Author Topic: EU membership, should we stay or leave?  (Read 126383 times)

stephen25000

Re: EU membership, should we stay or leave?
« Reply #360 on: June 22, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »
Apparently Boris mentioned tomorrow being Independence Day.

Did he understand the irony of that.

If we had no independence, there would be no referendum.

..and to think he could be the next PM.

He is a speaker of slogans, with no content.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #361 on: June 22, 2016, 08:27:47 AM »
Apparently Boris mentioned tomorrow being Independence Day.

Did he understand the irony of that.

If we had no independence, there would be no referendum.

..and to think he could be the next PM.

He is a speaker of slogans, with no content.

Watching some of the debate last night I was struck by two things.

The three 'leave' speakers seemed to be more interested in trotting out an identical slogan than in the content of their answers

Ruth Davidson. 

stephen25000

« Reply #362 on: June 22, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »
Watching some of the debate last night I was struck by two things.

The three 'leave' speakers seemed to be more interested in trotting out an identical slogan than in the content of their answers

Ruth Davidson.

I concur JP.

I was quite impressed by Ms. Davidson.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #363 on: June 22, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »
Phew.  It's all fine. 

Boris has said that if the vote is to leave the EU and Britain goes into recession, then he will apologise.

That will make everything alright.

8(0(*

stephen25000

« Reply #364 on: June 22, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »
Phew.  It's all fine. 

Boris has said that if the vote is to leave the EU and Britain goes into recession, then he will apologise.

That will make everything alright.

8(0(*

Well isn't that fine and dandy of him.

What a jolly good chap he is.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #365 on: June 22, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »
English fisherman interviewed on Sky News earlier saying that the EU project is nothing more than an attempt to recreate the old USSR.  I tend to agree.

Germany has old scores to settle with Russia and a political and military unification of Europe can only lead to trouble as already seen with the Ukraine crisis.

I sincerely hope the people who really count speak with one voice tomorrow and destroy this EU project once and for all.  Then it will truly be Independence Day!!

The irony is not lost on Cameron however.  If he loses he will be remembered for giving Britain back hope and independence.  If he wins he ultimately loses as his time in No 10 is doomed and he will be remembered as a Judas.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:08:26 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

stephen25000

« Reply #366 on: June 22, 2016, 11:14:37 AM »
English fisherman interviewed on Sky News earlier saying that the EU project is nothing more than an attempt to recreate the old USSR.  I tend to agree.

Germany has old scores to settle with Russia and a political and military unification of Europe can only lead to trouble as already seen with the Ukraine crisis.

I sincerely hope the people who really count speak with one voice tomorrow and destroy this EU project once and for all.  Then it will truly be Independence Day!!

The irony is not lost on Cameron however.  If he loses he will be remembered for giving Britain back hope and independence.  If he wins he ultimately loses as his time in No 10 is doomed and he will be remembered as a Judas.

In what way do you think people are losing their British identity ?

According to the BBC, the result will be known by approx. 7.30 am Friday morning.

I saw the two fishermen.

Remember for years, most countries have been over fishing. A very short sighted approach.

Offline John

« Reply #367 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:47 AM »

According to the BBC, the result will be known by approx. 7.30 am Friday morning.

I saw the two fishermen.

Remember for years, most countries have been over fishing. A very short sighted approach.

Do you remember the Spanish super trawlers sucking up everything around the British coast?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #368 on: June 22, 2016, 11:25:39 AM »
Do you remember the Spanish super trawlers sucking up everything around the British coast?

Sorry John, all countries have been over fishing.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #369 on: June 22, 2016, 11:26:02 AM »

I happen to live in a fishing town, where our fisherman livelihoods are constrained by EU quotas, while the spanish trawlers gobble everything up indescriminately.

Put Britain first.

Vote Leave.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

stephen25000

« Reply #370 on: June 22, 2016, 11:33:25 AM »
I happen to live in a fishing town, where our fisherman livelihoods are constrained by EU quotas, while the spanish trawlers gobble everything up indescriminately.

Put Britain first.

Vote Leave.

I presume you can prove Spanish trawlers are doing this now ?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #371 on: June 22, 2016, 12:09:43 PM »

I saw the two fishermen.

As someone who remembers being on a bus or train, in a shop, a doctor's waiting room or just a park and hearing only English being spoken the different languages I hear now can be disconcerting. Sometimes communication is difficult.

On the other hand my grandchildren are used to mixing with people from many different backgrounds and think nothing of it.

The first situation fostered racism and zenophobia and encouraged nationalism and patriotism. The second situation discourages all of the above. Younger people are much more tolerant and informed about those from other countries and cultures.

The question is whether national identity necessarily involves the population being homogeneous. Some countries have managed it, but is that because all of their populace are relatively recent immigrants?

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

« Reply #372 on: June 22, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
I see that Michael Gove has labelled some Economists Nazis, merely because they question Brexit's 'forecasts'.

That is truly deplorable but no more than I would expect from him or his kindred.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #373 on: June 22, 2016, 12:35:38 PM »
As someone who remembers being on a bus or train, in a shop, a doctor's waiting room or just a park and hearing only English being spoken the different languages I hear now can be disconcerting. Sometimes communication is difficult.

On the other hand my grandchildren are used to mixing with people from many different backgrounds and think nothing of it.

The first situation fostered racism and zenophobia and encouraged nationalism and patriotism. The second situation discourages all of the above. Younger people are much more tolerant and informed about those from other countries and cultures.

The question is whether national identity necessarily involves the population being homogeneous. Some countries have managed it, but is that because all of their populace are relatively recent immigrants?

You raise some interesting and thoughtful points.  And I can understand that it may be confusing, but we are all just people.  I was fortunate to have brought up with several languages, and work internationally so I see the mix of languages spoken, especially in London, fascinating. 

And I feel British first and European second.  There is no doubt that we are a sovereign nation, under the British constitution and governed by the British Parliament and laws.  In those areas where EU law has overridden English law it is only with the consent of parliament.   Our relationship with the EU is as one of the three senior members of the EU.

As a county we have always had immigration - Angles, Saxons, Romans, Normans, Africans, Chinese, Jews, Arabs, Indians, Italians etc etc.  It's a big melting pot.  And Immigrants who stay have become British. 

You are right that the young are more relaxed about differences, and are more global in outlook, and more likely to vote remain, while the old are more likely to vote leave.  The young are the future so maybe the older generation should consider their wishes and their future.

stephen25000

« Reply #374 on: June 22, 2016, 12:43:02 PM »
You raise some interesting and thoughtful points.  And I can understand that it may be confusing, but we are all just people.  I was fortunate to have brought up with several languages, and work internationally so I see the mix of languages spoken, especially in London, fascinating. 

And I feel British first and European second.  There is no doubt that we are a sovereign nation, under the British constitution and governed by the British Parliament and laws.  In those areas where EU law has overridden English law it is only with the consent of parliament.   Our relationship with the EU is as one of the three senior members of the EU.

As a county we have always had immigration - Angles, Saxons, Romans, Normans, Africans, Chinese, Jews, Arabs, Indians, Italians etc etc.  It's a big melting pot.  And Immigrants who stay have become British. 

You are right that the young are more relaxed about differences, and are more global in outlook, and more likely to vote remain, while the old are more likely to vote leave.  The young are the future so maybe the older generation should consider their wishes and their future.

Having lived in London for several years, I too have seen the mixing of cultures, and as you say JP, younger people don't have the hangup's older people sometimes have.

Whether it is people being scared of change and/or the fear of the unknown, I do not know.

As I have already said on this thread, I do encounter regularly people from the EU in my work, and speaking personally I do enjoy conversing with them , and seeing how much we have in common.