Author Topic: Gaining access and examining a computer hard drive  (Read 8451 times)

Offline Daisy

Gaining access and examining a computer hard drive
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
This is in answer to the following questions:
Examining a computer hard drive is extremely easy for the right person and can be very revealing.  It does not have to be expensive.  It is only when data is encrypted that special software has to be used involving extra cost.  There is no reason why Samuel's computer hard drive should have been encrypted.

Mark's legal team should have access to Samuel's computers and mobile phones so it is for them to extract the date contained within them in order to create a history and timeline of usage.

Unlike our American counterparts, there is a presumption against automatic disclosure of police exhibits and prosecution files to those seeking to challenge a wrongful conviction here in the UK.  We do not yet have the legislative backing to access files relating to our cases as a matter of right.  This undermines transparency in a justice system that should be bending over backwards to correct miscarriages of justice and doing everything in its power to assist potential casualties.  If the police are confident about the decisions they have made, then they should not be afraid to subject them to scrutiny where they are called into question.  The problem was of course, most recently highlighted in the case of Kevin Nunn.  The current situation gives the impression at least that the authorities either have something to hide, or are actively seeking to hinder the efforts of miscarriage of justice victims and their families – a suspicion most vividly aroused in the ongoing Hillsborough and Orgreave campaigns.  Parliament needs to address this issue as a matter of urgency and devise a fairer and more open procedure – not dissimilar to those enjoyed by prisoners in many other jurisdictions.

All the computers and laptops in my own case were seized by the police and remain in their possession.  We only had sight of data extracted from targeted keyword searches during my trial.  We are currently trying to get hold of copies of the hard drive images to analyse in more depth, but the police have so far refused to disclose these, or indeed any of the other exhibits we have requested.

Offline John

Re: Gaining access and examining a computer hard drive
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:01:41 AM »
Items taken by police are normally returned unless they are stolen or have been designated as evidence.  I assume the latter applies in this case.  The defence however can have access to the computers in order to have an expert carry out an analysis of the hard drive.  Such an application is made to a judge.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:01:35 AM »
Items taken by police are normally returned unless they are stolen or have been designated as evidence.  I assume the latter applies in this case.  The defence however can have access to the computers in order to have an expert carry out an analysis of the hard drive.  Such an application is made to a judge.

Yes indeed an application is made to a judge at great expense. This is what Kevin Nunn did. DNA evidence was found on Dawn Walker which could not have been Kevin's. The judge agreed with the police that the defence should not be allowed to test it - keeping a potentially innocent man in prison.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »
Yes indeed an application is made to a judge at great expense. This is what Kevin Nunn did. DNA evidence was found on Dawn Walker which could not have been Kevin's. The judge agreed with the police that the defence should not be allowed to test it - keeping a potentially innocent man in prison.

If this is believed to be the case, then Mark's lawyers know the route to take. His defence team must be  given access to any information used to keep Mark incarcerated, so that this a can be challenged.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Daisy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »
If this is believed to be the case, then Mark's lawyers know the route to take. His defence team must be  given access to any information used to keep Mark incarcerated, so that this a can be challenged.

Yes of course they know the route to take - an application to the Supreme Court.  However, as already mentioned in the case of Kevin Nunn, the judge refused to release the information.  The police in this case may refuse to allow access to Sami's computer and if that happens it will be terrible.  Kevin Nunn is in prison knowing that another man's DNA is on the body of the woman he is supposed to have murdered and in this case, Mark will not be able to find out who Sami was in contact with or what he got up to on his computer.  In both cases this shows how corrupt our criminal justice system is.

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »
Yes of course they know the route to take - an application to the Supreme Court.  However, as already mentioned in the case of Kevin Nunn, the judge refused to release the information.  The police in this case may refuse to allow access to Sami's computer and if that happens it will be terrible.  Kevin Nunn is in prison knowing that another man's DNA is on the body of the woman he is supposed to have murdered and in this case, Mark will not be able to find out who Sami was in contact with or what he got up to on his computer.  In both cases this shows how corrupt our criminal justice system is.

Yes, our criminal justice system can be very corrupt when it suits.  I recall one of my QC's once telling me that the justice system is not about being fair.  WTF!!   %#&%4%
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 01:08:33 PM »
Yes, our criminal justice system can be very corrupt when it suits.  I recall one of my QC's once telling me that the justice system is not about being fair.  WTF!!   %#&%4%

John you know full well justice is not about what is right or wrong , or who is innocent or Guilty, it is about legal argument, those who have the best argument wins! and usually includes those who have money can buy the best!  hmm

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »
John you know full well justice is not about what is right or wrong , or who is innocent or Guilty, it is about legal argument, those who have the best argument wins! and usually includes those who have money can buy the best!  hmm

Absolutely MTI and the CPS have endless resources.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »
Absolutely MTI and the CPS have endless resources.

Money is the route to justice but out of reach to most of us. That is why there are so many MOJs. We just cannot afford to fight the establishment.

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:31 PM »
Money is the route to justice but out of reach to most of us. That is why there are so many MOJs. We just cannot afford to fight the establishment.

I know of people who are guilty can get off with things other people can't. They would get a suspended sentence or community service, or walk right out the door .

Offline Daisy

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
What is your opinion on Marks case Stephanie?  I would welcome your comments as you are usually insightful.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:33:10 AM by John »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
What is your opinion on Marks case Stephanie?  I would welcome your comments as you are usually insightful.

I've no idea about Mark's case Daisy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:34:33 AM by John »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »

I totally agree Daisy.  Like many things, justice can often be bought which is completely against our so-called human rights laws.  The CPS have a virtually unlimited budget whereas those charged with a crime are often denied proper legal representation.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »

BOTH these men are guilty Daisy. It's time to face facts.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:40:56 PM by John »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »
BOTH these men are guilty Daisy. It's time to face facts.

“.........Nunn has created an environment where getting access to case materials is a ‘lottery’. ‘Not only is permission required of the investigating force,’ they write, ‘who may not be motivated to facilitate the re-opening of a case they consider closed […] but decisions are made on a piecemeal basis, sometimes even exhibit by exhibit.’
https://www.thejusticegap.com/nearly-impossible-for-the-victims-of-wrongful-conviction-to-access-police-materialist-conviction/