Author Topic: The 'arguido' interviews and the impact of lawyers advice.  (Read 32259 times)

Offline Admin

The 'arguido' interviews and the impact of lawyers advice.
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
Much has been written and said about the 'arguido' interviews in which both Kate and Gerry McCann were interviewed as official suspects.

On the advice of their lawyer, Pinto de Abreu, Kate McCann declined to answer most of the police questions.  Gerry McCann declined the advice and answered the questions.

Earlier, their lawyer also made it clear to them both that if they confessed to having been involved in concealing Madeleine's body following an accidental death and of inventing an abduction they would be given a lesser sentence.

According to Kate McCann, his suggestion was not an option.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:25:49 PM by Admin »

Offline Lace

Re: The 'arguido' interviews and the impact of lawyers advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »
The point is that if there were genuine and real suspects they would have been arrested before now, before they had chance to flee after being alerted by the Yard's statement.

I hear posters saying the McCann's fled from Portugual.     So if they had been genuine and real suspects they would have been arrested before they did wouldn't they?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:35:33 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:12 PM »
I hear posters saying the McCann's fled from Portugual.     So if they had been genuine and real suspects they would have been arrested before they did wouldn't they?

They weren't arrested as there was an insufficiency of evidence against them relating to any crime.  End off!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:56:48 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

AnneGuedes

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
Mr McCann's plan to cross the border with his family betrayed a curious perspective of reality. What interest would the McCann presence in Portugal have for the investigation if one refused to answer questions and the other suggested evidence had been planted ?

Offline sadie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
Mr McCann's plan to cross the border with his family betrayed a curious perspective of reality. What interest would the McCann presence in Portugal have for the investigation if one refused to answer questions and the other suggested evidence had been planted ?
Both were within their rights Anne

Kate was advised not to answer questions by her lawyer (and probably the British Consul after the Michael Cook and Leonor Cipriano cases).  This was permissible

Gerry was lied to Police officers, telling him how they had found evidence in their car, of Madeleines dead body having been transported in it.  Gerry knew that was untrue ... and that would have been their catalyst to leave.

Thank God they did.

They realised they were being stitched up for crime they did not commit.

Offline Lace

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Mrs. Healy/McCann just felt it was a nuisance. Quite annoyed in fact...

Were you there?   Or is this all hearsay?

Kate gives an entirely different account of what happened.   

stephen25000

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:14 AM »
Both were within their rights Anne

Kate was advised not to answer questions by her lawyer (and probably the British Consul after the Michael Cook and Leonor Cipriano cases).  This was permissible

Gerry was lied to Police officers, telling him how they had found evidence in their car, of Madeleines dead body having been transported in it.  Gerry knew that was untrue and that would have been their catalyst to leave.

Thank God they did.

They were being stitched up for crime they did not commit.

km was 'advised' not to answer questions, simply on the grounds she might contradict her husbands account.

Otherwise, why not simply tell the truth ?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:01:20 AM by stephen25000 »

Offline Lace

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
km was 'advised' not to answer questions, simply on the grounds she might contradict her husbands account.

Otherwise, why not simply tell the truth ?

Rubbish.

stephen25000

Offline Lace

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:58 AM »
Nope.

They were both advised by their lawyer not to answer the questions Stephen.

stephen25000

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »
They were both advised by their lawyer not to answer the questions Stephen.

Did he answer the questions ?

What did they have to fear by answering the questions and telling the truth ?

Offline Lace

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
Gerry did answer the questions,  Kate as you well know decided not to.

Well I would think lawyers would know when to advise their clients not to answer questions Stephen.   The lawyer obviously thought it was best that they didn't.

stephen25000

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:41 AM »
Gerry did answer the questions,  Kate as you well know decided not to.

Well I would think lawyers would know when to advise their clients not to answer questions Stephen.   The lawyer obviously thought it was best that they didn't.

I know he answered the questions.

If they were so keen to help the investigation, they would have both have answered the questions fully.

They had no reason not to, and I don't believe they were being 'stitched up'.

ferryman

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »

If they were so keen to help the investigation, they would have both have answered the questions fully.

How was Kate being asked whether they were considering having Madeleine adopted supposed to help solve the mystery of what happened to her?

Offline Lace

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »

Your entitled to your opinion Stephen.