Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 281196 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #1020 on: February 11, 2019, 09:18:49 AM »
A perfect example of misleading disinformation in the Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8397909/eating-dogs-illegal-brexit-bill/

At first glance, I could interpret that to mean nasty EU migrants do eat dogs and cats and that Brexit is going to outlaw thhe (posssibly widespread, but hidden dining practice).

What's the difference between the UK banning eating puppies and kittens and the scenario that 77m Turks were going to suddenly claim asylum under your bed?

An article that offers a bit more information on this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46553064

In reality, it appears to be a legal loophole that needs to be closed.

Nuance. But one that can influence people to vote based on emotional reactions.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1021 on: February 11, 2019, 09:40:17 AM »
From a pragmatic perspective, the UK and the EU will have to work out at least some temporary emergency arrangements. The country would sink even further if there were to be a tsunami of UK emigrants having to come back to the UK with no place to go, some possibly with illnesses requiring check-ups and medication.

But then I thought the Transport Secretary was on top of things... probably not all his fault if he's swamped, and there's not enough staff.

Wouldn't hurt to contact a UK consulate if you can.

Ever since I arrived here someone has been jumping up and down saying that you've got to do this or you've got to do that.  None of it has ever been true.

I have to go to the Caisse de Maladie before the end of March to renew my Health Insurance Assistance as you have to do this once a year, senile or not.  My son always comes with me.  They are ever very helpful and speak excellent English.

Should I come up against a problem I will go into my. "Can't speak French and I am not the whole shilling Mode", which I am quite good at.  And someone will help me.

One of the things I so love about this place is that they have enormous respect and kindness for the aged,  It has always been about The Peasants here, and probably already have an alternative in place should they need it.

I was offered a supplementary French upgrade on my British Pension of 200 Euros a month, but they can recover at least some of this from one's Estate when one is dead.  So I can't have that as I am not leaving that sort of debt to my children.
And it's swings and roundabouts for me anyway, as I would lose other things, like The Food Bank if I had accepted.

The Food Bank is not a Benefit.  It's a Charitable hand out, although no one is ever made to feel like this, and saves me at least 150 Euros a month.

So for the moment I am taking my chances.

Offline John

« Reply #1022 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
Ever since I arrived here someone has been jumping up and down saying that you've got to do this or you've got to do that.  None of it has ever been true.

I have to go to the Caisse de Maladie before the end of March to renew my Health Insurance Assistance as you have to do this once a year, senile or not.  My son always comes with me.  They are ever very helpful and speak excellent English.

Should I come up against a problem I will go into my. "Can't speak French and I am not the whole shilling Mode", which I am quite good at.  And someone will help me.

One of the things I so love about this place is that they have enormous respect and kindness for the aged,  It has always been about The Peasants here, and probably already have an alternative in place should they need it.

I was offered a supplementary French upgrade on my British Pension of 200 Euros a month, but they can recover at least some of this from one's Estate when one is dead.  So I can't have that as I am not leaving that sort of debt to my children.
And it's swings and roundabouts for me anyway, as I would lose other things, like The Food Bank if I had accepted.

The Food Bank is not a Benefit.  It's a Charitable hand out, although no one is ever made to feel like this, and saves me at least 150 Euros a month.

So for the moment I am taking my chances.

I don't see a problem Eleanor, France and Spain need British people to buy their products and spend money in their shops so I believe reciprocation will be the key word after Brexit. In all reality France will probably want Frexit if the right continues to gain strength in France and who knows which cards will fall after that. Could be the end of the EU but the creation of a new common market.

On thing the people of France and Britain agree over though is that non EU immigration must end.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:17:29 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1023 on: February 11, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »
I don't see a problem Eleanor, France and Spain need British people to buy their products and spend money in their shops so I believe reciprocation will be the key word after Brexit. In all reality France will probably want Frexit if the right continues to gain strength in France and who knows which cards will fall after that. Could be the end of the EU but the creation of a new common market.

On thing the people of France and Britain agree over though is that non EU immigration must end.

It is almost impossible to stop non EU immigrants entering France because the French borders are too wide and are uncontrollable.  The influx will always head for Britain because France isn't such an easy touch.

I wouldn't bank on the far right in France.  Everyone I know thinks they are a waste of space.  In fact, I suspect that France lives in a bubble of its own ideas, and merely pays lip service to The EU, when it isn't getting all Gillet Jeune about something that only matters to France.

Certainly, France and Spain need British Holiday Makers.

Somedebody hasn't thought it through before mouthing off with their silly scare tactics.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #1024 on: February 11, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »
A perfect example of misleading disinformation in the Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/8397909/eating-dogs-illegal-brexit-bill/

At first glance, I could interpret that to mean nasty EU migrants do eat dogs and cats and that Brexit is going to outlaw thhe (posssibly widespread, but hidden dining practice).

What's the difference between the UK banning eating puppies and kittens and the scenario that 77m Turks were going to suddenly claim asylum under your bed?

An article that offers a bit more information on this:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46553064

In reality, it appears to be a legal loophole that needs to be closed.

Nuance. But one that can influence people to vote based on emotional reactions.

Doesn't this disinformation work both ways Carana. It would appear that the majority of the UK media and establishment are pushing the "crashing out" theme.   

When the referendum vote was mooted we heard of crashes in the pound's value if we had a vote to leave the EU. Nothing of the sort happened at all.

We also hear the Governor of the Bank of England making up fairy stories regarding house prices "crashing" down by 30% with no evidence of where he has achieved this amazing figure. Demand and supply rules will always apply in this case. Demand for houses is higher than supply unless the banks, building societies refuse to lend.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Sunny

« Reply #1025 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Carana

« Reply #1026 on: February 11, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »
Doesn't this disinformation work both ways Carana. It would appear that the majority of the UK media and establishment are pushing the "crashing out" theme.   

When the referendum vote was mooted we heard of crashes in the pound's value if we had a vote to leave the EU. Nothing of the sort happened at all.

We also hear the Governor of the Bank of England making up fairy stories regarding house prices "crashing" down by 30% with no evidence of where he has achieved this amazing figure. Demand and supply rules will always apply in this case. Demand for houses is higher than supply unless the banks, building societies refuse to lend.

I don't think he was making up fairy stories (he's not alone making these decisions and there's apparently a lot of hard number-crunching that goes into it). The BoE's job is to be prepared for worst-case scenarios. If they don't materialise, fine, but if they do, the country has to be prepared.

Even so, I'm not sure how you'd describe the £/€.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=5Y

The property market hasn't crashed, but I haven't kept up with where that's going.

Coverage in the media is mixed.

There's quite a bit of controversy over the BBC's coverage at the moment, particularly Question Time, from what I'm reading.

The bottom line is still that the clock is ticking fast, and no one seems to have a clue what's going to happen. Personally, I find that worrying.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1027 on: February 11, 2019, 04:26:15 PM »
Here are a few more "lies" by the remain camp.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1068271/brexit-news-eu-uk-referendum-2016-leave-remain-campaign-spt

I'll have a look at that later. Quite a bit of that seems rather misleading.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1028 on: February 11, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »

I think you’ll find something of the sort DID happen vis-a-vis the pound as this five year graph illustrates

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/currency
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #1029 on: February 11, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »
I think you’ll find something of the sort DID happen vis-a-vis the pound as this five year graph illustrates

And vis-à-vis the € (posted a link further up).

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #1030 on: February 11, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »

A weak pound is a bonanza for exports
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1031 on: February 11, 2019, 06:43:08 PM »
Did people vote to leave the Single Market, the Customs Union, or both?

Here’s a bunch of tw@ts who used to think Norway and the Single Market was the way to go but have since the referendum have seemingly changed their minds
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGt3QmRSZY
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1032 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »
A weak pound is a bonanza for exports
So have we had a bonanza two years of trade then?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1033 on: February 11, 2019, 07:01:05 PM »
If a hard Brexit really is going to be such a bonanza boon for British businesses, why are so many business leaders and CEOs against a no deal scenario?  Are they all stupid?  Do they not want to make oodles of profit and squillions of pounds from all the opportunites that a weak pound and WTO rules will afford them?

Offline Carana

« Reply #1034 on: February 11, 2019, 08:00:01 PM »
Government to miss Brexit trade deal target
https://news.sky.com/story/government-to-miss-brexit-trade-deal-target-11634661

But, but, they were all supposed have been negotiated over a cup of tea and ready for midnight...