Author Topic: Why was Gonçalo Amaral taken off the Madeleine McCann case?  (Read 33740 times)

Offline John

Why was Gonçalo Amaral taken off the Madeleine McCann case?
« on: February 06, 2016, 02:56:49 PM »
Why was Gonçalo Amaral taken off the Madeleine McCann case?

This is a question which has intrigued for some time.  Listed below are some of the answers including that by Gonçalo Amaral himself.

What do you think, was the signing of The Treaty of Lisbon dependent on Amaral's dismissal?

Gonçalo Amaral - The Truth of the Lie

BAD RESPONSE TO A JOURNALIST

In the evening, while driving, I receive an unidentified phone call, the last straw...A journalist asks me if I want to comment on the subject of the email. Whether due to the difficult day, the raging storm or the fact of driving through rain...I lose my cool. I reply, irritably, without thinking, that the message is of no interest and that it would be better for the English police to occupy themselves with the Portuguese investigation. Even as I am hanging up, I realise that I have not only made a blunder, but I have been unfair towards the majority of the British police who have helped us throughout these difficult months. I drive on, certain that I have triggered a diplomatic incident with predictable consequences: as soon as these simple words are made public, I risk not being able to continue to direct the Portimão Department of Criminal Investigation.

It is shortly after 2pm, in the middle of lunch, that I receive the news. The National Director has sent a fax to the Portimão DIC: in it, he stipulates the end of my assignment and requests my return to Faro.

According to a British correspondent, the Prime Minister personally called Stuart Prior to ask for confirmation of my dismissal. Why would the head of the British government be interested in a lowly Portuguese official? We refuse to believe the rumours going around, according to which the signing of the Treaty of Lisbon was dependent on my dismissal.

http://goncaloamaraltruthofthelie.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/chapter-21-dismissal-of-head-of.html

Metro -  3rd October 2007

Chief Inspector Goncalo Amaral was taken off the case following his comments that Kate and Gerry McCann had been calling the shots by identifying lines of inquiry for Leicestershire officers.
The family’s spokesman Clarence Mitchell told GMTV the claims were “ludicrous”. He added: “What they want now is whoever takes over to refocus the inquiry on to finding Madeleine.”
Mr Mitchell said the decision to remove Mr Amaral was “a decision for the Portuguese authorities.”

http://metro.co.uk/2007/10/03/mccanns-focus-on-finding-madeleine-213385/#ixzz3zOR410te

theGuardian - 3rd October 2007

The Portuguese detective heading the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann was yesterday removed from the case and demoted from his post as chief of the police in the Algarve town of Portimão, following an outspoken attack on his British counterparts.
Inspector Gonçalo Amaral has been transferred to the nearby Algarve city of Faro after criticising the British police in a leading Portuguese newspaper.

Yesterday, in an interview with the respected Diário de Notícias, Mr Amaral accused British detectives of only investigating those leads that Madeleine's parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, wanted following up. "[The British police] have only investigated tips and information developed and worked on for the McCanns, forgetting that the couple are suspects in the death of their daughter Madeleine."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/oct/03/ukcrime.uknews4

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 06:43:06 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

Re: Why was Gonçalo Amaral taken off the Madeleine McCann case?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 03:38:36 PM »
Has anyone ever come up with a *rational* explanation as to why the signing the Treaty of Lisbon could possibly be dependent on taking Amaral off the case of a missing child?

Offline Carana

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »

The constant leaks were possibly becoming an embarrassment, but he was caught red-handed in this instance in a rant that was undermining foreign police cooperation.

If you examine the police regulations, there are several that he could be considered to have infringed.

Here's just one of them:

g) Violação do segredo profissional e omissão do sigilo devido relativamente aos assuntos conhecidos em razão do cargo ou da função, sempre que dai resulte prejuízo para o desenvolvimento do trabalho policial ou para qualquer pessoa;

Googlish:
g) Violation of professional secrecy and omission of secrecy due respect to matters considered because of their rank or function whenever hence resulting in losses to the development of police work or for anyone;

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
I would need to see the Diário de Notícias article, the date the Lisbon Treaty was signed and the date of his removal to be on solid ground.

If this bit happened as it says, he was a goner.

"Yesterday, in an interview with the respected Diário de Notícias, Mr Amaral accused British detectives of only investigating those leads that Madeleine's parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, wanted following up. "[The British police] have only investigated tips and information developed and worked on for the McCanns, forgetting that the couple are suspects in the death of their daughter Madeleine."
What's up, old man?

Offline Carana

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
I would need to see the Diário de Notícias article, the date the Lisbon Treaty was signed and the date of his removal to be on solid ground.

If this bit happened as it says, he was a goner.

"Yesterday, in an interview with the respected Diário de Notícias, Mr Amaral accused British detectives of only investigating those leads that Madeleine's parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, wanted following up. "[The British police] have only investigated tips and information developed and worked on for the McCanns, forgetting that the couple are suspects in the death of their daughter Madeleine."

Treaty of Lisbon was signed on 13 December 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lisbon

Amaral got booted on his birthday: 2 October 2007

For "obvious reasons", according to Alípio Ribeiro:

"Fiz cessar a comissão de serviço de Gonçalo Amaral em Portimão. As razões pelas quais dei esse despacho parecem-me óbvias", disse aos jornalistas Alípio Ribeiro, numa aparente referência às polémicas declarações de Gonçalo Amaral citadas na edição de terça-feira do Diário de Notícias.
http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/goncalo-amaral-afastado-por-razoes-obvias_n50579

PJ accuses English police of favouring the McCann couple

by Paula Martinheira and José Manuel Oliveira - 02Oct2007

"The British police has only been working on the issues that the McCann couple wants, and which are convenient to them." It was with an explosive and rebellious tone that the coordinator of the investigation into the Madeleine case, Gonçalo Amaral, commented in brief statements to DN the news that was published yesterday in several English newspapers. This news was about an anonymous email that was sent to Prince Charles' official site, which accuses an ex-employee of the Ocean Club of kidnapping the four-year-old girl, as an act of revenge against the resort's administration, after having been dismissed.

"That situation is completely set aside, and it has no credibility whatsoever to Portuguese police", the leader of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Portimao told DN, considering that his English colleagues "have been investigating leads and information that were created and worked by the McCanns, forgetting that the couple is suspected of the death of their daughter Madeleine".

"That story of a kidnapping for revenge is another fact that was worked by the McCanns", Gonçalo Amaral accused, stressing that the Ocean Club "is located in Praia da Luz and not in London, which means that everything that concerns the resort and its employees (present or former) was already or is being investigated by Policia Judiciaria".

"It's not an email, even less an anonymous one which is easy to track, that is going to distract our investigation line", he said.

Gonçalo Amaral, before entering the CID in Portimao, was at the PJ's Directory in Faro, having been mainly responsible for fighting drug traffic.

The opinion of the coordinator of CID in Portimao coincides with statements that were made to DN by the president of the Union of Criminal Investigation Employees (ASFIC), Carlos Anjos, who accuses Gerry and Kate McCann of "trying to distract and confuse the investigation by announcing a new fact on a daily basis". For him, as DN could report, "the McCanns have launched a campaign to discredit the Portuguese police when it presented the theory of the girl's death, substituting that of an abduction, which was very convenient to them". "As long as the theory of the disappearance because of a suspected abduction subsisted, the PJ was very pleasant company for the couple. When things changed and the death theory emerged, there was a radical change in the stance of the McCanns, who by the way never helped or facilitated, since the beginning, the investigation".

In late August, early September, a few days before Gerry and Kate were constituted arguidos, for suspicions of the negligent death of their daughter Madeleine, a top member of staff of Judiciaria commented the following: "After buying ourselves a war with the British media, we are now buying one with the English police."

Over the last few weeks, the Policia Judiciaria has been silent, which was helped by the fact that the spokesman of this force for that case, Olegario Sousa, has left that function, which he occupied since the child's disappearance.

source: Diário de Notícias, 02.10.2007
http://themaddiecasefiles.com/topic166.html

Offline Carana

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »
The Justice Minister even made a statement.

Algarve Resident

Justice minister says police relationship is still strong

Updated: 02-Oct-2007

UPDATED 16.15 HOURS ON 02.10.07

By CECILIA PIRES

PORTUGAL’S JUSTICE Minister has stepped in to assure all parties that the relationship between the Portuguese and British police forces working on the Madeleine McCann case is still strong and of “beneficial co-operation”.

Alberto Costa was responding today (Tuesday) to comments made by Gonçalo Amaral, the leading investigator in the Madeleine case, and published in today’s Portuguese daily Diário de Notícias (DN), in which he criticized British police action.

Alberto Costa said: “It is important that all teams are focused on the investigation work and not on the comments.” He refused to make any further comments on the PJ coordinator’s statements.

Gonçalo Amaral had accused British police of “only investigating information previously prepared by Gerry and Kate McCann”.

In the interview in DN, he is quoted as saying that “the British police have been working exclusively on the information wanted by the McCanns and that suits them better.”

The police investigator was commenting on reports in British media on Monday about an anonymous email sent to the official website of Prince Charles.

The email accused a former employee of the Ocean Club of being responsible for the abduction of Madeleine McCann in a revenge action to destroy the resort’s credibility.

The PJ investigator said this information “had no credibility for the Portuguese police” and therefore “it was completely excluded” from the investigation.

“An email, specially an anonymous one, is not going to distract us from the line of the investigation,” he said.

Gonçalo Amaral also claimed that by following the couple’s tips, the British investigators were continuously “forgetting the fact that they are prime suspects of their daughter’s death”.

He said that the kidnapping scenario now being explored was nothing more than “another fact worked by the McCanns”.

He added that as the Ocean Club is located in Praia da Luz and not in London, “all information related with the resort and its staff has been or is being investigated by the Polícia Judiciária”

http://themaddiecasefiles.com/topic10366.html

Offline Carana

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 05:57:04 PM »

Gonçalo Amaral also claimed that by following the couple’s tips, the British investigators were continuously “forgetting the fact that they are prime suspects of their daughter’s death”.

Quite aside from breaking the selectively sacrosanct judicial secrecy, he's accusing LP of corruption as well.

It doesn't get much more cringeworthy than that, IMO.

LP had already seen the forensic results and would have known that that was a blind alley. Amaral's team clearly didn't understand, or had decided to ignore them.

LP had no reason to stop passing on info as it came in.

Offline blonk

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
This cable (below) from the US Embassy in Portugal to the U.S., found and leaked by Wikileaks, shows that there were ongoing discussions between the Portuguese and U.K. governments about the Madeleine McCann case (see especially bits in red):

Friday, 28 September 2007, 15:36
C O N F I D E N T I A L SECTION 01 OF 02 LISBON 002527
SIPDIS
STATE FOR XXXXXXXXXXXX
EO 12958 DECL: 09/25/2017
TAGS PGOV, PREL, OFDP, PO
SUBJECT: PORTUGAL: UK AMBASSADOR ON ENERGY SECURITY,
RUSSIA, EU-AFRICA SUMMIT, AND MCCANN CASE
Classified By: XXXXXXXXXXXX FOR REASONS 1.4 (B),(D)

SUMMARY

-------

1. (C) On September 21, newly-arrived British Ambassador Alexander Wykeham Ellis informed Ambassador Hoffman that European concerns over Russia's aggressive energy policies and the need for market competition were the driving forces behind the third EU energy liberalization package. He suggested that Russia's position with its neighbors was guided by a self-proclaimed right to do "what it wants, when it wants" in its own neighborhood. Regarding Robert Mugabe's participation in the proposed EU-Africa Summit, Ellis said the UK would not discourage other member states from participating if PM Brown stayed away. He doubted, however, if the Dutch, Irish, or Swedish would attend in Brown's absence. Ellis also noted that it was the British police that developed the current evidence against Madeleine McCann's parents in the high-profile case that has captured international attention. He informed the Ambassador that former British Ambassador John Buck had accepted a private-sector position at a UK gas company and that his departure had nothing to do with bilateral issues. END SUMMARY

(...)

THE MADELEINE MCCANN CASE

-------------------------

5. (C) Madeleine McCann's disappearance in the south of Portugal in May 2007 has generated international media attention with controversy surrounding the Portuguese-led police investigation and the actions of Madeleine's parents. Without delving into the details of the case, Ellis admitted that the British police had developed the current evidence against the McCann parents, and he stressed that authorities from both countries were working cooperatively. He commented that the media frenzy was to be expected and was acceptable as long as government officials keep their comments behind closed doors.

It is clear that by late September 2007 Goncalo Amaral had had what he felt were strong indications that British police officers, i.e. those from Leicestershire Police, were basically trying to defend the McCanns. One evening he poured out his frustrations to a journalist, but clearly didn't make sure that his comments were 'off the record'. When his comments were published, the Portuguese evidently decided there was no better time to move against Amaral.

The Lisbon summit was 17 & 18 October 2007 and it paved the way for the grand signing ceremony which I think someone up the thread said was on 13 December. It is on the record that the Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates, now on trial for major corruption, and Gordon Brown specifically discussed Madeleine McCann when they met during the conference.

Already in late 2007 and early 2008 there was a corruption enquiry going on by the Portuguese authorities and the E.U. justice arm, EUROJUST, into a bribery scandal in connection with the major Freeport development on the Algarve, which broke all manner of E.U. environmental regulations. Specific information was received by the EUROJUST investigation that bribes were paid via British banks to Socrates and the then Agriculture Minister.

No doubt both governments had plenty of dark issues they wanted to keep well and truly under the carpet.

Or 'behind closed doors', as the U.S. Ambassador put it in his communique about Madeleine McCann.                   

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 06:27:55 PM »
Treaty of Lisbon was signed on 13 December 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lisbon

Amaral got booted on his birthday: 2 October 2007

For "obvious reasons", according to Alípio Ribeiro:

"Fiz cessar a comissão de serviço de Gonçalo Amaral em Portimão. As razões pelas quais dei esse despacho parecem-me óbvias", disse aos jornalistas Alípio Ribeiro, numa aparente referência às polémicas declarações de Gonçalo Amaral citadas na edição de terça-feira do Diário de Notícias.
http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/goncalo-amaral-afastado-por-razoes-obvias_n50579

PJ accuses English police of favouring the McCann couple

by Paula Martinheira and José Manuel Oliveira - 02Oct2007

"The British police has only been working on the issues that the McCann couple wants, and which are convenient to them." It was with an explosive and rebellious tone that the coordinator of the investigation into the Madeleine case, Gonçalo Amaral, commented in brief statements to DN the news that was published yesterday in several English newspapers. This news was about an anonymous email that was sent to Prince Charles' official site, which accuses an ex-employee of the Ocean Club of kidnapping the four-year-old girl, as an act of revenge against the resort's administration, after having been dismissed.

"That situation is completely set aside, and it has no credibility whatsoever to Portuguese police", the leader of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Portimao told DN, considering that his English colleagues "have been investigating leads and information that were created and worked by the McCanns, forgetting that the couple is suspected of the death of their daughter Madeleine".

"That story of a kidnapping for revenge is another fact that was worked by the McCanns", Gonçalo Amaral accused, stressing that the Ocean Club "is located in Praia da Luz and not in London, which means that everything that concerns the resort and its employees (present or former) was already or is being investigated by Policia Judiciaria".

"It's not an email, even less an anonymous one which is easy to track, that is going to distract our investigation line", he said.

Gonçalo Amaral, before entering the CID in Portimao, was at the PJ's Directory in Faro, having been mainly responsible for fighting drug traffic.

The opinion of the coordinator of CID in Portimao coincides with statements that were made to DN by the president of the Union of Criminal Investigation Employees (ASFIC), Carlos Anjos, who accuses Gerry and Kate McCann of "trying to distract and confuse the investigation by announcing a new fact on a daily basis". For him, as DN could report, "the McCanns have launched a campaign to discredit the Portuguese police when it presented the theory of the girl's death, substituting that of an abduction, which was very convenient to them". "As long as the theory of the disappearance because of a suspected abduction subsisted, the PJ was very pleasant company for the couple. When things changed and the death theory emerged, there was a radical change in the stance of the McCanns, who by the way never helped or facilitated, since the beginning, the investigation".

In late August, early September, a few days before Gerry and Kate were constituted arguidos, for suspicions of the negligent death of their daughter Madeleine, a top member of staff of Judiciaria commented the following: "After buying ourselves a war with the British media, we are now buying one with the English police."

Over the last few weeks, the Policia Judiciaria has been silent, which was helped by the fact that the spokesman of this force for that case, Olegario Sousa, has left that function, which he occupied since the child's disappearance.

source: Diário de Notícias, 02.10.2007
http://themaddiecasefiles.com/topic166.html
I am grateful for that. Thank you.

That sinks, IMO, any connection to the Treaty of Lisbon.  That simply makes it clear, IMO, that when he should have been saying 'no comment' to the press, he appears to have broken judicial secrecy, and in a particularly stupid way.  I think anyone in the UK pursuing a similar tack on a live case would get hauled off it sooner rather than later, and disciplined to boot.  All of course IMO and depending upon the base story being true.

Since his book attempts to explain this error, it seems there was an incident, and he knew he was holed below the waterline.
What's up, old man?

stephen25000

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
This cable (below) from the US Embassy in Portugal to the U.S., found and leaked by Wikileaks, shows that there were ongoing discussions between the Portuguese and U.K. governments about the Madeleine McCann case (see especially bits in red):

SIPDIS
STATE FOR XXXXXXXXXXXX

SUMMARY

-------

1. (C) On September 21, newly-arrived British Ambassador Alexander Wykeham Ellis informed Ambassador Hoffman that European concerns over Russia's aggressive energy policies and the need for market competition were the driving forces behind the third EU energy liberalization package. He suggested that Russia's position with its neighbors was guided by a self-proclaimed right to do "what it wants, when it wants" in its own neighborhood. Regarding Robert Mugabe's participation in the proposed EU-Africa Summit, Ellis said the UK would not discourage other member states from participating if PM Brown stayed away. He doubted, however, if the Dutch, Irish, or Swedish would attend in Brown's absence. Ellis also noted that it was the British police that developed the current evidence against Madeleine McCann's parents in the high-profile case that has captured international attention. He informed the Ambassador that former British Ambassador John Buck had accepted a private-sector position at a UK gas company and that his departure had nothing to do with bilateral issues. END SUMMARY

(...)

5. (C) Madeleine McCann's disappearance in the south of Portugal in May 2007 has generated international media attention with controversy surrounding the Portuguese-led police investigation and the actions of Madeleine's parents. Without delving into the details of the case, Ellis admitted that the British police had developed the current evidence against the McCann parents, and he stressed that authorities from both countries were working cooperatively. He commented that the media frenzy was to be expected and was acceptable as long as government officials keep their comments behind closed doors.

It is clear that by late September 2007 Goncalo Amaral had had what he felt were strong indications that British police officers, i.e. those from Leicestershire Police, were basically trying to defend the McCanns. One evening he poured out his frustrations to a journalist, but clearly didn't make sure that his comments were 'off the record'. When his comments were published, the Portuguese evidently decided there was no better time to move against Amaral.

The Lisbon summit was 17 & 18 October 2007 and it paved the way for the grand signing ceremony which I think someone up the thread said was on 13 December. It is on the record that the Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Socrates, now on trial for major corruption, and Gordon Brown specifically discussed Madeleine McCann when they met during the conference.

Already in late 2007 and early 2008 there was a corruption enquiry going on by the Portuguese authorities and the E.U. justice arm, EUROJUST, into a bribery scandal in connection with the major Freeport development on the Algarve, which broke all manner of E.U. environmental regulations. Specific information was received by the EUROJUST investigation that bribes were paid via British banks to Socrates and the then Agriculture Minister.

No doubt both governments had plenty of dark issues they wanted to keep well and truly under the carpet.

Or 'behind closed doors', as the U.S. Ambassador put it in his communique about Madeleine McCann.                   

Fascinating to say the least.

So why did the UK police change tack ?

Dare I say political intervention ?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 06:29:12 PM »
So, what dark issues that the government wants to keep hidden are two doctors from Rothley involved in, Mr Blonk?  Any ideas?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 06:32:13 PM »

SIPDIS
STATE FOR XXXXXXXXXXXX

SUMMARY

-------

(...)

Please do not allow the irrelevant parts of this Comment to lead you Off Topic.

ferryman

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 06:37:18 PM »
According to a British correspondent, the Prime Minister personally called Stuart Prior to ask for confirmation of my dismissal.

Which British correspondent would that be?

Offline Carana

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »

SIPDIS
STATE FOR XXXXXXXXXXXX

SUMMARY

-------

(...)

I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting...

What "evidence" was "developed"?

- UK dogs alerted (for reasons as yet unknown).
- Samples were sent to the UK for analysis which amounted to a hill of beans.

ferryman

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 06:42:11 PM »
Please do not allow the irrelevant parts of this Comment to lead you Off Topic.

There is a sense in which the parts you underline in red are true.

The case against the McCanns rested on Portuguese misinterpretation of the forensic results (with the honourable exception of PJ Inspector Dias) and we know what gave rise to those forensic results, or, more specifically, how they came about ....