Author Topic: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.  (Read 20317 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »
So most supporters became quite fond of a certain archiving dispatch, but not all understood what it's actual significance was.?

I would say most sceptics don't understand  the significance of the archiving despatch... As there was no evidence of any crime by the McCann's then logically... IMO.. That is evidence but not proof of innocence

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »
"but in the real world the processes are not dissimilar in many countries"  what does that mean?  Are the processes similar or different in many countries?

Google "dissimilar"
"dissimilar

adjective
not the same; different.
"a collection of dissimilar nations lacking overall homogeneity"

"but in the real world the processes are not dissimilar [not the same] in many countries"

Not not is a double negative becomes positive i.e. "not not the same" becomes "the same".

"but in the real world the processes are "the same" in many countries"

Alice is this what you meant? ".... but in the real world the processes are "the same" in many countries"

It is a standard English construction meaning: "more or less similar".
I would have normally just said "similar" but we might have ended up with half a dozen pages of pedantry so I elected to use "not dissimilar" to avoid that. Pious hopes on my part, on that score it would seem.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2018, 08:19:11 PM »
It is a standard English construction meaning: "more or less similar".
I would have normally just said "similar" but we might have ended up with half a dozen pages of pedantry so I elected to use "not dissimilar" to avoid that. Pious hopes on my part, on that score it would seem.
OK I see it now "not dissimilar" is equivalent to "more or less similar".  Thanks.
" ....  but in the real world the processes are "the same" in many countries"  becomes
".....  but in the real world the processes are "more or less similar" in many countries"

The processes are not exactly the same but not dissimilar. 

Google to the rescue!
"Dissimilar is the opposite of similar. You've probably heard that you should not use double negatives. Well with dissimilar, it's okay to say something like, "Art is not dissimilar to music in that it is a creative activity. Here, "not dissimilar" means similar."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:49:06 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
I feel "Perhaps you don't understand what it says?" is an ad hom argument even though it is a question.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
Do you have a cite not all understood... From the posts I've seen everyone understood it perfectly

It was what you said?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2018, 09:54:29 PM »
It was what you said?

Sceptics think supporters don't understand it... I would say supporters understand it perfectly..

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2018, 10:02:59 PM »

Put it this way I am trying to understand it and apply the rule that arguments should not be "ad hominem".

"ad hominem

adverb & adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"an ad hominem response"
relating to or associated with a particular person.
"the office was created ad hominem for Fenton""

The question "Perhaps you don't understand what it says?" is questioning a person's understanding and their potential to understand.
IMO it is definitely "directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining".

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:01:39 AM by Eleanor »
Moderation

Offline John

« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »
Put it this way I am trying to understand it and apply the rule that arguments should not be "ad hominem".

"ad hominem

adverb & adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"an ad hominem response"

The question "Perhaps you don't understand what it says?" is questioning a person's understanding and their potential to understand.
IMO it is definitely "directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining".

Absolutely Rob.  Criticism of other member's opinions and calling into question their understanding of the case is something which should be avoided. Every member has the equal right to air their genuinely held opinion or belief. If challenges are made then those challenges should address the facts and not the member's ability.

Constantly claiming that other posters are wrong without providing any facts to support such an assertion is tiresome.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:42:49 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
Absolutely Rob.  Criticism of other member's opinions and calling into question their understanding of the case is something which should be avoided. Every member has the equal right to air their genuinely held opinion or belief. If challenges are made then those challenges should address the facts and not the member's ability.

Constantly claiming that other posters are wrong without providing any facts to support such an assertion is tiresome.

Well said John.  I for one am sick of this type of posting.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline The General

« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
I haven't been here long, but Christopher Biggins, there's an inordinate amount of squabbling over semantics and minutiae. All this circular, irrelevant back biting is utterly futile and is counter productive.

...and no I can't provide a cite for that.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
I haven't been here long, but Christopher Biggins, there's an inordinate amount of squabbling over semantics and minutiae. All this circular, irrelevant back biting is utterly futile and is counter productive.

You don't have to.  Most of us are fed up with it.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »

It is my opinion that being counter productive is exactly what is intended in many instances.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »

"ad hominem

adverb & adjective
"an ad hominem response"

"an ad hominem response"

When I say IMO sceptics don't understand  the evidence then that is directed at the position they hold... Not the person... And is therefore not ad hom

If it's my opinion.... Am I not allowed to express my opinion... Im happy to justfy my opinion.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2018, 06:59:29 PM »

"an ad hominem response"

When I say IMO sceptics don't understand  the evidence then that is directed at the position they hold... Not the person... And is therefore not ad hom

If it's my opinion.... Am I not allowed to express my opinion... Im happy to justfy my opinion.
I think this debate is in response to a post made by SIL (now deleted) but I thought I'd let SIL know why I deleted the post IMO it was an "ad hom" argument.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:01:36 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2018, 07:00:49 PM »
I think this debate is in response to a post made by SIL (now deleted) but I thought I'd let SIL why I deleted the post IMO it was an "ad hom" argument.

You are right.  It was.  I agreed with you.