Author Topic: DNA markers in paternity tests versus evidence in criminal cases.  (Read 4477 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: DNA markers in paternity tests versus evidence in criminal cases.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 05:11:03 PM »
If I thought that pointing out errors to a PT TV matinée show could have pointed out errors in any way, I might have done so. Long ago.
Don't be surprised then if human kind doesn't evolve and if progress (apart from the technological one) appears to-day like a post-modern myth. You didn't think etc.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
What is your understanding?
What do you mean, Carana ?
You asked whether I seriously believed that 15 alleles in a mixed soup of 37 could prove paternity.
As I've no idea of having said such a thing and rarely use the word "believe", I wondered.
I only remember to have said that Portuguese examine 15 markers in order to establish paternity.
At least a friend of mine, who had one test made 2 years back, told me so (by the way this friend is a doctor. The doctor who took the sample told him "do you want me to take your blood or mine" ? ).

Offline Carana

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »
Was the subject about alleles or markers?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 05:33:45 PM »
Anne, on another pending topic... have you found a source for 13 markers in the US and France as being sufficient for legal purposes on paternity?
Wasn't that the subject ?

Offline Carana

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
Anne, on another pending topic... have you found a source for 13 markers in the US and France as being sufficient for legal purposes on paternity?
Wasn't that the subject ?
Have you found a reliable - accredited - source for legal requirements in different countries?

We're still only discussing paternity issues on this thread....

Offline Carana

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »
I'm sorry I couldn't find the page where I saw 13, I didn't invent it. On the link I sent they say it was 11 up to 2002 and is 16 now, when the tests must have legal value.
I've no personal experience of that, I never doubted who fathered my kids.
This US site also says 16.
http://www.paternity.us/

Maybe you were thinking of CODIS which is still based on 13 loci (the FBI is going to be adding more, but it's not clear how many more, nor when this is likely to happen).

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/planned-process-and-timeline-for-implementation-of-additional-codis-core-loci

For paternity testing, 16 loci seem to be recommended as an initial test in the US, with more if needed.
http://www.ptclabs.com/chooselab

AnneGuedes

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
?
CODIS is a data base that has nothing to do with paternity testing.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
Paternity testing really has nothing to do with forensic DNA testing, so I really do not know what possible relevance it can have to the matter in hand. 

Offline Carana

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
?
CODIS is a data base that has nothing to do with paternity testing.

I'm aware of that, but I'd wondered if that was where you got 13 loci from. Some paternity testing companies use less than 16.

It's irrelevant anyway, except that some people are still confused by the remark on TV.

Offline Carana

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
Paternity testing really has nothing to do with forensic DNA testing, so I really do not know what possible relevance it can have to the matter in hand.

Reading up, I don't either. Why someone chose to connect the issues on PT TV remains a mystery.