Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364636 times)

Redblossom

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #2220 on: February 13, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »
The other papers probably won't bother mentioning Davenport's article, or what DAC Hewitt says.

When Davenport spoke to Hamish Campbell (article published the day he retired) the rest of the papers unashamedly spun what Campbell said didn't they: Campbell's 'persons of interest' became Suspects, and Suspects they have been ever since.

No, I meant if the police were encouraging the stories, as you say,  won't they look silly now?

Redblossom

« Reply #2221 on: February 13, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »
Another annoying and misleading article, which claims in its headline that the investigation is moving apace, but goes on to describe something quite different.

It's also important to note that Portuguese authorities seem in no rush to make arrests. They are at liberty to arrest people without letters of request or consultation with SY, yet do not appear to be close to doing so.

Well you need strong suspicion of a crime (in this case abduction of a child) and/or evidence to arrest someone, so probably  none has been found so far

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2222 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »
No, I meant if the police were encouraging the stories, as you say,  won't they look silly now?

They would.

I still don't believe that SY and others are using the tabloid press to help them catch criminals. Would hope they have far more sophisticated and reliable techniques than that.

And as for the idea of creating a ring of fear around certain suspects, that could have dangerous, unpredictable, and counterproductive effects for all concerned. Not a strategy.

Lyall

« Reply #2223 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »

Maybe but only for a day? They've had six weeks of dramatic front page PR >@@(*&)

Redblossom

« Reply #2224 on: February 13, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »
Maybe but only for a day? They've had six weeks of dramatic front page PR >@@(*&)

Well, judging from some of the public's comments in the endless articles I'd say the PR wasn't that great

@)(++(*

They would.

I still don't believe that SY and others are using the tabloid press to help them catch criminals. Would hope they have far more sophisticated and reliable techniques than that.

And as for the idea of creating a ring of fear around certain suspects, that could have dangerous, unpredictable, and counterproductive effects for all concerned. Not a strategy.

Tend to agree with this. the strategy is normally not to let on to suspects that they are such

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2225 on: February 13, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »
Is that why the PJ were asked to find 'new evidence'  ?

Well they must already have found some new evidence, because they have officially reopened the case.

(They story was that that evidence was tractorman, but that's pretty hard to believe).

Lyall

« Reply #2226 on: February 13, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »
Well, judging from some of the public's comments in the endless articles I'd say the PR wasn't that great

@)(++(*

Tend to agree with this. the strategy is normally not to let on to suspects that they are such

They've had six weeks of the news channels hyping imminent arrests too (Brunty included).

DAC Hewitt's comments won't be on the news will they. Most people will not hear them.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2227 on: February 13, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
They've had six weeks of the news channels hyping imminent arrests too (Brunty included).

DAC Hewitt's comments won't be on the news will they. Most people will not hear them.

Shouldn't think so, particularly while the storms and floods dominate the news.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2228 on: February 13, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
Just want to thank Red for linking those Met Police updates.

The update from 25th April 2012, in connection with the release of the age-progressed picture of Madeleine, contains the following:

The release comes as detectives announce that as a result of evidence uncovered during the review they now believe there is a possibility Madeleine is still alive and are appealing for anyone who is able to provide direct information as to her whereabouts to contact the team.

http://content.met.police.uk/News/Detectives-believe-there-is-a-possibility-that-Madeleine-McCann-is-still-alive/1400008147005/1257246745756

Obviously there is no hint as to what that evidence may be or who may have uncovered it, but the evidence appears to have been there.

The phrase 'evidence uncovered' strongly implies that concrete information is involved, not merely that something has been ruled out. That would not be enough legally or otherwise to open an investigation.

Lyall

« Reply #2229 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »
Tomorrow's Express front page is yet another masterpiece of inaccuracy and insult.

"British police... are stepping up pressure on their Portuguese counterparts"

8-)(--) Ok.

Redblossom

« Reply #2230 on: February 13, 2014, 11:22:02 PM »
yawn time again then

Cheers Lyall

8((()*/

and gnite

Eta just seen the express front page, you can see it on sky news page/Fridays headlines, "police close in on three suspects"

8-)(--)

Here we go again, rubbish garbage and more garbage

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:28:29 PM by Redblossom »

Lyall

« Reply #2231 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26:49 PM »
8(0(* It is the Express though, so nobody takes it seriously.

Nite, Red.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2232 on: February 13, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
Oh, no.

It is terrible that the investigation is being trivialised in this way.

Lyall

« Reply #2233 on: February 13, 2014, 11:29:30 PM »

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #2234 on: February 14, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »

Police chiefs link three burglars to Maddie disappearance

By Jerry Lawton/Published 14th February 2014

BRITISH detectives hunting Madeleine McCann have urged Portuguese police to catch three “prime suspect” burglars.

Scotland Yard officers want to quiz the trio after spending months probing the thieves’ mobile phone data.

It shows the raiders were close to the holiday apartment at Praia da Luz where Maddie, then three, was abducted in May 2007.

The burglary gang, who were operating in the Algarve resort in the days up to Madeleine’s disappearance, are now the main focus of the Scotland Yard investigation.

But the probe has been delayed by international red tape. Every time officers want to follow up a new lead they have to ask the Crown Prosecution Service to write to their Portuguese counterparts, who then pass the request to local police.

Yesterday it was revealed a third letter has been sent asking for ­further inquiries into the raiders who are still at large.

Met Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Martin Hewitt told the Daily Star: “The investigative tempo is moving forward. Investigative activity is increasing.”

Last night Det Chief Insp Andy Redwood, who is heading the UK hunt for Madeleine, was in Portugal meeting senior officers.

A spokesman for Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry, 45, from Rothley, Leics, said sending the letters was a significant development.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/365400/Police-chiefs-link-three-burglars-to-2007-disappearance-of-young-Madeleine-McCann
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.