Author Topic: A proven miscarriage of justice in Portugal  (Read 18936 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: A proven miscarriage of justice in Portugal
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2019, 02:29:25 PM »
It is relevant because if the Ciprianos actually were not responsible for the disappearance of a little girl shortly before the disappearance of another little girl in the same area then who was?

I don't think one requires to be a crime investigator as a profession to work that one out and I think it must have changed village life somewhat for those who lived there with their families when analysing the situation particularly if there were strangers in town attracted by the fiesta.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
I don’t suppose anyone has ever been convicted on the strength of their “very fluid” but completely false account of a crime they never committed?

Sorry VS I'm going to have to take issue with you on that one having watched a documentary on the Pendle Witch Trials just last night ... http://www.pendlewitches.co.uk/ ... one archaeologists excavating and investigating the period considered their treatment was akin to brainwashing.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
anyone remember the Central Park rape case?  4 out of 5 of the defendants apprehended afterwards confessed to their part in a gang rape yet none of them was actually responsible.

Confessions
Four of the five confessed to a number of the attacks committed in the park that night, and implicated one or more of the others.[10][39] None of the five said they themselves actually raped the jogger, but each confessed to being an accomplice to the rape.[10] All five said that they themselves had only helped restrain the jogger, or touched her, while one or more others raped her.[39] Antron McCray said that a "Puerto Rican kid with a hoodie" had been the one who raped the jogger.[10] While he was incarcerated in the Rikers Island jail, Korey Wise told the older sister of a friend of his, according to her testimony, that he had only held the jogger down.[39]

Yusef Salaam made verbal admissions, but refused to sign a confession or make one on videotape. However, Salaam was implicated by all of the other four, and convicted at trial. Six others were charged with committing crimes in the park that night as well. They pleaded guilty and received sentences of six months to four and a half years.[10] On appeal, Salaam's supporters and attorneys charged that he had been held by police without access to parents or guardians. The majority appellate court decision noted that Salaam had initially lied to police in claiming to be 16, and he had backed up his claim with a transit pass that indeed (falsely, as it turned out) indicated that he was 16. When Salaam informed police of his true age, police permitted his mother to be present.[41]

Analysis indicated that the DNA collected at the crime scene did not match any of the suspects, and that it had come from a single, as yet unknown person.[2] Since no DNA evidence tied the suspects to the crime, the prosecution's case rested almost entirely on the confessions.[26] One of the suspects' supporters, Reverend Calvin O. Butts of the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem, told The New York Times, "The first thing you do in the United States of America when a white woman is raped is round up a bunch of black youths, and I think that's what happened here."[26]

Although the suspects (except Salaam) had confessed on videotape in the presence of a parent or guardian, they retracted their statements within weeks, claiming that they had been intimidated, lied to, and coerced into making false confessions.[2] Salaam confessed to being present only after the detective falsely told him that fingerprints had been found on the victim's clothing.[11] According to Salaam, "I would hear them beating up Korey Wise in the next room", and "they would come and look at me and say: 'You realise you're next.' The fear made me feel really like I was not going to be able to make it out."[42] While the confessions themselves were videotaped, the hours of interrogation that preceded the confessions were not.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
A long but fascinating article about false confessions for anyone who believes that “a very fluid” reconstruction means someone is giving an accurate account of their actions

https://www.apa.org/research/action/speaking-of-psychology/false-confessions

It brings to the fore the enormous inner strength possessed by Kate McCann to withstand such pressures.  Her driving force was knowing that without her and Gerry Madeleine was abandoned and left entirely on her own with no one looking for a 'dead' child.

Offline barrier

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2019, 03:53:12 PM »
Tis too.  Glad you agree.

Look unto thy self and wonder why no one post's.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2019, 03:56:39 PM »

Who isn't posting?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2019, 04:48:14 PM »

No one post's what? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2019, 11:36:48 PM »
No one post's what?
It has finally run its course.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2019, 12:08:35 AM »
What is?  Can you please tell me what convinces you that the Ciprianos are guilty?

They admitted it   @)(++(*
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2019, 12:09:50 AM »
It brings to the fore the enormous inner strength possessed by Kate McCann to withstand such pressures.  Her driving force was knowing that without her and Gerry Madeleine was abandoned and left entirely on her own with no one looking for a 'dead' child.

I agree with you that she was abandoned to her fate.  Disgraceful parenting imo.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2019, 07:14:47 AM »
They admitted it   @)(++(*
Have you read the OP?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
As there is no real evidence of any crime.... Apart from the confession that was beaten out of Leonor Cipriano... I think it's highl likely she is totally innocent
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:06:21 PM by Davel »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »
As there is no real evidence of any crime.... Apart from the confession that was beaten out of Leonor Cipriano... I think it's highl likely she is totally innocent

What about the confession and reconstitution of João ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2019, 06:15:17 PM »
What about the confession and reconstitution of João ?

Have you read the OP... You should

Despite the prosecution claims of death and dismemberment.... Not one shred of forensic evidence
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:21:40 PM by Davel »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »

Man who served a sentence for a crime he did not commit requires 500 thousand euros for "gross error" Armindo Castro was convicted and imprisoned for two and a half years.
By Fátima Vilaça | 05.02.19 share 559 0 1 / 4
Armindo Castro foi condenado a 20 anos de prisão CMTV 559 0
Armindo Castro was imprisoned for two years and a half for a crime he did not commit.

The 941 days he spent behind the bars left the student of Fafe, 32, "serious psychological damage." And so, now requires the State compensation of half a million euros as a way to repair "the gross inexcusable and scandalous error" - the sentence to 20 years in jail for the murder of the aunt, Odete Castro, in Joane, Famalicão, in 2012 . The crime was to be assumed, two years later, by another man. Armindo Castro was finally acquitted as early as January 2018, but his life was not the same again. "We hoped that someone on behalf of the state would have had some contact with Armindo Castro, in order to apologize at least, to alleviate this injustice and repair this enormous error of law, but this has never happened and we have decided to proceed with this process to demand the reparation of this clamorous error of the Portuguese Justice, "explained the lawyer Paulo Gomes, who has already filed the lawsuit demanding the State compensation for the damages caused. The lawyer based his claim on the decision of the Guimarães Court - which acquitted Armindo Castro in January of last year. "It was clearly demonstrated in the ruling that the Armindo had nothing to do with this crime," he said. The homicide was committed by a couple of neighbors - Artur Gomes and Júlia Lobo -, already condemned to sentences of 20 and 18 years of prison. During the initial investigation, Armindo Castro confessed to the crime and even made a reconstitution of the murder. He then said that he did so by feeling pressured and threatened, fearing that his mother might be arrested.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Castro was originally sentenced to 20 years.......
It seems some people want to turn a blind eye to this...