Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius trial commences in Pretoria, South Africa. Includes Court video.  (Read 152384 times)

Offline John

Did anyone notice a very striking blonde sitting on the bench in front of Oscar yesterday. I thought it was quite eerie; she looked just like Reeva!

She is the defence stenographer and yes, I thought that too.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Anna

Sorry for delay
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline John

Sterling work Anna, much appreciated. 8((()*/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:53:21 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Anna

Sterling work Ann, much appreciated. 8((()*/

I assume you mean "Anna" and if so, I am glad to be of help, you are welcome
― Plato

Offline Anna

Mr Pistorius denies intentionally killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day last year.
He says he accidentally shot her through the toilet door in a state of panic, mistaking the 29-year-old model and law graduate for an intruder.
Our correspondent says that Mr Pistorius could be evaluated for a minimum of 30 days at a psychiatric faculty as a result of the evaluation order.
Mr Pistorius's uncle, Arnold, welcomed Judge Thokozile Masipa's "thorough" ruling and says it gives family "confidence" in the justice system.

He said that he was fully confident of the judge's commitment to a fair trial.

Mr Nel said that the disorder diagnosis left him with no choice but to apply for an evaluation because the condition might have affected Mr Pistorius' behaviour on the night he killed Ms Steenkamp.
Legal experts say that the case may well hinge on the judge's understanding of the athlete's state of mind when he pulled the trigger.
They say the prosecution is keen to show that the defence keeps changing its reasons why Mr Pistorius fired his gun - from putative self-defence, to accidental shooting, and now to something linked to his anxiety disorder.
If found guilty of murder, Mr Pistorius could face life imprisonment. If he is acquitted of that charge, the court will consider an alternative charge of culpable homicide, for which he could receive about 15 years in prison.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27405303

I think that anyone not suffering anxiety after a killing someone and then a enduring lengthy trial, would be unstable.
They have got it “A… about face“. Does he look anxious? 

― Plato

Offline Tim Invictus

It's like Shrien Dewani, of course he is depressed he got caught for murder! Of course OP is anxious; he faces life in prison on stumps and his defence has been quite appalling!

What I don't understand is how the defence has been allowed to tailor their witnesses and evidence to what ever has been happening during the trial. The shrink was only instructed and interviewed OP after he had testified. The emotional support woman only came forward last week. Walmarrans was back at Oscar's house last week doing tests based upon court testimony.

It's like 'rent-a-witness' depending on how the trial is going! It's also a tacit admission that Roger Dixon and OP himself did awful jobs up on the stand!

The OP defence 'dream team' is nearly as incompetent as those jokers at Bamber's last failed CCRC appeal!

Offline Wonderfulspam

I've been watching Oscar's cross examination again.

It's interesting watching the reactions of Captain Chris Mangena, when Oscar tries to give his versions & Nel catches him out. Mr Mangena has these funny little smirks on his face as he listens to Oscar squirming.

If you watch Reeva's family you can see her Auntie muttering under her breath, at one point I'm sure I saw her muttering 'bullshit'.

I know the judge stressed that this isn't entertainment.

I disagree, it's the best courtroom drama I have ever seen.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Tim Invictus

It's interesting watching the reactions of Captain Chris Mangena, when Oscar tries to give his versions & Nel catches him out. Mr Mangena has these funny little smirks on his face as he listens to Oscar squirming.

If you watch Reeva's family you can see her Auntie muttering under her breath, at one point I'm sure I saw her muttering 'bullshit'.

You obviously didn't watch the Jodi Arias trial then! That bitch was on the stand for 18 straight days and the cross examination was riveting! Juan Martinez is another bulldog of a prosecutor and he tore Arias to shreds. Have a look!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Muq[Name removed]4B_9Kg

Becareful it's addictive!

Offline Brietta

I am very ashamed to admit that I agree.
I have found the whole process compelling ... despite the terrible events which have brought us here.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Anna

There's along way to go yet, before a verdict is reached. I Just hope its over before Christmas .
That heartbroken family need completion  8(8-))

This article says that he has already been sent for evaluation, but I believe the decision as to outpatient or admittance for a month, will be announced on Tuesday

Excerpt:=
Oscar Pistorius: why is the trial facing a 'significant' delay?

Athlete sent away for 30-day psychiatric evaluation but murder trial could be delayed even longer
LAST UPDATED AT 12:32 ON Wed 14 May 2014
==
OSCAR PISTORIUS is to be sent for a 30-day psychiatric evaluation in a state-run mental health institution, potentially causing a "significant delay" to his murder trial.
Judge Thokozile Masipa today granted a request from the prosecution that the athlete should undergo a proper psychiatric enquiry. It comes after defence witness Dr Merryll Vorster diagnosed Pistorius with 'generalised anxiety disorder'.
Vorster did not think he suffered with a mental illness, but conceded that Pistorius's ability to act in accordance with his understanding of right and wrong was affected by the disorder.
She said that his increased fear of crime, physical vulnerability and anxiety disorder may have affected his "flight or fight" response on the night that he shot his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Judge Masipa told the court this morning that evidence from Vorster, who only met with Pistorius twice, cannot replace a proper psychiatric enquiry. "A proper enquiry would ensure the accused receives a fair trial," she said.
The evaluation will need to determine whether or not Pistorius suffers from a "mental illness or mental defect" that makes him incapable of appreciating the "wrongfulness" of his act or of "acting in accordance with an appreciation of the wrongfulness of his act".
Not only will the observation take around 30 days, the waiting lists for inpatient treatment in Pretoria are reported to be several months long, which would cause a "significant delay" to the murder trial, says The Guardian.
Masipa has agreed with the defence that outpatient treatment would be preferable for Pistorius, as the aim of the referral is "not to punish the accused". This could reduce the delay, but experts are also expected to spend a further 30 days compiling their reports, meaning that the minimum delay is likely to be two months.
The Guardian notes that some believe Pistorius's defence has slipped up in calling Vorster as a witness and introducing the diagnosis of generalised anxiety disorder at such a late stage in the trial. Prosecutor Gerrie Nel yesterday accused the defence of changing its plea from putative self-defence to a psychiatric disorder.
The court will adjourn until Tuesday, when the full ruling on the referral will be given.

Oscar Pistorius 'lonely' and 'probably shouldn't own a gun'
13 May
OSCAR PISTORIUS was described as "lonely" today as he waits to find out if he will have to spend four weeks under observation in a psychiatric facility.
The athlete – on trial for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp – has been diagnosed with 'general anxiety disorder' by forensic psychiatrist Dr Meryl Vorster, who has been giving evidence in court.
Vorster has said the disorder may have played a role "to a degree" in his actions on the night of the shooting on 14 February last year.
Pistorius had friends "to avoid feeling lonely", she told the court. "They were not friends he could confide in." His sexual relationships tended to be short, she said, adding that he coped socially, but this was "superficial".
People suffering from the disorder are not "dangerous", said Vorster, but they should "probably not have firearms". She added: "That makes that person at risk of being involved in violent activities."
Vorster said that she would not expect Pistorius to remember exactly what happened at the time of the shooting because of the anxiety disorder and the fear he felt. But she said that Pistorius was still able to know what he was doing.
Prosecutor Gerrie Nel has argued that Pistorius should go for a 30-day psychiatric evaluation and suggested that the defence team may be using the Vorster's testimony as a fall-back defence.
He questioned why Vorster had been called in at such a late stage to evaluate Pistorius, reports The Guardian. "We will argue that the accused was not the most impressive witness," he said. "Now we have a witness being called by the defence saying that a psychiatric disorder may play a role in his actions... there should be red lights going off."
The defence and prosecution have disagreed on whether or not the disorder can be classed as a mental illness under South African law. The defence says it is not and claims there is "no merit" in the prosecution's application to have Pistorius undergo further tests.

Read more: http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/oscar-pistorius/53387/oscar-pistorius-denies-sinister-remark-reeva-s-friend#ixzz31nMcVc5H
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:25:11 PM by Anna »
― Plato

Offline Tim Invictus

Nothing shameful in finding live court proceedings fascinating imo. I would pay good money to have watched the Bamber trial.

I think we are all watching to see justice being done.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:28:31 PM by Tim Invictus »

Offline Wonderfulspam

Nothing shameful in finding live court proceedings fascinating imo. I would pay good money to have watched the Bamber trial.

I think we are all watching to see justice being done.

I wanna see him shot with one of them bullets he used on Reeva.

Not a fatal wound, just a really nasty hip explosion like he did to her.

A test to hear if he would scream like a girl or not & if it would be possible to hear him over the sound of the gunshot.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Anna

I don't think the punishment will fit the Crime, in this case!

When I first watched, it upset me to think ,that such a young innocent looking lad, could do such a thing and at an age similar to my grandchildren.

I changed my mind after being brave enough to watch a bit of the court action.....He looks too detached from it all and too "Goody Goody" to be real, but the evidence proves otherwise, IMO.

I wouldn't want him shot Spam, but a sensible sentence would be satisfying to a lot of people.

If he is deemed unfit to continue the trial and a plea of "diminished responsibility" or "temporary insanity" is introduced, what will happen to him? Will he be punished at all? Would he be safe around other people with his "Fight not flight" reactions?  >@@(*&)
― Plato

Offline Tim Invictus

When I first watched, it upset me to think ,that such a young innocent looking lad, could do such a thing and at an age similar to my grandchildren.

I changed my mind after being brave enough to watch a bit of the court action.....He looks too detached from it all and too "Goody Goody" to be real, but the evidence proves otherwise, IMO.

I wouldn't want him shot Spam, but a sensible sentence would be satisfying to a lot of people.

If he is deemed unfit to continue the trial and a plea of "diminished responsibility" or "temporary insanity" is introduced, what will happen to him? Will he be punished at all? Would he be safe around other people with his "Fight not flight" reactions?  >@@(*&)

Difficult to know what would happen. He has a vicious temper and goes into a rage; in my opinion that makes him a nasty bit of work but not mentally ill.

Offline Brietta

I don’t even know what the law might be in Britain never mind South Africa. 

I imagine if the murder trial could not continue because of diminished responsibility there would be a requirement for him to be detained in a psychiatric hospital where he could be treated. 

I think there must be some sanction or his defence would have led with this rather than the self defence plea they submitted.  Or maybe they were hoping for a 'get out of jail free card' because home invasion is a great fear in SA as can be seen by the number of gated and security guarded compounds there are.

Agreed, Anna, I don't think he is going to pay the full price for his actions.

I am convinced he murdered Reeva and I do not know what sort of aberration allowed him to fire those bullets at her.

Just need to wait and see what the judge decides about the evaluation.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....