Author Topic: So what actual searching was there?  (Read 411108 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: So what actual searching was there?
« Reply #540 on: November 16, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
Looking for a body ?

As one does when a missing child is not found after an immediate search of the area. 

The search for Madeleine goes on

Wednesday, 9 May 2007

On the footpath, four Portuguese firefighters in red cotton overalls are prodding the undergrowth with sticks, searching for any trace of missing British toddler Madeleine McCann.

The firefighters are giving up their day off to join in the search.

"It's a strange feeling," admits their team leader. "We are fathers also."

A wiry, sunburned man in his mid-forties, he brushes away any mention of the gratitude the McCanns have expressed to all those who are helping with the search.

"The best reward would be to find little Madeleine."

The firefighters are waiting for a boat so they can search the reservoir, about 15 miles from Praia da Luz where the McCann family were staying.

This is the worst-case scenario.

It would take two or three days for a body thrown into the water to decompose and form the gases which would cause it to rise to the surface. Hence the reservoir is only being searched now.

An hour and a half later, the boat finally appears. The crew are not wearing their lifejackets and tie them on hastily when they see the television camera.

This is the nature of this investigation - spontaneity, hard graft, and, at the centre, a tragedy.

By the time we leave, there is nothing to indicate that Madeleine was ever near the reservoir - it is just one more possibility crossed off the list.

British tourists search disused well for Madeleine McCann
        British holidaymakers have joined in the desperate search
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6638793.stm
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #541 on: November 16, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »
As one does when a missing child is not found after an immediate search of the area. 

The search for Madeleine goes on

Wednesday, 9 May 2007

On the footpath, four Portuguese firefighters in red cotton overalls are prodding the undergrowth with sticks, searching for any trace of missing British toddler Madeleine McCann.

The firefighters are giving up their day off to join in the search.

"It's a strange feeling," admits their team leader. "We are fathers also."

A wiry, sunburned man in his mid-forties, he brushes away any mention of the gratitude the McCanns have expressed to all those who are helping with the search.

"The best reward would be to find little Madeleine."

The firefighters are waiting for a boat so they can search the reservoir, about 15 miles from Praia da Luz where the McCann family were staying.

This is the worst-case scenario.

It would take two or three days for a body thrown into the water to decompose and form the gases which would cause it to rise to the surface. Hence the reservoir is only being searched now.

An hour and a half later, the boat finally appears. The crew are not wearing their lifejackets and tie them on hastily when they see the television camera.

This is the nature of this investigation - spontaneity, hard graft, and, at the centre, a tragedy.

By the time we leave, there is nothing to indicate that Madeleine was ever near the reservoir - it is just one more possibility crossed off the list.

British tourists search disused well for Madeleine McCann
        British holidaymakers have joined in the desperate search
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6638793.stm

People searching, but not the mccanns.

Offline xtina

« Reply #542 on: November 16, 2015, 05:18:39 PM »
The first interview with Jane Hill from the BBC - 25 May 2007

This interview is interesting as it is the first interview given by the McCanns after the disappearance of Madeleine. They had previously only given short, scripted statements.

Perhaps the most revealing question in the interview is this one:

Jane Hill: "I met people who didn't go to work for more than a week because everyday they were down on the beach, searching the streets. Did you, as a mother Kate, just sometimes think 'I've got to go and be out there with them. I want to go and just physically look as well."

Kate: (Pause) I mean, I did. Errm... (Long Pause) Errm, we'd been working really hard really. Apart... I mean, the first 48 hours, as Gerry said, are incredibly difficult and we were almost non-functioning, I'd say, errm, but after that you get strength from somewhere. We've certainly had loads of support and that's given us strength and its been able to make us focus really so we have actually, in our own way, it might not be physically searching but we've been working really hard and doing absolutely everything we can, really, to get Madeleine back."

What is significant in Kate's answer here?

Four things: Kate's displacement from the event, her inability to express what 'she' actually felt, an apparent, almost desperate, desire to promote a 'united' front and a reluctance to commit an answer to the question.

It is significant that she says "the first 48 hours, as Gerry said, are incredibly difficult". Her use of the word 'are' instead of 'were' is very revealing. It's as though she's quoting something that she has been advised by a counsellor. 'The first 48 hours are the most difficult'. What she has done here is displaced herself from the scene and is reporting on it, not from it.

It is also revealing how she uses the word 'you' and, again, shows her displacement. She says: "after that you get strength from somewhere". Why is she using 'you' in this sentence? The interviewer has asked her for her personal feelings. Why doesn't she say 'I got strength...' or 'we got strength...' Again, she is placing herself outside the event, looking in.

She uses the word 'we' six times in this brief quote because it would appear she's struggling to answer it, without revealing that she has never actually searched for her missing daughter. Use of the word 'we' and also 'us', which is mentioned twice along with Gerry's name, suggests she's trying to hide under a 'united' front. This suggests she feels vulnerable and needs the support and leadership from Gerry to continue. The overall impression given is that they are not individuals, with their own feelings, but a team who will not be diverted from the path they have chosen.

She also mentions the word 'really' three times, which could be interpreted as a conscious, or subconscious, desire to convince the interviewer, and those watching, that she 'really' is telling the truth.

It would appear from this passage that she's telling us, in a displaced way, how she thinks 'they' should feel, not how 'she' herself really did feel. Why? Is it because she is nervous in her first interview or could it be because she doesn't know how someone who has had their daughter abducted really feels?

Ultimately, Kate's answer, despite being wrapped in curious passages where she feels compelled to mention the support they've received, is quite shocking.

The fact is, despite locals giving up work for a week to search the beach and streets for Madeleine, she has admitted that she never actually did any physical searching for her missing daughter.
Always listen to both sides of the story before you judge.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #543 on: November 16, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »

This interview is interesting as it is the first interview given by the McCanns after the disappearance of Madeleine. They had previously only given short, scripted statements.

Jane Hill: "I met people who didn't go to work for more than a week because everyday they were down on the beach, searching the streets. Did you, as a mother Kate, just sometimes think 'I've got to go and be out there with them. I want to go and just physically look as well."

Kate: (Pause) I mean, I did. Errm... (Long Pause) Errm, we'd been working really hard really. Apart... I mean, the first 48 hours, as Gerry said, are incredibly difficult and we were almost non-functioning, I'd say, errm, but after that you get strength from somewhere. We've certainly had loads of support and that's given us strength and its been able to make us focus really so we have actually, in our own way, it might not be physically searching but we've been working really hard and doing absolutely everything we can, really, to get Madeleine back."

Four things: Kate's displacement from the event, her inability to express what 'she' actually felt, an apparent, almost desperate, desire to promote a 'united' front and a reluctance to commit an answer to the question.

It is significant that she says "the first 48 hours, as Gerry said, are incredibly difficult". Her use of the word 'are' instead of 'were' is very revealing. It's as though she's quoting something that she has been advised by a counsellor. 'The first 48 hours are the most difficult'. What she has done here is displaced herself from the scene and is reporting on it, not from it.

It is also revealing how she uses the word 'you' and, again, shows her displacement. She says: "after that you get strength from somewhere". Why is she using 'you' in this sentence? The interviewer has asked her for her personal feelings. Why doesn't she say 'I got strength...' or 'we got strength...' Again, she is placing herself outside the event, looking in.

She uses the word 'we' six times in this brief quote because it would appear she's struggling to answer it, without revealing that she has never actually searched for her missing daughter. Use of the word 'we' and also 'us', which is mentioned twice along with Gerry's name, suggests she's trying to hide under a 'united' front. This suggests she feels vulnerable and needs the support and leadership from Gerry to continue. The overall impression given is that they are not individuals, with their own feelings, but a team who will not be diverted from the path they have chosen.

She also mentions the word 'really' three times, which could be interpreted as a conscious, or subconscious, desire to convince the interviewer, and those watching, that she 'really' is telling the truth.

It would appear from this passage that she's telling us, in a displaced way, how she thinks 'they' should feel, not how 'she' herself really did feel. Why? Is it because she is nervous in her first interview or could it be because she doesn't know how someone who has had their daughter abducted really feels?

Ultimately, Kate's answer, despite being wrapped in curious passages where she feels compelled to mention the support they've received, is quite shocking.

The fact is, despite locals giving up work for a week to search the beach and streets for Madeleine, she has admitted that she never actually did any physical searching for her missing daughter.

Kate did search so what you are saying isn't true

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #544 on: November 16, 2015, 05:29:35 PM »

I don't think any reasonable person would have expected Kate to search when what they were effectively looking for was Maddie's body

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #545 on: November 16, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »

I don't think any reasonable person would have expected Kate to search when what they were effectively looking for was Maddie's body

Offline xtina

« Reply #546 on: November 16, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
Kate did search so what you are saying isn't true

its not me saying ...she never searched iiiiit was k mcc

better things to do it seeems....[like organising the fund etc etc] ....than searching for maddie ,,,,now it was me that said that ....
Always listen to both sides of the story before you judge.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #547 on: November 16, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »

It is positively discouraged for very pragmatic reasons.  If a parent were to stumble over their deceased child ... the immediate reaction would be to rush to the body probably destroying evidence in the process but certainly disturbing the crime scene.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #548 on: November 16, 2015, 05:40:42 PM »

better things to do it seeems....[like organising the fund etc etc] ....than searching for maddie ,,,,now it was me that said that ....

Kate has never said she never searched...she describes searching in her book...so what you are saying isn't true

Offline Brietta

« Reply #549 on: November 16, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »

Then the GNR soldier who saw them both out searching is mistaken?

ferryman

« Reply #550 on: November 16, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »

Not for nothing is the generic advice in the UK when a loved-one (child or otherwise) goes missing under circumstances where a tragic outcome is possible, for loved-ones of the missing person NOT to search ...

stephen25000

« Reply #551 on: November 16, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »
                   Then the GNR soldier who saw them both out searching is mistaken?

We know, a brief 'search' the following morning, and THAT WAS THAT.

and they weren't searching for a body, 'just a living findable child'.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #552 on: November 16, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Nothing wrong with that
They would be looking for a body at this time

Surely they maintain to this day that Madeleine is a "findable child" ?.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #553 on: November 16, 2015, 05:48:47 PM »
Surely they maintain to this day that Madeleine is a "findable child" ?.

surely they don't

ferryman

« Reply #554 on: November 16, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »

Bang-on right ....