Author Topic: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.  (Read 265404 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Sunday Times claim that Smith e-fits had been suppressed for 5 years.
« Reply #390 on: October 27, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
I wonder which police that would be? Because at that time there was no active police investigation.

yes august 08 pj files released
nov 08 e fits produced and sent to pj
that's why they aren't in the files
so what did the pj do with them

icabodcrane

« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »
Is that a new article in the times by Dominic Kennedy  (  I noticed it on googling news ) 

It begins  :

Five years have been wasted in the hunt for Madeleine McCann  while pictures of the prime suspect in her abduction were suppressed

Does anyone have a Times subscription  ?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Ok fair point. I've been reading to much on the Amaral case recently.  8(0(*

open minded my ars*..IM from the uk ..where are you from?

Offline xtina

« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »
Is that a new article in the times by Dominic Kennedy  (  I noticed it on googling news ) 

It begins  :

Five years have been wasted in the hunt for Madeleine McCann  while pictures of the prime suspect in her abduction were suppressed

Does anyone have a Times subscription  ?

all i can see  is this .....but we will see more later

by Madeleine’s parents Met Police/PA

Dominic Kennedy

Published 1 minute ago

Five years have been wasted in the hunt for Madeleine McCann while pictures of the prime suspect in her abduction were suppressed.

The e-fits were produced by a private detective agency hired by Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry. The investigators based their pictures on a description provided by an Irish holidaymaker in Praia da Luz, Portugal, where Madeleine vanished shortly before her fourth birthday in 2007.

well better  get  battened  down for the on coming storm..........[i mean the weather]
Always listen to both sides of the story before you judge.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.

icabodcrane

« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2013, 12:00:01 AM »
all i can see  is this .....but we will see more later

by Madeleine’s parents Met Police/PA

Dominic Kennedy

Published 1 minute ago

Five years have been wasted in the hunt for Madeleine McCann while pictures of the prime suspect in her abduction were suppressed.

The e-fits were produced by a private detective agency hired by Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry. The investigators based their pictures on a description provided by an Irish holidaymaker in Praia da Luz, Portugal, where Madeleine vanished shortly before her fourth birthday in 2007.

well better  get  battened  down for the on coming storm..........[i mean the weather]

Dominic Kennedy is The Times Investigations Editor   ...  I guess they must know they're on safe ground,  legally,  to run with this story 

Storm clouds gathering

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #395 on: October 28, 2013, 01:57:25 AM »
To misquote Fawlty Towers: "Don't mention the Smith sighting!"

We all know why it worries them - but to have laboured bundleman for 5 years when their own guys told them to drop it. Incredible. 5 years wasted. More than ever the "search" seems insincere.

So you mean police, private detectives and the public wasted five years scouring the earth for a dark-haired, faceless man wearing light-coloured trousers and a brown jacket..

..when they could have been looking for -  a dark-haired man wearing light-coloured trousers and a brown jacket, facial features unavailable / unknown?

Offline John

« Reply #396 on: October 28, 2013, 02:03:48 AM »
Important note

My post « Reply #5 on: Today at 12:11:19 AM » was a direct copy and paste from the Times article which was available to subscription members only.

John edited my post « Last Edit: Today at 02:02:07 AM by John »

I am now unable to verify that the Times article is accurate as I have no idea what edits John made and i am not going to do a word by word check with the original.

No content was changed or altered in any way, however some text was made bold to highlight its importance.  End off!

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2013, 02:13:24 AM »
Exton confirmed last week that the fund had silenced his investigators for years after they handed over their controversial findings. He said: “A letter came from their lawyers binding us to the confidentiality of the report.”

He claimed the legal threat had prevented him from handing over the report to Scotland Yard’s fresh investigation, until detectives had obtained written permission from the fund.

I find this quite surreal.  Scotland Yard don't need permission from the "Fund" or anyone else when investigating the disappearance of a child.  They can seize any documents they want.

Was it more a case of the Report being hidden from SY?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2013, 02:29:09 AM »
Seems to me that while the McCanns considered the efits 'tainted' by the financial dispute between them and Halligen SY have no such qualms with regard to their usefulness.

Further if these are considered by SY to be a key element in cracking the case won't the populous be appalled that several million more pounds of public money has been spent on this case than needed to be, and if Madeleine is alive several more years spent by her in goodness knows what situation, than if the efits had been handed over to SY in the beginning ?

Can you image the public outcry if it is eventually discovered that Madeleine died in the last 5 years and might well have been rescued if the e-fits had been handed over to the PJ when they were created.

icabodcrane

« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2013, 02:39:18 AM »
I find this quite surreal.  Scotland Yard don't need permission from the "Fund" or anyone else when investigating the disappearance of a child.  They can seize any documents they want.

Was it more a case of the Report being hidden from SY?

How about this for a scenario John ...

Henri Exton contacts Scotland Yard and says,  "I've got some important information that will be very relevant to your investigation,  but I can't give it to you  because the McCann lawyers have hamstrung me with legal threats"

So Scotland Yard approach the McCanns and say,  "We want this information  ...   get your lawyers to lift their threat so this witness can speak to us freely"

What can the McCanns do  ? ...  tell Scotland Yard that they will not call their legal dogs off,  and, therefore the information the police need will remain  'off limits'  ? 

Of course they couldn't 

They  HAD  to give written assurances that if  Exton gave the information that  Scotland  Yard wanted from him,   there would be be no legal objection from them

Rock and a hard place 

icabodcrane

« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2013, 03:25:45 AM »
It was clear to all who read the original and the 'edited' version of what changes were made !
The poster made a half assed attempt to discredit your integrity and even handedness, thankfully most intelligent members saw through the ruse as another poor attempt to derail and disrupt an important thread !

How very well  said 

8@??)(

Offline John

« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2013, 03:39:34 AM »
It looks like the other broadsheets are jointing in.  From the Irish Independent.

Maddie evidence was from 'hidden' report.

Ben Farmer – 28 October 2013

Critical new evidence at the centre of the reinvigorated hunt for Madeleine McCann came from a suppressed report by ex-MI5 investigators.

The evidence, including e-fits of a man seen carrying a child the night the toddler disappeared, was included in an intelligence report produced by a firm of former spies for her parents in 2008.

But the report was sidelined for five years by Gerry and Kate McCann because it was critical of people involved and would have caused a distraction if made public, 'The Sunday Times' reported.

The team of hand-picked former MI5 agents was hired by the McCanns in the spring of 2008, 10 months after their daughter disappeared from the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz.

HYPERCRITICAL

But the report they produced was "hypercritical" of the McCanns and their friends and the authors were threatened with legal action if it were ever published.

The report contents were kept secret until Scotland Yard detectives conducting a fresh review of the case contacted the author for a copy.

The e-fits of the suspect formed the centrepiece of a Crimewatch appeal earlier this month that attracted 2,400 calls from the public. (© Daily Telegraph, London)

Irish Independent

www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/maddie-evidence-was-from-hidden-report-29705131.html

icabodcrane

« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2013, 03:54:46 AM »
Thank you icabod, and on that note I shall bid you good night !

Sweet dreams

It's always good to see the forum supported   ...  we are  under attack now , but that's the price that  a broad-church arena of free and open debate,  like ours,  pays

We stand above the bitterly fought partisan wars  that have raged fir six years ...   like a beacon of common sense

Offline John

« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2013, 03:58:39 AM »
From The Australian.

Madeleine McCann e-fit pictures overlooked for 5 years.

Dominic Kennedy
The Times
October 28, 2013 11:01AM

FIVE years have been wasted in the hunt for Madeleine McCann while pictures of the prime suspect in her abduction were suppressed.

The e-fits were produced by a private detective agency hired by Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry. The investigators based their pictures on a description provided by an Irish holidaymaker in Praia da Luz, Portugal, where Madeleine vanished shortly before her fourth birthday in 2007.

www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/madeleine-mccann-e-fit-pictures-overlooked-for-5-years/story-fnb64oi6-1226748119500#

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »
Madeleine McCann e-fit pictures overlooked for 5 years

Dominic Kennedy
   The Times
   October 28, 2013 11:01AM

New McCann appeal involves e-fits
   Madeleine McCann

FIVE years have been wasted in the hunt for Madeleine McCann while pictures of the prime suspect in her abduction were suppressed.

The e-fits were produced by a private detective agency hired by Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry. The investigators based their pictures on a description provided by an Irish holidaymaker in Praia da Luz, Portugal, where Madeleine vanished shortly before her fourth birthday in 2007.

The Irishman's account was overlooked at the time because it clashed with an earlier sighting by Jane Tanner, one of the McCanns' dining companions. Scotland Yard has now established that Ms Tanner's description appeared to match an innocent holidaymaker who had been collecting his child from a creche.

The e-fits were produced as part of an unpublished report by the private detective agency Oakley International that has been seen by The Sunday Times. They were finally broadcast on a BBC Crimewatch program this month, attracting 1,000 telephone calls and e-mails, some naming the same man.

One of the Oakley investigators told The Sunday Times: "I was absolutely stunned when I watched the programme. It most certainly wasn't a new timeline and it certainly isn't a new revelation. It is absolute nonsense to suggest either of those things. And those e-fits you saw on Crimewatch were ours."

The McCanns declined to renew Oakley International's $843,000 contract in 2008 after suggestions that it was too expensive. The firm's founder, Kevin Halligen, was alleged to have failed to pass money to an investigator on the McCanns' case, although he denies this. This summer Halligen was jailed for 41 months by a US judge for an unrelated multimillion-dollar fraud.

Nonetheless, Oakley's e-fits have now become the centrepiece of Scotland Yard's investigation. The Oakley report deduced that a sighting of Madeleine by Martin Smith from Drogheda, Co Louth, was credible. Mr Smith, returning to his apartment in Praia da Luz about 9.50pm, saw a British-looking man carrying a motionless, barefoot girl in pyjamas. Madeleine was noted to be missing by her mother at 10pm.

The Oakley investigation concluded that an over-emphasis had been given to Ms Tanner's account. She described seeing a man about 9.15pm. There was a potential difficulty with Mr Smith's version. He estimated that he was 60 to 80 per cent certain that the man he saw was Mr McCann. Mr McCann's movements for that time have been established: he was seen by witnesses to be in a tapas restaurant.

Mr Smith's suggestion that he might have seen Mr McCann carrying Madeleine shortly before her disappearance was seized on by Goncalo Amaral, the Portuguese detective leading the search. The McCanns are suing Mr Amaral for alleging in a book that they might have faked their daughter's abduction.

An Oakley source told The Sunday Times that the Find Madeleine fund's lawyers had required the report to remain confidential.

The Portuguese authorities formally cleared the McCanns and have just reopened their investigation.

The e-fits were in the possession of both Portuguese police and Scotland Yard for some years before this month's publication.

Scotland Yard said yesterday: "Where we have been able to make massive steps forward is by drawing together all the material gathered to date and reviewing it as a whole."

The Sun newspaper claimed yesterday that the e-fits resembled the Scottish paedophiles Charles O'Neill and William Lauchlan. Both are serving life sentences for murdering a woman to prevent her from reporting them for child abuse. At the time of Madeleine's disappearance they were living in Spain and using false passports. Leicestershire police questioned them about Madeleine in jail in 2011.