Author Topic: So what actual searching was there?  (Read 411051 times)

stephen25000

Re: So what actual searching was there?
« Reply #240 on: October 16, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
God help you if anything like this ever happens to you.

I would never have done or would do what they did.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #241 on: October 16, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
No - they have Family Liason Officers to do that.   

Not in the first instance they don't.  I find it astonishing that their daughter disappears and they don't even go round to the police station at some point the next morning.  You would think they were scared??

In fact it sounds awfully like a retake from the Leonor Cipriano case, she delayed contacting the police too!!
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #242 on: October 16, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »
No - they have Family Liason Officers to do that.   

When did the FLOs arrive?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:06:34 PM by Slartibartfast »
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #243 on: October 16, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
The McCanns were too traumatised to be involved in the initial searches...I find their behaviour absolutely normal
All this criticism is just the usual sceptic McCann bashing....
Quite predictable

Someone had the presence of mind to delete their call histories on their mobiles.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #244 on: October 16, 2015, 08:14:19 PM »
Not in the first instance they don't.  I find it astonishing that their daughter disappears and they don't even go round to the police station at some point the next morning.  You would think they were scared??

In fact it sounds awfully like a retake from the Leonor Cipriano case, she delayed contacting the police too!!
Technically, they did go round to the police station next morning, where next morning was 4 May 2007.
They got picked up by the PJ and were taken to the nearest PJ station, in Portimão, where they gave their first statements.

There is no police station in Luz, so they couldn't go to that.

The nearest GNR station is Lagos.  I can't tell you for certain whereabouts it is in the town.  But I doubt the GNR could have/would have given them an update.

The nearest PJ station is Portimão.  I only know of that (from news reports) and where it is 'cos I have trawled through Streetview trying to find it.

I dare say a taxi plus driver would have done the trick, but this was still at the stage when the McCanns were trying to work out who/what the GNR were and ditto the PJ were.  Calling a taxi and saying "take me to the nearest police station" would not have worked.
What's up, old man?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #245 on: October 16, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Technically, they did go round to the police station next morning, where next morning was 4 May 2007.
They got picked up by the PJ and were taken to the nearest PJ station, in Portimão, where they gave their first statements.

The nearest GNR station is Lagos.  I can't tell you for certain whereabouts it is in the town.  But I doubt the GNR could have/would have given them an update.

The nearest PJ station is Portimão.  I only know of that (from news reports) and where it is 'cos I have trawled through Streetview trying to find it.

I dare say a taxi plus driver would have done the trick, but this was still at the stage when the McCanns were trying to work out who/what the GNR were and ditto the PJ were.  Calling a taxi and saying "take me to the nearest police station" would not have worked.

Yes, they went to the police station after the police called to pick them up.  With so many 'friends' at their beckon call one would have thought they would have got there at first light ready to assist the search?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Admin

« Reply #246 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:10 PM »

The McCanns had both the Ocean Club and the Mark Warner managers at their disposal who were both very familiar with the police regime in the area.  It's not as if they were helpless and alone with no one to turn to.

Offline Benice

« Reply #247 on: October 16, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »

Why would they go to the police station when they had been told by the PJ that they would be back the next morning at 9.00a.m?

IIRC Leanor Cipriano approached a GNR officer whilst she was out searching and was told by him that if her daughter did not return she should go to the police station the next morning and report it.    (from memory so am happy to retract if that is not correct)

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Benice

« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2015, 12:04:01 AM »
Yes, they went to the police station after the police called to pick them up.  With so many 'friends' at their beckon call one would have thought they would have got there at first light ready to assist the search?

At first light they were out searching themselves.   Why would they travel miles to a police station when by that time they would be aware of the phone no. of the police station concerned and could simply call them?
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2015, 12:47:25 AM »
At first light they were out searching themselves.   Why would they travel miles to a police station when by that time they would be aware of the phone no. of the police station concerned and could simply call them?

And did they call them ? There is certainly no mention of a phone call in Madeleine.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline misty

« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2015, 12:58:12 AM »
And did they call them ? There is certainly no mention of a phone call in Madeleine.

I'm not sure I understand the criticism of the parents here. A 3 year old had been missing all night & there was not a single officer left on the scene to liaise with?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »

It will still cold and dark actually according to Fiona when they left the apartment. First light is less suspicious to the police otherwise they may be thinking why did they go for  a search alone in the dark when it was light in another hour.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Benice

« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:23 AM »
It will still cold and dark actually according to Fiona when they left the apartment. First light is less suspicious to the police otherwise they may be thinking why did they go for  a search alone in the dark when it was light in another hour.

I don't agree that the police would find anything suspicious in the parents of any missing child going out looking for their daughter at any time during the hours immediately after her disappearance.   Whether it was dark or light would have no relevance imo. 

Offline Benice

« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »
When did the FLOs arrive?

I believe it was on the 5th May. 

Relevant quote from Kate's book  (page 102) in the chapter beginning (Saturday 5th May).

.....we were reassured to see some UK police that day in the shape of three family liaison officers (FLOs) ................................  They came to introduce themselves and to outline their dual role: supporting us and our family and acting as a conduit for the flow of information between us and the PJ.
End quote

Offline Benice

« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »

They had no reason to call them on the morning of the 4th - as they knew they would seeing them in person at 9.00a.m.

Re  telephoning  the PJ - Guilhermino Encarnacao had given them a telephone no. inviting them to ring at any time and to ask to be put through to him.   When they attempted to speak to him they were told it wasn't possible to do that and all they were told was that everything that could be done was being done.   And that is all they were told during the next 24 hours.   I presume they stopped phoning once the FLO's arrived the next day.

Kate's book - page 96 refers.