not the middle aged overweight sweaty suspect sought over the other reported intrusions and assaults.

I cannot believe Sky sent Brunty back to Portugal for this case, he obviously hadn't much else to do.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline jassi

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
Appears the burglar was in his mid twenties so not the middle aged overweight sweaty suspect sought over the other reported intrusions and assaults.

I cannot believe Sky sent Brunty back to Portugal for this case, he obviously hadn't much else to do.

Clearly had to slim down to squeeze through those tiny windows  8(0(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Admin

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2015, 03:49:28 AM »
Algarve Residents Worry Despite Crime Drop

As police investigate the death of a suspected burglar in Vilamoura, residents on the Algarve say they are concerned about crime.

By Martin Brunt
Sky News Crime Correspondent

Police statistics for the Algarve coast show that crime has been falling steadily since the high levels of 2008.

At that time a wave of burglaries provided rich pickings for companies selling burglar alarms to well-heeled owners of the luxury villas built around the big resorts of estates such Vilamoura.

Latest figures from the Justice Department show an annual 9.3% drop in overall crime in the Algarve and a 6.9% fall for the whole of Portugal.

But residents here are just as concerned as they ever were about break-ins, especially in the wake of the Taylors' experience  of confronting and restraining an intruder who then died in their home on Sunday.

Drive through any of the bougainvillea-edged streets of Vilamoura and you will pass high walls, spiked gates, CCTV cameras and burglar alarms. Some residents put their faith in guard dogs.

David Thomas set up the Algarve Association of Safe Communities in 2011 to teach residents what they could do to lessen the risk of a break-in.

He said: "Seven years ago the level of property crime was pretty high and the burglar alarm companies fought each other for business.

"But it has decreased significantly, due to a number of factors including high police presence and community awareness."

The area's detective force has also been successful in combating organised crime gangs and driving many away from the region.

Read more

http://news.sky.com/story/1557070/algarve-residents-worry-despite-crime-drop

Offline mercury

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2015, 03:59:12 AM »

Yeah sad isn't it lol

hope he lights candles every moment he  has for brenda the dickhead
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:01:37 AM by mercury »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
Algarve Residents Worry Despite Crime Drop

As police investigate the death of a suspected burglar in Vilamoura, residents on the Algarve say they are concerned about crime.

Police statistics for the Algarve coast show that crime has been falling steadily since the high levels of 2008.

At that time a wave of burglaries provided rich pickings for companies selling burglar alarms to well-heeled owners of the luxury villas built around the big resorts of estates such Vilamoura.

He said: "Seven years ago the level of property crime was pretty high and the burglar alarm companies fought each other for business.

"But it has decreased significantly, due to a number of factors including high police presence and community awareness."

The area's detective force has also been successful in combating organised crime gangs and driving many away from the region.

The one local input I have heard on this came from Portuguese owners we were renting from, in Luz.  They said crime had dropped, but the reason they gave was that as the Portuguese economy plummeted, those carrying out the crimes had moved to countries where there was more work, notably Brazil.

And despite now having lived in 8 properties out here, 7 in or around Luz, I have yet to live in one that has a burglar alarm fitted.
What's up, old man?

Offline Anna

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »
09/23/2015 04:30
Dead thief assault served eight years of jail
Paulo Brito had left two months ago from prison.

By John Mira Godinho, James Griff

Paulo Brito, the thief who was killed in an assault on the house of an English family in Vilamoura, had been out for about two months in prison, where he served eight years of a sentence for theft and other theft crimes. Already known to the authorities, 'Bombinho' as he was known, 35, had also been accused of coercion on employee for threats to a GNR post of Albufeira.

The CM, Victor's brother Paul, said yesterday that "he was arrested and made many mistakes but was trying to turn his life around." The truth is that 'Bombinho' was, 04h00 on Sunday morning, inside the Jill and Trevor Taylor's house, 61 and 60 years.

The couple faced the intruder and with the help of his son, Scott, 31, managed to master it. Then Scott kept Paul bound by the neck with his arm 'tourniquet', until the arrival of GNR. When dropped, the thief dropped dead on the floor. The first results indicate asphyxiation but the autopsy findings will still take up to be known as the doctor at the Institute of Forensic Medicine of Faro requested further tests, including toxicology analysis to the body.

For Victor, the brother of Paul, "the investigation has to be made, the authorities have to discover the causes of death, because he did not have any health problems."

The English were heard by the PJ, who took over the investigation, and made defendants. The information was then sent to the prosecutor, who will decide whether to charge target. They were subject to term of identity and residence but Scott, who lives in England, can leave Portugal.
http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/nacional/portugal/detalhe/cumpriu_oito_anos_de_prisao.html

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/&prev=search
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Admin

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2015, 01:36:40 PM »
09/23/2015 04:30
Dead thief assault served eight years of jail
Paulo Brito had left two months ago from prison.

By John Mira Godinho, James Griff

Paulo Brito, the thief who was killed in an assault on the house of an English family in Vilamoura, had been out for about two months in prison, where he served eight years of a sentence for theft and other theft crimes. Already known to the authorities, 'Bombinho' as he was known, 35, had also been accused of coercion on employee for threats to a GNR post of Albufeira.

The CM, Victor's brother Paul, said yesterday that "he was arrested and made many mistakes but was trying to turn his life around." The truth is that 'Bombinho' was, 04h00 on Sunday morning, inside the Jill and Trevor Taylor's house, 61 and 60 years.

The couple faced the intruder and with the help of his son, Scott, 31, managed to master it. Then Scott kept Paul bound by the neck with his arm 'tourniquet', until the arrival of GNR. When dropped, the thief dropped dead on the floor. The first results indicate asphyxiation but the autopsy findings will still take up to be known as the doctor at the Institute of Forensic Medicine of Faro requested further tests, including toxicology analysis to the body.

For Victor, the brother of Paul, "the investigation has to be made, the authorities have to discover the causes of death, because he did not have any health problems."

The English were heard by the PJ, who took over the investigation, and made defendants. The information was then sent to the prosecutor, who will decide whether to charge target. They were subject to term of identity and residence but Scott, who lives in England, can leave Portugal.
http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/nacional/portugal/detalhe/cumpriu_oito_anos_de_prisao.html

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/&prev=search

This will send out a powerful message to sneak thieves and burglars on the Algarve.  Mess with us Brits at your peril!

Offline John

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2015, 03:20:40 PM »
The one local input I have heard on this came from Portuguese owners we were renting from, in Luz.  They said crime had dropped, but the reason they gave was that as the Portuguese economy plummeted, those carrying out the crimes had moved to countries where there was more work, notably Brazil.

And despite now having lived in 8 properties out here, 7 in or around Luz, I have yet to live in one that has a burglar alarm fitted.

Slightly off topic geographically but related all the same.   I have noticed a dramatic increase in burglaries in my area of the Costa Blanca, something which was unheard of a few years ago.  I fear times are a changing me dears and for the worse.   8(8-))
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »
I see tonight the father and son in Portugal have been declared defendants.