Author Topic: Sceptics beliefs ?  (Read 239574 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Sceptics beliefs ?
« Reply #1110 on: April 16, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »
Look I've been called arrogant too in the past, and I recall not even knowing what that meant. 
"arrogant

adjective
having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
"he's arrogant and opinionated""

Somewhat could be even to the smallest degree.  So it isn't a harsh criticism to call someone "somewhat arrogant" in the correct circumstances, IMO.   

Used in context I find the word to be abusive ...

The majority of members are I think mature enough to know what causes offence ... particularly when it is complained of ... and go out of their way to find another expression to use.

This hasn't happened in this instance.  Which I think means that as mods we have to remove the word from future usage as being ad hominem now it has been flagged up.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1111 on: April 16, 2019, 10:14:56 AM »

Accusing someone of Arrogance in any form is abusive in my book of rules on a discussion forum.  I try not to nit pick, but that obviously results in a lot of pointless bickering.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1112 on: April 16, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »
Will you sanction people for being arrogant as well, or just for accusing others of it  ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1113 on: April 16, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »
Will you sanction people for being arrogant as well, or just for accusing others of it  ?

I try mortally hard not to sanction anyone.  Perhaps I shouldn't try so hard.  In Fact, I won't in future.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1114 on: April 16, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
Accusing someone of Arrogance in any form is abusive in my book of rules on a discussion forum.  I try not to nit pick, but that obviously results in a lot of pointless bickering.

In my opinion I've had accusations levelled at me on this thread, albeit less directly.

That I only care about myself, not others
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=10634.msg520426#msg520426

That I lie about what I think.
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=10634.msg520364#msg520364

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #1115 on: April 16, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
I try mortally hard not to sanction anyone.  Perhaps I shouldn't try so hard.  In Fact, I won't in future.

So is that a yes or a no? Difficult to tell.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1116 on: April 16, 2019, 11:02:07 AM »

It seems to me that straight talking isn't acceptable but insinuations are fine. I have challenged what I see as insulting and abusive insinuations aimed at me but have had neither explanation or denial from those I challenged.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1117 on: April 16, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
It seems to me that straight talking isn't acceptable but insinuations are fine. I have challenged what I see as insulting and abusive insinuations aimed at me but have had neither explanation or denial from those I challenged.

You are not the only person to have insulting or abusive accusations directed at you... Might be best to draw a line, and move on... Other wise the thread is totally derailed

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1118 on: April 16, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »

When you made the original post accusing me of believing that I am always right and "somewhat  arrogant", I did reply that I found your post inappropriate.
Even though you read my response and noted it, you now repeat your somewhat offensive accusation..

Not only that but you choose to start a days discussion by repeating your accusation.

I'm sorry my post offended you, that wasn't my imtention. I was trying to explain how you sometimes make me feel and I accept I worded it badly.  *%^^&
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1119 on: April 16, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
In my opinion I've had accusations levelled at me on this thread, albeit less directly.

That I only care about myself, not others
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=10634.msg520426#msg520426

That I lie about what I think.
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=10634.msg520364#msg520364

Oh what a bore! ... but since I am referred to ... needs must ...

You said
You have to believe that the police know more than you do! They haven't suggested there's evidence which rules the McCanns out, they've said there's no evidence which suggests their involvement. Anyone who thinks there is is making things up because they're nasty trolls. Any sensible person knows that the police know the truth, tell the truth and don't make mistakes. Have faith!

I said
I think that exactly sums up the sceptics belief ... not so much in the police whose final report laid it on the line ... but in Amaral's beliefs which he formulated in 2007 and which remain the cornerstone for sceptics.

You said
Are you accusing me of lying? You seem to be saying I disbelieve the police who wrote the PJ final report, but I believed Amaral, adopted his beliefs, made them the cornerstone of my beliefs and still believe him. You seem to believe you know what I think and whatever I say to the contrary I'm lying.

I find that pretty insulting.
_______________________________________________________________________-

No I did not accuse you of lying.

In my opinion you asked the question of me knowing that full well ... but you are using the factoid of your creation to make false accusations against me as per your invention.

I have an On Topic opinion on that ... but suffice it to say ... quite often your posting style leaves a lot to be desired.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1120 on: April 16, 2019, 11:12:08 AM »
You are not the only person to have insulting or abusive accusations directed at you... Might be best to draw a line, and move on... Other wise the thread is totally derailed

It is my opinion that is not entirely unintended. 

Offline jassi

« Reply #1121 on: April 16, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »
Why would anyone want to derail such an entertaining and informative thread ?

Or maybe not -

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1122 on: April 16, 2019, 11:21:13 AM »

I'm used to being insulted, abused and accused, but this thread has been devoted to sceptic bashing in my opinon.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1123 on: April 16, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
Oh what a bore! ... but since I am referred to ... needs must ...

You said
You have to believe that the police know more than you do! They haven't suggested there's evidence which rules the McCanns out, they've said there's no evidence which suggests their involvement. Anyone who thinks there is is making things up because they're nasty trolls. Any sensible person knows that the police know the truth, tell the truth and don't make mistakes. Have faith!

I said
I think that exactly sums up the sceptics belief ... not so much in the police whose final report laid it on the line ... but in Amaral's beliefs which he formulated in 2007 and which remain the cornerstone for sceptics.

You said
Are you accusing me of lying? You seem to be saying I disbelieve the police who wrote the PJ final report, but I believed Amaral, adopted his beliefs, made them the cornerstone of my beliefs and still believe him. You seem to believe you know what I think and whatever I say to the contrary I'm lying.

I find that pretty insulting.
_______________________________________________________________________-

No I did not accuse you of lying.

In my opinion you asked the question of me knowing that full well ... but you are using the factoid of your creation to make false accusations against me as per your invention.

I have an On Topic opinion on that ... but suffice it to say ... quite often your posting style leaves a lot to be desired.

As you say, you said;

"I think that exactly sums up the sceptics belief ... not so much in the police whose final report laid it on the line ... but in Amaral's beliefs which he formulated in 2007 and which remain the cornerstone for sceptics."

A simple question for you; do you believe me when I say those are not my beliefs or do you not?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #1124 on: April 16, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »
You continue to encourage name calling in my opinion.
No, it is the general interaction between the members that results in the name calling.  It is then a moderator's call as to what to do about it.  I have my doubts that all name calling can be stopped.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.