Author Topic: So what actual searching was there?  (Read 411484 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: So what actual searching was there?
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »
not when the police have decided they are guilty...which is what amaral has told us...the mccanns had already co operated ..answering hours of questions and telling the police what happenned

...or did the way the McCann's cooperated influence the police thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:55:17 PM by Slartibartfast »
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »
...or did the way the McCann's cooperated influence the police thoughts?

no...if you look at the archiving report it explains where the pj got it wrong

Offline Benice

« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
There was no reason why the McCanns and their family and friends shouldn't have joined the search teams during the week after Madeleine went missing.

Should I still search for my child myself once the police are involved?

Speak with the police to reach some agreement as to what you should do whilst they are searching, so that you do not duplicate each others’ efforts.

If you do head out to search for your child, ensure that someone remains in the family home - just in case your child returns home of your own accord.
http://www.closeronline.co.uk/2015/07/what-to-do-if-your-child-goes-missing

Any advice there - when you set out on your search - on how to deal with hundreds of reporters camped on your doorstep, starved of information from the police due to the secrecy laws - and desperate for 'copy' to send back to their editors?

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »
There was no reason why the McCanns and their family and friends shouldn't have joined the search teams during the week after Madeleine went missing.

Should I still search for my child myself once the police are involved?

Speak with the police to reach some agreement as to what you should do whilst they are searching, so that you do not duplicate each others’ efforts.

If you do head out to search for your child, ensure that someone remains in the family home - just in case your child returns home of your own accord.

As I have said I think that's a ridiculous idea...but it's a matter of opinion

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
Yes it does, if they have any sense.  Or do you think it's a good idea for them to come across the body of their child and then ruin the crime scene.
That is a real possibility.

Sense doesn't come into it though does it ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2015, 05:00:56 PM »
Sense doesn't come into it though does it ?

It should do.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »
no...if you look at the archiving report it explains where the pj got it wrong

Will you please tell us the page numbers of the report where this is explained?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #142 on: October 12, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
Any advice there - when you set out on your search - on how to deal with hundreds of reporters camped on your doorstep, starved of information from the police due to the secrecy laws - and desperate for 'copy' to send back to their editors?

1. Who brought the media to Praia da Luz? Oh yes, the McCanns and their friends.
2. Did the media chase them when they went jogging? Oh no, they had an agreement with them.

REMEMBER: ASK THE POLICE TO HELP WITH CONTACTING THE MEDIA - DO NOT DO SO YOURSELF.

This will help to make sure that any activity you carry out has the greatest chance of success and fits in with what the police are doing.

You should also discuss what information about the missing person should and should not be given to the media with the police officer investigating the case, as this may affect the investigation.

In rare cases, police may advise against publicity and if so, they will tell you the reasons for doing this.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Benice

« Reply #143 on: October 12, 2015, 05:58:16 PM »
1. Who brought the media to Praia da Luz? Oh yes, the McCanns and their friends.
2. Did the media chase them when they went jogging? Oh no, they had an agreement with them.

REMEMBER: ASK THE POLICE TO HELP WITH CONTACTING THE MEDIA - DO NOT DO SO YOURSELF.

This will help to make sure that any activity you carry out has the greatest chance of success and fits in with what the police are doing.

You should also discuss what information about the missing person should and should not be given to the media with the police officer investigating the case, as this may affect the investigation.

In rare cases, police may advise against publicity and if so, they will tell you the reasons for doing this.

The McCanns wouldn't have a clue that the Portuguese way was to NOT advertise missing children in the media.  That would be completely alien to them   All they would know is what happens in the UK.   As it happens they did not contact the media themselves, a friend of one of their friends did.  It was as a result of that info appearing on TV that hordes of reporters were sent off to Luz.  The McCanns didn't ask them to come and could have no idea that they were going to arrive in their hundreds.

The first appeal in Portugal re her disappearance and giving her description including her eye defect was on 5th May - at Amaral's instigation.   One occasion when IMO he could not be criticised for being slow off the mark.

IMO it was because of the huge press presence, which the McCanns had absolutely no control over, that C.Mitchell was sent out to help them to cope with.    And why not?  They had no experience of dealing with  the press.  They would have been lambs to the slaughter IMO.

Yes they did go out jogging - we have the photographs taken by the press to prove it.   But that was not during the first week - when IMO any attempt to go out and about in Luz would have been impossible due to the press attention they would have received.   I assume that when CM arrived he came to some kind of mutual arrangement with the press to allow the McCanns to go out without being pursued by reporters.  But that's guesswork on my part.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline pegasus

« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »
List of people who stated they actually searched behind that sofa that night
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:22:27 PM by pegasus »

Offline mercury

« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »
Do you think they should have told the police to go away- as they wanted to search rather then be interviewed and get a police operation underway.?  They knew a large no. of people were already searching.

IIRC Gerry was seen searching in the area of the swimming pool before the police arrived . He also went out again after the police left.

As soon as it was light - they both went out searching - and were seen returning by a GNR officer.

IIRC April Jones parents didn't search after the police arrived.  They were probably too distressed to function properly at that time.   In any case -  the advice of the police is for the parents to stay at home so that they are easily contactable if necessary - and in case the child returns.

After the massive number of Press arrived - it would have been impossible for the McCanns to go out searching IMO.  They would have been 'mobbed'by reporters.

I don't think anything  just stated the facts, you can't just read people's mindsets and situations, but their behaviour was odd at certain junctions, for example, the mother was sure immediately her child  was abducted but she left her two other babies alone to run to the restaraunt - how was she so sure the abductor (s) were not around the corner and might take the other kids!?

Offline mercury

« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2015, 11:17:52 PM »
How do you suggest they should have conducted their own search?

Should they perhaps have thumped on the Moyes apartment door ... demanded entry ... and start searching under beds and in cupboards?

What about the Fenn apartment?  Maybe they should have charged up there ... demanded entry and commenced searching?

If the police had been so minded they might have had the legal right to do so if invited in or if they had cause for suspicion ... they could have roused a magistrate to obtain a search warrant.  Distraught parents do not enjoy the privileges law enforcement does nor is it expected for them to do so.

Once a child is discovered missing, cannot be found in obvious places after a search and the authorities called in, the role of the parents is to be on hand to provide intelligence to assist the police organised search.

And another one who assumed my stating the facts was a criticism....but seeing as you asked, yes, they could have knocked on neighbours doors...in fact that's actually what some of them did, go knock on the the Moyes' door and Wilkins door..seeing as they were absent from their  flat a neighbour may have heard or seen something....would have potentially been more productive than havng all and sundry traipsing through their apartment contaminating and interfering with the crime scene! Which the public prosecutor has told us rendered collection of evidence compromised....

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »
And another one who assumed my stating the facts was a criticism....but seeing as you asked, yes, they could have knocked on neighbours doors...in fact that's actually what some of them did, go knock on the the Moyes' door and Wilkins door..seeing as they were absent from their  flat a neighbour may have heard or seen something....would have potentially been more productive than havng all and sundry traipsing through their apartment contaminating and interfering with the crime scene! Which the public prosecutor has told us rendered collection of evidence compromised....

It has always puzzled me why Kate didn't check with Tanner to see whether she had Madeleine. Any mother would check every possibility no matter how unlikely before being forced to accept the inevitable.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline mercury

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »
It has always puzzled me why Kate didn't check with Tanner to see whether she had Madeleine. Any mother would check every possibility no matter how unlikely before being forced to accept the inevitable.
Indeed
That crossed my mind years ago too
Little kids do go awol often though at night is not that common

Offline pegasus

« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2015, 02:12:39 AM »
And a list of people who stated they actually moved any items to check there was nothing behind/in/underneath when they looked in the wardrobes that night...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:16:16 AM by pegasus »