Author Topic: Should people be legally obliged to use their real name on the internet?  (Read 5839 times)

Offline jassi

Re: Should people be legally obliged to use their real name on the internet?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »
I don't think it is all that important.  Really nasty people can always be exposed if necessary, which it mostly isn't.

Refusing to admit to the given name will always be seen as some sort of shame.

Alternatively it could mean not wanting to leave a bigger digital trail than necessary.
It never ceases to amaze me how much personal information people are willing to put on social media.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »
Maybe for a bit of fun we should all develop our "Conway Twitty" names.
"Accounts vary of how Jenkins acquired the stage name of Conway Twitty. Allegedly, in 1957, Jenkins decided that his real name was not memorable enough and sought a better show business name. In The Billboard Book of Number One Hits Fred Bronson states that the singer was looking at a road map when he spotted Conway, Arkansas, and Twitty, Texas, and chose the name Conway Twitty"

I think I will be Messing St Osyth.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline sadie

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 02:47:27 AM »
I would 100% agree
Why don't you enforce it on the forum
What would be a good idea IMO would be that everyone had to register their name and address with a verifiable safe authority ... one which had legal clout.   In turn, they would have to make sure of the registrations veracity.

Then safely registered, they could post away with a pseudonym of their choice .... and my bet is that few, if any, of the lies, twists and outrageous remarks would be made

With Christmas upon us I haven't had chance to catch up with all the posts on this thread (or others) and i hope that I am not repeating what others have suggested,.