Author Topic: The beating and conviction of Leonor Cipriano  (Read 113375 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: The beating and conviction of Leonor Cipriano
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2013, 03:41:06 PM »
This happens everywhere, it's not typical of Portugal where, at least, the media report these cases (and the two PSP officers were heavily and rightly condemned).
Lots of people travel without paying, usually they have either to pay a fine immediately or to sign a document and show their Identity Card. If they refuse both they're taken to the police station.

You make a pertinent point Anne. In the UK where we have had our fair share police brutality, some even leading to convictions being quashed, I think I am correct in saying not one of the officers involved has faced criminal charges. So well done Portugal for admitting when there is a problem and dealing with it appropriately.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
You make a pertinent point Anne. In the UK where we have had our fair share police brutality, some even leading to convictions being quashed, I think I am correct in saying not one of the officers involved has faced criminal charges. So well done Portugal for admitting when there is a problem and dealing with it appropriately.

What is the usual procedure in the UK if a police officer is under investigation? Do they stay on whatever case they are working on? Get suspended? Moved to other duties?

Offline Benice

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2013, 04:42:19 PM »

You're right Faithlilly, we did have cases of people being forced into giving false confessions and in those days a policeman's word would be taken over a prisoner in the dock in court almost as a matter of course.    But that was many decades ago in the main, and with the introduction of CCTV in police stations and interviews being video recorded there is little chance of that happening today.   

It seems to me that some sections of the Pj (not all) are still 'policing' in the 'old fashioned' way but fortunately it is being recognised and dealt with to some degree at least.  But nowhere near enough.  I have no idea why Leonor Cipriano is still in prison - that would certainly not be the case in the UK imo.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Online Eleanor

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »

I very much doubt that The Ciprianos would ever have made it to Court in Britain, what with the dearth of evidence against them, and the amount of evidence that was decreed to be "Unproven",  as noted in The Trial Transcript.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »
You're right Faithlilly, we did have cases of people being forced into giving false confessions and in those days a policeman's word would be taken over a prisoner in the dock in court almost as a matter of course.    But that was many decades ago in the main, and with the introduction of CCTV in police stations and interviews being video recorded there is little chance of that happening today.   

It seems to me that some sections of the Pj (not all) are still 'policing' in the 'old fashioned' way but fortunately it is being recognised and dealt with to some degree at least.  But nowhere near enough.  I have no idea why Leonor Cipriano is still in prison - that would certainly not be the case in the UK imo.

Little chance of it happening now ? Really ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »
It's an open document in FARO Court of Law, go there and look for yourself - I did.

Surely the press must have extensively covered the overturning of police officers' convictions? Where might I find links in the serious press about this?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

Surely the press must have extensively covered the overturning of police officers' convictions? Where might I find links in the serious press about this?

the convictions weren't overturned

Offline Carana

« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »

I don't remember reading anything about that, either. So I'm confused as to what Luz is referring to.

Redblossom

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2013, 06:20:03 PM »
Luz must be referring to all the pj officers she (LC)  accused of torture being found not guilty and IIRC after this she was tried and found guilty for perjury about this torture and her sentence increased by some months for it

Online Eleanor

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »

From what I understood, Leonor was convicted because she couldn't identify the officers who had tortured her, and that apparently "Innocent" men had been charged and temporarily "Defamed" by those charges, before they were acquitted.
There has never been any doubt that she was tortured while in Police Custody.

I seem to remember that Amaral brought a accusation of Defamation against Marcos Correia because Marcos said that he, Amaral was involved in the torture, before Amaral was convicted.
Amaral lost that case.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2013, 06:36:49 PM »
It's an open document in FARO Court of Law, go there and look for yourself - I did.

No they were not. No surprize though, it was Faro court!

Gonçalo Amaral, former coordinator of the Criminal Investigation Department of the PJ of Portimão, was acquitted of the crime of failure to report and sentenced to a year and a half for the crime of making false allegations, with suspended sentence same period.

http://www.lux.iol.pt/nacionais/leonor-cipriano-condenada-a-sete-meses-por-mentir-a-justica-leonor-cipriano-prisao/1435391-4996.html

If you can manage to go through all of this, there is some rather interesting pieces in there.

20/04/2006

The document is the full report of the appeal process of Joana's 'murder' at the Supreme Court of Justice. It is lengthy (and boring...)  composed of two distinct parts, the final report (summary) and the detailed argumentation. It was voted by 4 judges and one against. This one made a 'declaration of vote'

http://www.dgsi.pt/jstj.nsf/954f0ce6ad9dd8b980256b5f003fa814/bfaf1cea93ab75fb8025716200388d89?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,cipriano
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:50:51 PM by DCI »
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

ferryman

« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
Luz must be referring to all the pj officers she (LC)  accused of torture being found not guilty and IIRC after this she was tried and found guilty for perjury about this torture and her sentence increased by some months for it

Torture was found proved (hence Amaral's conviction) but the officers responsible for torture were not identified.

That was because Leonor had a bag over her head as she was being tortured ...

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
From what I understood, Leonor was convicted because she couldn't identify the officers who had tortured her, and that apparently "Innocent" men had been charged and temporarily "Defamed" by those charges, before they were acquitted.
There has never been any doubt that she was tortured while in Police Custody.

I seem to remember that Amaral brought a accusation of Defamation against Marcos Correia because Marcos said that he, Amaral was involved in the torture, before Amaral was convicted.
Amaral lost that case.

Yes only last year, Eleanor

http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/sociedade/goncalo-amaral-caso-joana-leonor-cipriano-pj-joana-tvi24/1357977-4071.html
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Redblossom

« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »
Torture was found proved (hence Amaral's conviction) but the officers responsible for torture were not identified.

That was because Leonor had a bag over her head as she was being tortured ...

So how then did she name them in the first place if she didnt know who it was?

Why did she get convicted  of perjury?

BTW Amarals conviction doesnt prove the PJ tortured her, cant you work it out?

So, no one has answered my previous post, LC was in the presence of her lawyer, not the mad one, the one before,  when she confessed which was the day BEFORE she says she was beaten for a confession, worked it out yet? And what would be the point of the police beating a confession out when confessions are INVALID in court

ferryman

« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
So how then did she name them in the first place if she didnt know who it was?

Why did she get convicted  of perjury?

BTW Amarals conviction doesnt prove the PJ tortured her, cant you work it out?

So, no one has answered my previous post, LC was in the presence of her lawyer, not the mad one, the one before,  when she confessed which was the day BEFORE she says she was beaten for a confession, worked it out yet? And what would be the point of the police beating a confession out when confessions are INVALID in court

You are confusing those present with those responsible for torture.

Before the bag was placed over her head, she'd have known who was present.

After the bag was placed over her head, she'd have had no clue who delivered the blows