Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius trial commences in Pretoria, South Africa. Includes Court video.  (Read 152980 times)

Offline John

Always welcome Tim

I think they are at lunch now

I haven't had a chance to review the footage so can anyone who has provide a synopsis of recent events.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Tim Invictus

I haven't had a chance to review the footage so can anyone who has provide a synopsis of recent events.

Just more bumbling from OP's defence in my opinion. Wolmarans finished his unimpressive evidence and stuttered and repeated himself continuously thru his cross examination. Then came the final witness; a psychologist stating OP suffers from an anxiety disorder. She was only brought into the case on 2nd May .... this year!

A last desperate measure!

Offline Anna

Round ups etc.................I forgot  8-)(--)

Week 7 round up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27346441
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Todays News

Oscar Pistorius has 'anxiety disorder' says psychiatrist
3 hours ago
Oscar Pistorius has had an anxiety disorder since childhood and was "anxious" about violent crime, a psychiatrist has told his murder trial in South Africa.
Merryll Vorster said that the athlete's actions when he shot his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year "should be seen in context of his anxiety".
The double-amputee Paralympian denies intentionally killing Reeva Steenkamp.
Ms Vorster told the court: "He is certainly remorseful about the events... and has developed a depressive disorder as a consequence of this."
Read more

Merryll Vorster: Pistorius "is certainly remorseful about the events... and has developed a depressive disorder"
Continue reading the main story
South African Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has had an anxiety disorder since childhood and was "anxious" about violent crime, a psychiatrist has told his murder trial.
His actions when he shot his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year "should be seen in context of his anxiety," Merryll Vorster said.
The prosecution dramatically asked for him to undergo mental observation.
The double-amputee Paralympian denies intentionally killing Reeva Steenkamp.
'Fight rather than flight'
Analysis Andrew Harding Africa correspondent

This was a day of unexpected drama in courtroom GD, with the possibility of a lengthy delay now hanging uncomfortably in the air.
Speaking in court immediately after the adjournment, Oscar Pistorius told me the prosecution's application to refer him for further psychiatric evaluation was "a joke" and insisted that today's evidence from Dr Merryll Vorster had "gone well".
But the course of this already extended trial now hinges on Judge Masipa's decision - likely on Tuesday - on whether to grant the prosecution's request.
The defence has always maintained that the athlete's disability and vulnerability would play an important role in their case - hence today's expert who diagnosed his "general anxiety disorder". It is now clear Mr Pistorius' team feel Prosecutor Gerrie Nel is "playing games".
But the state believes the psychiatrist's evidence is further proof that the athlete is changing his defence - from putative self-defence, to an accidental shooting, to something now linked to his state of mind.
From what I have gleaned from numerous sources in court, it is likely that Judge Masipa will not grant the prosecution its request, but we shall know for certain only when she announces her decision.
Read more from Andrew
The BBC's Milton Nkosi says it is as if tectonic plates are shifting at the trial as the prosecution moved towards getting permission from the judge for Mr Pistorius to be mentally assessed.
The defence opposed the application before the court adjourned on Monday. It will reconvene on Tuesday.
If the prosecution request is granted, Mr Pistorius may spend up to 30 days in a state mental health institution for observation and assessment of his mental health.
It was expected that the defence would conclude its case by the end of this week - after which both sides would have an opportunity to present their closing arguments.
Mr Pistorius says he accidentally shot Ms Steenkamp through the toilet door in a state of panic, mistaking the 29-year-old model and law graduate for an intruder.
Giving evidence on Monday, Dr Vorster said that Mr Pistorius was more likely to respond to any threat with "fight" rather than "flight".
The anxiety disorder was the result of surgery at the age of 11 months to remove his lower legs, she said, a "traumatic assault" for an infant at that age.
She said that Mr Pistorius felt remorse over Ms Steenkamp's death.
"He feels guilty and has developed a depressive disorder as a result," she said.
Family members of South African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius attended his trial on Monday
The couple had been dating for just a few months when she was shot dead in 2013
The psychiatrist said that the reactions of Mr Pistorius in the early hours of 14 February 2013 would have been different to that of a "normal, able-bodied person without generalised anxiety disorder".
However, she said that this would not have affected his ability to distinguish between right and wrong and that it was up to the court to decide whether his anxiety disorder - from which he had suffered since childhood - diminished his responsibility.
"I think the generalised anxiety is relevant to the case. But the court will have to decide," she said.
“Start Quote
[His father was] largely absent, and his mother was anxious, sleeping with a firearm under her pillow”
End Quote Merryll Vorster Psychiatrist 'Danger to society'
Dr Vorster said generalised anxiety disorders are not uncommon, and were not signs of mental illness.
Safety measures at his home were "out of proportion" to the threat of crime in South Africa, she said.
She said that Mr Pistorius' parents separated when he was six and his father was not a responsible parent.
"[He was] largely absent, and his mother was anxious, sleeping with a firearm under her pillow," she said.
She said that his mother's death in March 2002 meant that he lost an "emotional attachment figure".
The order and trajectory of bullets that killed Reeva Steenkamp is a key part of the case
Mr Pistorius suffered bouts of anxiety as child because of his parents' separation and his disability, a psychiatrist said State prosecutor Gerrie Nel says that Mr Pistorius shot Reeva Steenkamp dead after a row
State prosecutor Gerrie Nel asked Ms Vorster whether someone with anxiety disorder plus guns would be "a danger to society".
"Yes," she replied.
There are no juries at trials in South Africa, so the athlete's fate will ultimately be decided by Judge Thokozile Masipa, assisted by two assessors.
If found guilty, Mr Pistorius - a national sporting hero dubbed the "blade runner" because of the prosthetic limbs he wears to race - could face life imprisonment.
If he is acquitted of murder, the court must consider an alternative charge of culpable homicide, for which he could receive about 15 years in prison.
INTERACTIVE
Mr Pistorius said in his statement at the start of the trial that he woke in the early hours and walked on his stumps to the balcony, pulled in two fans, closed the sliding door and drew curtains. He said that shortly before he had spoken to Reeva, who was in bed beside him.
He said he rejected prosecution claims that a witness heard arguing coming from the house before the shooting.
2. Bathroom window
Mr Pistorius said he heard the bathroom window sliding open and believed that an intruder, or intruders, had entered the bathroom through a window which was not fitted with burglar bars.
"Unbeknown to me, Reeva must have gone to the toilet in the bathroom at the time I brought in the fans," he said.
Mr Pistorius said he approached the bathroom armed with his firearm, to defend himself and his girlfriend, believing Ms Steenkamp was still in bed.
3. Shooting
Both sides agree four bullets were fired. Ms Steenkamp was hit three times.
Mr Pistorius said he fired his weapon after hearing a noise in the toilet which he thought was the intruder coming out of the toilet to attack him and Ms Steenkamp.
He said he was in a fearful state, knowing he was on his stumps and unable to run away or properly defend himself.
Mr Pistorius said he rejected claims that he was on his prostheses when he shot at the door.
A witness told the trial she woke to hear a woman screaming and a man shouting for help. She said that after the screams she heard four shots.
4. Bedroom
Mr Pistorius said he went back to the bedroom after shooting at the toilet door, still shouting for Reeva. Lifting himself up onto the bed, he felt over to the right hand side of it and noticed Ms Steenkamp was not there.
Mr Pistorius said this was when he realised she could have been in the toilet.
5. Toilet door
Mr Pistorius said he went back to the bathroom but the toilet was locked, so he returned to the bedroom, pulled on his prosthetic legs, turned on the lights before bashing in the toilet door with a cricket bat.
Forensics expert Johannes Vermeulen told the court that the height of the marks on the door caused by the cricket bat suggest Mr Pistorius was on his stumps at the time.
6. Emergency calls
Mr Pistorius's defence team say he then called security at the gated housing complex and a private paramedic service before carrying Ms Steenkamp downstairs.
A security guard claimed it was the other way round, and he had called Mr Pistorius first after reports of gunfire. However, phone records shown to the court revealed Mr Pistorius called the estate manager at 3:19am, a minute later he called the ambulance service and at 3:21am he called estate security.
A minute later he received an incoming call - estate security calling him back.
According to police phone expert Francois Moller, Mr Pistorius called his friend Justin Divaris a short time later and just after 4:00am he called his
 brother Carl.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27371430
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Wonderfulspam

Put Oscar Pistorius under psychiatric observation, prosecutor requests

Gerrie Nel seeks study of Pistorius's mental health after psychiatrist's testimony for defence about athlete's anxiety

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/12/oscar-pistorius-psychiatric-observation-prosecutor
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Anna

― Plato

Offline Tim Invictus

Tomorrow morn (wed) we find out if Pistorius is going to be refereed for 30 days for psychiatric observation because the shrink says he suffers from an anxiety disorder!

This is ridiculous; at no stage has the defence claimed any diminished responsibility. OP doesn't want to claim any disorder and until the shrink piped up, no witness or evidence suggested any mental defect. The defence should be able to state they do not claim any psychiatric disorder and if they lose the case, this will not constitute any part of an appeal!

I understand the state is covering all bases but imo if the defence doesn't claim it, the court should not impose it!

Offline Anna

Tomorrow morn (wed) we find out if Pistorius is going to be refereed for 30 days for psychiatric observation because the shrink says he suffers from an anxiety disorder!

This is ridiculous; at no stage has the defence claimed any diminished responsibility. OP doesn't want to claim any disorder and until the shrink piped up, no witness or evidence suggested any mental defect. The defence should be able to state they do not claim any psychiatric disorder and if they lose the case, this will not constitute any part of an appeal!

I understand the state is covering all bases but imo if the defence doesn't claim it, the court should not impose it!

I felt this mental health thing might happen, when Dewani was detained in a hospital and could possibly be deemed unfit to stand trial. There is no other fall back now for OP! IMO
― Plato

Offline Brietta

I've just been able to finish watching the videos of the trial so far, and think the excellent Dr Vorster was only called because the case for the defence is such a shambles and the evidence of witnesses called has been consistently shredded.
The argument between defence and prosecution was fascinating, although it took some concentration to follow.

I think the state prosecutor is being so insistent about referral because of the precedent he quoted of which he has personal experience.  I think if the judge allows his request the court will be treating OP fairly without compromising justice for Reeva.
It is my opinion that he had to be suffering from some sort of insanity or be under the influence of some powerful hallucinogenic drug - which was never suggested - to do what he did.

It will be interesting to see how the judge deals with it.

It is my understanding that Mr Nel wants to leave no room for appeal to a higher court, and perhaps having the  decision of the present court overturned.  The referral will eliminate that ground for appeal at least.
Is that correct?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:46:19 PM by Brietta »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Tim Invictus

I've just been able to finish watching the videos of the trial so far, and think the excellent Dr Foster was only called because the case for the defence is such a shambles and the evidence of witnesses called has been consistently shredded.
The argument between defence and prosecution was fascinating, although it took some concentration to follow.

I think the state prosecutor is being so insistent about referral because of the precedent he quoted of which he has personal experience.  I think if the judge allows his request the court will be treating OP fairly without compromising justice for Reeva.
It is my opinion that he had to be suffering from some sort of insanity or be under the influence of some powerful hallucinogenic drug - which was never suggested - to do what he did.

It will be interesting to see how the judge deals with it.

It is my understanding that Mr Nel wants to leave no room for appeal to a higher court, and perhaps having the  decision of the present court overturned.  The referral will eliminate that ground for appeal at least.
Is that correct?

My understanding is you are correct. Nel is covering all bases and I think the judge will refer Pistorius to cover her own arse ..... I hope he doesn't get referred but fear he will.

Interesting your point about drugs. OP left Reeva basically dying in his foyer to go upstairs supposedly to get Reeva's ID. I have often wondered if he was actually flushing away either performance enhancing or recreational drugs!

Offline Wonderfulspam

My understanding is you are correct. Nel is covering all bases and I think the judge will refer Pistorius to cover her own arse ..... I hope he doesn't get referred but fear he will.

Interesting your point about drugs. OP left Reeva basically dying in his foyer to go upstairs supposedly to get Reeva's ID. I have often wondered if he was actually flushing away either performance enhancing or recreational drugs!

No, the bog bowl was full of Reeva's blood & they also fished a bullet cartridge out of it.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Tim Invictus

No, the bog bowl was full of Reeva's blood & they also fished a bullet cartridge out of it.

Very true spammy! Thanks.
Although I imagine a biggish house like that had another loo downstairs. He could have brought it down and used that one ..... pure speculation of course!

Offline John

Many thanks for the updates guys.  I can't believe this latest stuff alleging some psychiatric disorder has only now been suggested.  Oscar undoubtedly has had issues in his childhood over the amputations and losing his mother but these must not be used as excuses for committing murder.

Nel is brilliant, the defence appear to be in total disarray. Nel's exceptional experience is beginning to shine through.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Tim Invictus

Many thanks for the updates guys.  I can't believe this latest stuff alleging some psychiatric disorder has only now been suggested.  Oscar undoubtedly has had issues in his childhood over the amputations and losing his mother but these must not be used as excuses for committing murder.

Nel is brilliant, the defence appear to be in total disarray. Nel's exceptional experience is beginning to shine through.

I agree John, Nel is a fantastic advocate.

They say the wheels of justice turn slowly.

I can't believe the judge added Pistorius should be assessed as an out patient so the poor killer isn't locked up for a month!

Offline John

Looks like Oscar is on his way to psychiatric evaluation of this alleged anxiety disorder. Point is wouldn't he be suffering from some sort of stress disorder now after what he did and the trial etc?  How the hell can they possibly say he had a disorder BEFORE he shot Reeva?  Totally bizarre!

ETA  I missed the bit about being an out patient. That's in case he doesn't injure someone else. Imagine if he did and him on a murder charge. Oh the repercussions!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:21:31 AM by John »

Offline Tim Invictus

Did anyone notice a very striking blonde sitting on the bench in front of Oscar yesterday. I thought it was quite eerie; she looked just like Reeva!