Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 161714 times)

Offline John

What is an 'internet troll'?
« on: October 16, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
Given recent main stream media interest in internet trolling, the question must be asked, what is an internet troll?

I have searched various dictionary sites on the internet and here are some explanations.

1. Wikipedia explains an internet troll as a person who sows discord by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

2. Oxford online dictionary simply states that an internet troll is a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting.

3. An internet 'troll' is an abusive or obnoxious user who uses shock value to promote arguments and disharmony in online communities.

4. Another site describes internet trolls as people who fish for other people's confidence and, once found, exploit it. They suggest that internet trolls can be divided into four distinct types.

* Playtime Trolls: an individual plays a simple, short game. Such trolls are relatively easy to spot because their attack or provocation is fairly blatant, and the persona is fairly two-dimensional.

*Tactical Trolls: This is where the troller takes the game more seriously, creates a credible persona to gain confidence of others, and provokes strife in a subtle and invidious way.

* Strategic Trolls: A very serious form of game, involving the production of an overall strategy that can take months or years to develop. It can also involve a number of people acting together in order to invade a list.

*Domination Trolls: This is where the trollers' strategy extends to the creation and running of apparently bona-fide mailing lists.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:13:59 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Wonderfulspam

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 11:33:59 AM »

I think I might be a troll John.

Inflammatory posting, being deliberately offensive, abusive & obnoxious......

8()-000(

I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:03:58 PM »

8()-000(

I would go along with that.  But fortunately no one takes you seriously.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »

8()-000(

I see you more of an anti-Davel... 8(0(*
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
I would go along with that.  But fortunately no one takes you seriously.

I think I've been here long enough for people to understand that.... I don't really do serious, not often anyway.

But that's just me, online & off.

Right, back on topic...

I believe the media is misusing the term 'Troll' & giving a bad name to decent 'Trolls' who just enjoy indulging in the internet age sport of wummery.

I'm not sure which posts, if any, of Brenda Leylands could really be desribed as 'trolling' using the defenitions above.

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:48:21 PM »
I believe the media is misusing the term 'Troll' & giving a bad name to decent 'Trolls' who just enjoy indulging in the internet age sport of wummery.

I'm not sure which posts, if any, of Brenda Leylands could really be desribed as 'trolling' using the defenitions above.

I believe there is a little troll in most of us and that we let him or her out to play on occasion.  Most of us can be mischievous when the need arises and I have no problem with that.  What isn't acceptable however is activity which is criminal or borders on criminality. Is this really trolling in the true sense of the term or is this simply a convenient label?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
This wasn't 'trolling' this was just....I dunno?......Messed up!

Woman jailed for trolling herself.

5 February 2014

24-year-old bombarded her own Facebook page with fake abuse in a bid to incriminate her estranged family

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552154/Woman-jailed-trolling-HERSELF-24-year-old-bombarded-Facebook-page-fake-abuse-bid-incriminate-estranged-family.html

stephen25000

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
This wasn't 'trolling' this was just....I dunno?......Messed up!

Woman jailed for trolling herself.

5 February 2014

24-year-old bombarded her own Facebook page with fake abuse in a bid to incriminate her estranged family

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552154/Woman-jailed-trolling-HERSELF-24-year-old-bombarded-Facebook-page-fake-abuse-bid-incriminate-estranged-family.html

An attention seeking t##t.

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »

This one doesn't seem to be 'trolling' either,  just terribly sad really.

Hannah Smith wrote 'vile' posts to herself before suicide, say police

Coroner says fears of online bullying unfounded during inquest into Leicestershire teenager who took her own life at home.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/06/hannah-smith-suicide-teenager-cyber-bullying-inquests

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
I believe there is a little troll in most of us and that we let him or her out to play on occasion.  Most of us can be mischievous when the need arises and I have no problem with that.  What isn't acceptable however is activity which is criminal or borders on criminality. Is this really trolling in the true sense of the term or is this simply a convenient label?

Do you think what Brenda Leyland was doing was acceptable?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
Do you think what Brenda Leyland was doing was acceptable?

Do you think she deserved to die?

Davel you call people on here names-you are rude and ignorant to people who merely question, and challenge openly accessible words offered by a family.

I had you labelled a lame troll a long time ago.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Brietta

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »
I think people who indulge themselves in systematic trolling are suffering from a mental illness.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »
I think people who indulge themselves in systematic trolling are suffering from a mental illness.

Considering 'Trolling' hasn't really been defined, as such, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what 'systematic trolling' is.

But, then, I am mentally ill.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:39:04 PM by Wonderfulspam »

Online Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »

Trolling to me is malicious and damaging "Fun" by people who have no interest in any case in question, or any concern for anyone.  It is just a "Laugh" to them.

I don't think that what Brenda did was Trolling.  But it wasn't very nice.  And it must be possible to put some other name to it that is against the law.  Probably Malicious Communications would have covered it.  But then it would cover Trolling as well.

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 03:52:48 PM »
Trolling to me is malicious and damaging "Fun" by people who have no interest in any case in question, or any concern for anyone.  It is just a "Laugh" to them.

I don't think that what Brenda did was Trolling.  But it wasn't very nice.  And it must be possible to put some other name to it that is against the law.  Probably Malicious Communications would have covered it.  But then it would cover Trolling as well.

I only post here.

If the fairytale wasn't exactly that, there'd be nothing to laugh about, but it is, so there is.