Author Topic: Abbreviations in the Jeremy Bamber case  (Read 8635 times)

Online APRIL

Offline ISpyWithMyEye

Re: Abbreviations in the Jeremy Bamber case
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 09:51:31 AM »

Water Closet?

Could have been, April! @)(++(*

Nope...it’s Wrong Conversation 🧐
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 12:15:49 AM by Ispywithmybigeye »
Seeking Justice for June & Nevill Bamber, Sheila Caffell & her two six-year-old twin boys who were shot dead in their heads by Psychopath, JEREMY BAMBER who must NEVER be released.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
It is, but part of remembering the abbreviation is the context the name (hence the abbreviation) comes into the drama.

I find the constant use of abbreviations to be tiresome in the extreme.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Online APRIL

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 10:17:08 AM »
I find the constant use of abbreviations to be tiresome in the extreme.

HOORAH!!! I couldn't agree more.

Offline The General

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »

HOORAH!!! I couldn't agree more.
...and acronyms.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Online APRIL

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 12:44:43 PM »
...and acronyms.

I'm not quite so down on those because we usually know what is meant by for example (LOL ~ eg) NASA. but overuse of initials for names can be confusing particularly if there there are numerous people mentioned in the same post as sometimes happens.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 01:19:03 PM »
I'm not quite so down on those because we usually know what is meant by for example (LOL ~ eg) NASA. but overuse of initials for names can be confusing particularly if there there are numerous people mentioned in the same post as sometimes happens.

You'll soon pick it up Brie assuming you want to that is.  If your resistant for whatever reasons it could act as a psychological barrier to your learning. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
You'll soon pick it up Brie assuming you want to that is.  If your resistant for whatever reasons it could act as a psychological barrier to your learning.

In my opinion over usage of abbreviation is a lazy way of posting and is not conducive to imparting information particularly if it switches the reader off as it does for me and is actually a throwback to advice I was once given about inclusiveness and imparting knowledge;

Snip
When you have been in your specific industry for any amount of time, acronyms and abbreviations begin to creep up in your everyday speech. This is because you know what they are meant to represent in your industry and in your own organization, and that your colleagues will understand what you say. Acronyms and abbreviations exist in all areas of life from medicine to religion, but can complicate document translation, among other types of localization.
Advice
As a general rule, you should write out completely the meaning of the abbreviation or acronym when you first use it, including the acronym itself in parentheses.
https://www.simultrans.com/blog/avoiding-acronyms-and-abbreviations-when-writing-content-for-translation

In other words you and a select few may know what you are talking about but a wider audience won't have a scooby;  for effective communication I think the above advice for translators is as good as anything: then we have had this discussion on another board ~ I found it amusing that you learned nothing from that and the same observation has arisen here 😁

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 04:43:27 PM »
In my opinion over usage of abbreviation is a lazy way of posting and is not conducive to imparting information particularly if it switches the reader off as it does for me and is actually a throwback to advice I was once given about inclusiveness and imparting knowledge;

Snip
When you have been in your specific industry for any amount of time, acronyms and abbreviations begin to creep up in your everyday speech. This is because you know what they are meant to represent in your industry and in your own organization, and that your colleagues will understand what you say. Acronyms and abbreviations exist in all areas of life from medicine to religion, but can complicate document translation, among other types of localization.
Advice
As a general rule, you should write out completely the meaning of the abbreviation or acronym when you first use it, including the acronym itself in parentheses.
https://www.simultrans.com/blog/avoiding-acronyms-and-abbreviations-when-writing-content-for-translation

In other words you and a select few may know what you are talking about but a wider audience won't have a scooby;  for effective communication I think the above advice for translators is as good as anything: then we have had this discussion on another board ~ I found it amusing that you learned nothing from that and the same observation has arisen here 😁

I'll produce a glossary of terms.
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 05:09:12 PM »
I'll produce a glossary of terms.

Please do not bother on my behalf ... but as you were advised on another thread it is good manners to be inclusive in your posting and I can do no other than suggest you take note of independent guidance already posted ...
Advice

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
Please do not bother on my behalf ... but as you were advised on another thread it is good manners to be inclusive in your posting and I can do no other than suggest you take note of independent guidance already posted ...
Advice

It's no bother Brie.  I accept I'm rather base and lacking in social graces  8(8-))

But on the plus side if for example JM or anyone else decided to Google her full maiden name they wouldn't find our posts discussing aspects of her life she would rather forget about. 

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 05:33:43 PM »
It's no bother Brie.  I accept I'm rather base and lacking in social graces  8(8-))

But on the plus side if for example JM or anyone else decided to Google her full maiden name they wouldn't find our posts discussing aspects of her life she would rather forget about.

Or find you and sue you
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 05:36:39 PM »

Answer me this Holly, why did you appear so willing to use the full name of a young, innocent murder victim in order to attempt to point score/prove your point or whatever it is you were doing yet you’d abbreviate Julie’s name ?

And I suspect you were fully aware of the controversy surrounding that particular case, the murderers defence argument and how the media were making it about her sex life  *&^^&
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:44:35 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 05:44:39 PM »
Answer me this Holly, why did you appear so willing to use the full name of a young, innocent murder victim in order to attempt to point score/prove your point or whatever it is you were doing yet you’d abbreviate Julie’s name ?

I wasn't point scoring I was simply highlighting what I consider to be a flaw in ISpy's argument.  Everything relating to GM is very recent and all in the public domain.  Conversely JM could never have imagined that her wit stats would end up on www some 35 years on.