Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364788 times)

Offline VIXTE

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #1650 on: January 31, 2014, 01:46:59 AM »
Some new info

New turn in Madeleine case?
BY BRENDAN DE BEER, IN NEWS · 30-01-2014 14:52:00 · 0 COMMENTS
The search for Madeleine McCann took an interesting turn this week when it emerged on Thursday that police have now shifted their focus onto three former employees of the Ocean Club resort in Praia da Luz from where the British girl went missing almost seven years ago.

New turn in Madeleine case?
A number of reports in Portugal indicated that contrary to information contained in British tabloids in the past fortnight suggesting police were hot on the trail of a group of burglars, police were actually interested in speaking to three staff members who were at the resort the night Madeleine disappeared.
Sources close to the case told The Portugal News on Thursday that these individuals were of particular interest as they had made “an abnormally high number of mobile phone calls to areas outside the resort the night she went missing.”
The source explained that these calls were domestic, but unlike their colleagues who called each other as the search proceeded, the trio made domestic calls to areas of no geographical interest in the ensuing search.

The Portugal News was also told that the UK Metropolitan Police have made a formal request for Portuguese authorities to obtain access to the bank accounts of these three people who are so far classed as “persons of interest” and are not viewed as suspects.
House searches are also said to have been asked for by Scotland Yard. This procedure could take several days, if not weeks, and can be challenged by the targeted individuals.
Police were not willing to disclose the nationalities of the three former workers.
It is estimated that at the time of Madeleine McCann’s disappearance on 3 May 2007, the Ocean Club was employing 130 Portuguese nationals and 30 Britons, though most of the latter group are believed to have left the country following the economic downturn and negative publicity Praia da Luz received at the time.
This information is amongst that contained in the second international letter of request sent by Scotland Yard to the Attorney-General’s Office in Lisbon.
The document is thought to have arrived at the Portimão Court on Monday, where prosecutors will have the task of instructing local PJ police detectives in the city to carry out the requests contained in the letter, should they be in agreement.
The next step will be for these three individuals to be contacted by PJ police for an interview at their earliest convenience.
It also appears that detectives at the PJ headquarters in Lisbon have not yet received a request from the team of British investigators to sit in on the questioning.
Without authorisation, the teamof British police officers, which includes fluent Portuguese speakers, will not be able to attend questioning.
These interviews will preferably take place at the PJ police stations in either Portimão or Faro, but can also be held at a local PSP or GNR police station should it suit the person of interest to do so.

Four Scotland Yard detectives, including Chief Inspector Andy Redwood paid a fleeting visit to Faro this week in a repeat of what has become a regular monthly meeting to discuss latest developments with their Portuguese colleagues and future joint plans of action.
They returned to Gatwick airport on Wednesday afternoon having been delayed in Faro for an hour due to industrial action by Portuguese air traffic controllers.
The four officers had met with Faro PJ chief Mota Carmo and Portimão PJ chief Ana Paula Rito. The four British detectives were never seen publicly with their Portuguese colleagues and enjoyed meals in their own company.
Portuguese authorities ordered the re-opening of the case into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann last October and immediately excluded the possibility of Madeleine’s parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, of having had any involvement in their daughter’s disappearance.
A statement sent to The Portugal News explained: “The Public Prosecutor’s Office has determined the re-opening of the inquiry relating to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann following a proposal by the Polícia Judiciária and due to the presentation of new elements which justify the continuation of the investigation.”
While a case review has been underway in Portugal since January 2012, spearheaded by leading missing persons detective Helena Monteiro and her team in Oporto, official lines of inquiry were closed in the summer of 2008 by the Attorney-General’s office. At the time, the office said that the case would only be re-opened “should new evidence emerge.”
While Oporto detectives have been working on a review of existing evidence, six detectives from the PJ’s branch in Faro have been assisting their colleagues from Scotland Yard in the ambit of an international co-operation request based on the issuing of rogatory letters and international letters of request.
Reports late last year indicated that the PJ Police, perhaps as a result of headway made following a Crimewatch programme on the BBC, felt they had enough new evidence to initiate an official line of enquiry that could include the questioning of persons of interest and possible suspects.
It is believed the PJ team in Oporto uncovered shortcomings in the initial investigation conducted by their counterparts in the Algarve and were now actively pursuing the theory that Madeleine McCann was abducted from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.
Helena Monteiro and her four-man team of detectives, who were reportedly handed the case due to their expertise and neutrality, having never worked on it before, are also reported to be keen on speaking to a number of people who were never questioned during the first investigation led by inspectors in the Algarve.
At the time, sources close to the case in Portugal told The Portugal News that they support the Portuguese review in that they hope it will conclude “an investigation which was ended while still in its infancy.”
PJ police in Lisbon recently stressed in comments to The Portugal News that at this stage of the review, the PJ branches in Oporto and Faro are “working independently.

http://theportugalnews.com/news/new-turn-in-madeleine-case/30497#.UurEg1Whd88.twitter

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1651 on: January 31, 2014, 01:51:20 AM »
Has anyone tonight  seen a quote in news with "They are not just burglars - the situation is a bit more complicated"

I am sure I have seen this somewhere and would like to understand it better but now not available..

Searched a little but didn't find those exact words, VIXTE...sounds interesting though...

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1652 on: January 31, 2014, 01:55:01 AM »
Searched a little but didn't find those exact words, VIXTE...sounds interesting though...

I found it.. it was Martin Brunt .. speaking tonight.. nothing new.. just his wording..

http://www.onenewspage.us/video/20140130/1599230/British-detectives-want-to-speak-to-three-Ocean.htm

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1653 on: January 31, 2014, 02:00:05 AM »
Also this, from The Mirror, just in:

Ex-pat property-owner on McCanns block says he and 90% of his neighbours have been burgled... and that Scotland Yard have been looking into these burglaries for the past 18 months. (My words)

(What about the Crimewatch and Smithman in this context, eh?):

Madeleine McCann cops want to raid homes of three prime suspects who were working at holiday complex
Jan 31, 2014 00:00 By David Collins

British officers believe the men would have known the layout of the Ocean Club at Praia da Luz and been aware of the best escape routes for anyone taking a child

Police hunting for missing Madeleine McCann want to raid the homes of three prime suspects and examine their bank accounts in the hunt for clues into her disappearance.

British officers plan to quiz the trio , who were working at the holiday complex in Portugal where the three-year-old was snatched from her bed.

They hope to look at their bank records to see if any large sums of money were placed in their accounts – which could indicate payment for a crime.

The three men would have known the layout of the Ocean Club complex at Praia da Luz and been aware of the best escape routes for anyone taking a child.

It would also have been possible for them to watch the movements of Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry’s on the night their daughter went missing in May 2007 as they ate tapas with friends near their ­apartment.

Detectives believe the suspects were behind a string of burglaries in the area in the weeks before the youngster vanished.

One of the flats burgled at the Ocean Club is owned by a former British expat. It is in the same block as the one the McCanns rented.

The man, who is in his 50s and wishes to remain anonymous, said yesterday: “They’d taken two mobile phones, a camera and some cash. There was no sign of forced entry.

"I was convinced they had a key to get inside. I spoke to my neighbours, many of them expats, and I’d say around 90% of them had experienced the same thing… valuable items going missing out of their ­apartments.

“I brought these complaints to the ­attention of the Ocean Club but they were pretty much ignored. Nothing was done.

“This was about four weeks before Maddie went missing.”

The expat was interviewed 18 months ago by Scotland Yard detectives – meaning officers have long suspected burglars could be ­responsible for Madeleine’s kidnap.

One theory is that burglars raided the McCanns’ apartment and were panicked into snatching her when she woke up.

Nelson Rodrigues, who worked as a barman at the Ocean Club at the time the child, from Rothley, Leics, vanished, said it was “possible” former workers had ­something to do with the kidnap.

But he added: “In my opinion, it’s not likely.

“I don’t know what happened to her that night, but I would be very surprised if any of the workers had anything to do with it.

“There were quite a few staff who had access to keys.

"Reception staff, the cleaners, and the maintenance men could all get into rooms. Waiters and barmen did not have access to keys.

“I remember at the time things belonging to guests went missing now and then.

"Mobile phones, cash, anything valuable lying around.”

Reports in local media said the Ocean Club had around 130 Portuguese employees and 30 British staff when Madeleine went missing.

Nelson also told how he joined the frantic hunt for Madeleine when her parents raised the alarm.

He added: “I looked ­everywhere for her. Around the pool, inside apartments, in the streets.

"I kept looking until five in the morning, when my boss said, ‘OK, it’s time for you to go home’.

“I saw Kate. She looked very upset. I heard her say, ‘I need a priest’.”

Scotland Yard officers flew to Faro in Portugal this week to meet with local police where they discussed the probe into the three ex-staff who are now suspects.

British police first became suspicious of the staff after analysing mobile phone data

They discovered a high number of calls made by the three men in the hours leading up to Madeleine’s disappearance.

Operation Grange, set up to reopen the case, has sent a second International Letter of Request to their ­Portuguese ­counterparts which addresses developments in the probe

It deals with issues surrounding formal questioning of the men as well as searching their homes and looking into their bank accounts.

The letter is now being dealt with by a court in the Algarve resort of Portimao. The Policia Judiciaria, the Portuguese force investigating Madeleine's disappearance, and the Attorney General refused to comment on the content of ­Tuesday’s meeting with Scotland Yard.

A Policia Judiciaria spokesman said last night: “The PJ confirms a meeting has taken place in Faro between British and ­Portuguese authorities within the ­framework of the ­execution of an ­International Letter of Request.”

And the force’s director Almeida Rodrigues added: “We cannot say anything else because when we co-operate with our British colleagues we are bound by ­professional secrecy.”

The Scotland Yard team have now flown back to London.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-suspects-cops-want-3095609

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-suspects-cops-want-3095609#ixzz2rwAanZyL
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:02:11 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Lyall

« Reply #1654 on: January 31, 2014, 02:02:28 AM »
Brunty spoke to 90% man too 8)-)))

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1655 on: January 31, 2014, 02:06:15 AM »
^^^^^^

The Mirror article is just a copy from an SKY video from Martin Brunt that was shown  on Sky News.

An OC guy, "quite good looking" was speaking to M Brunt.. plus that journo based in PDL who was once mixed with Murat..

Martin Brunt in PDL did lots of digging out this time..

I think now lots of stories will emerge in PDL.. a good time to be there..

Former Ocean Club employee Nelson Rodrigues speaks to Sky's Martin Brunt.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:59:43 PM by John »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1656 on: January 31, 2014, 02:09:25 AM »
I found it.. it was Martin Brunt .. speaking tonight.. nothing new.. just his wording..

http://www.onenewspage.us/video/20140130/1599230/British-detectives-want-to-speak-to-three-Ocean.htm

Brunty references this 90% figure and also notes that Portuguese authorities are yet to decide on whether they will accede to the request of SY for bank accounts and other information relating to the suspects to be investigated. SY have now left Portugal nonetheless.

Also note that the term 'burglar' as we discussed before at length on this and other threads, is, as Martin Brunt says, being used rather loosely.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1657 on: January 31, 2014, 02:10:43 AM »
Brunty spoke to 90% man too 8)-)))

Yes. 'Quite good looking'.

What does that mean?

Lyall

« Reply #1658 on: January 31, 2014, 02:16:29 AM »
By a day of reckoning, I don't mean a formal process of any kind.

I mean that there will come a time when Scotland Yard's investigation will be brought to a conclusion - whatever that may mean - and at that point, people will expect some sort of explanation as to why the investigation has ended at that point and what has been done with resources hitherto.

I cannot imagine their being no public discussion on the costs and findings of this case after the fact. There has been so much interest and discussion hitherto, it is hard to imagine it all coming to an abrupt halt just because Scotland Yard bow out.

In the event of Scotland Yard presenting any conclusive findings, that will beg questions of all types.

I wish I had your faith but I don't think there has been much discussion really, not in the press anyway. I can see however this ends it will be in a blaze of spin (like in 2008 with the shelving of the first investigation) and then few if any will ask any questions.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1659 on: January 31, 2014, 02:18:04 AM »

What does that mean?

I thought it was someone famous when I looked at TV, but it was a OC worker.. it is now on..

Lyall

« Reply #1660 on: January 31, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »

What does that mean?

I think that Vixte's description, not Brunty's? 8)--))

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1661 on: January 31, 2014, 02:19:35 AM »
I think that Vixte's description, not Brunty's? 8)--))
@)(++(* @)(++(*

That's right.. just explained.. I thought it was a footballer or something..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1662 on: January 31, 2014, 02:21:20 AM »
I wish I had your faith but I don't think there has been much discussion really, not in the press anyway. I can see however this ends it will be in a blaze of spin (like in 2008 with the shelving of the first investigation) and then few if any will ask any questions.

I see.. I wasn't following the case then - only  became interested recently - but is that time really a comparison?

Things are different now in that by the time SY winds up their investigation, just about everything that could have been done with regard to investigating will have been attempted. No-one will have any money left for anything. McCanns will find it hard to raise more monies of SY have drawn blanks.

So at the time a line was drawn, I think there will be a certain taking stock.

A line was not drawn in 2008 - as far as the McCanns were concerned, anyway - and it is mainly because of that that SY are now involved.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1663 on: January 31, 2014, 02:21:47 AM »
Brunty references this 90% figure and also notes that Portuguese authorities are yet to decide on whether they will accede to the request of SY for bank accounts and other information relating to the suspects to be investigated. SY have now left Portugal nonetheless.

Also note that the term 'burglar' as we discussed before at length on this and other threads, is, as Martin Brunt says, being used rather loosely.

Also, from Portugal News article it seems SY cannot sit at the questioning session.. they did not make a formal request for this..

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1664 on: January 31, 2014, 02:28:22 AM »
@)(++(* @)(++(*

That's right.. just explained.. I thought it was a footballer or something..

It's good to know one way or the other..

Don't get the British channels so easily over here across the pond..