Author Topic: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies - ITV1  (Read 29120 times)

Alfred R Jones

The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies - ITV1
« on: December 11, 2014, 11:27:43 PM »
Did anyone watch the Christopher Jeffries docu-drama?  Excellent IMO, and the McCanns and Murat treatment by the press was (unsurprisingly) mentioned, albeit briefly.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-lost-honour-of-christopher-jefferies-part-2-tv-review-an-impressive-drama-but-joanna-yeates-story-still-wasnt-properly-told-9919435.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:26:00 AM by Admin »

Offline Carana

Re: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies - ITV1
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »
Did anyone watch the Christopher Jeffries docu-drama?  Excellent IMO, and the McCanns and Murat treatment by the press was (unsurprisingly) mentioned, albeit briefly.

Yes. Very well done.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:18:58 AM by Admin »

Offline Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-lost-honour-of-christopher-jefferies-part-2-tv-review-an-impressive-drama-but-joanna-yeates-story-still-wasnt-properly-told-9919435.html

I made a point of watching both episodes and well worth it too.  The conduct of the media was despicable as was expected.  One point I will make is that those sued did not include Sky News whose own behaviour in doorstepping Mr Jeffries in the way they did was also questionable verging on harassment.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
I made a point of watching both episodes and well worth it too.  The conduct of the media was despicable as was expected.  One point I will make is that those sued did not include Sky News whose own behaviour in doorstepping Mr Jeffries in the way they did was also questionable verging on harassment.

Requesting someone's view on live TV may be unpleasant, but it doesn't constitute harrassment (unless it's sustained). The unfounded allegations in the press were libellous and no doubt soul-destroying.

Offline jassi

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
Requesting someone's view on live TV may be unpleasant, but it doesn't constitute harrassment (unless it's sustained). The unfounded allegations in the press were libellous and no doubt soul-destroying.

I don't suppose he was too pleased with the way the police treated him, either - arrested, DNA'd and house torn to pieces, all without any evidence to support such actions.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »
I don't suppose he was too pleased with the way the police treated him, either - arrested, DNA'd and house torn to pieces, all without any evidence to support such actions.

Searches need to be done, obviously, but I've often wondered about how awful that must feel. All your belongings upside down, and no doubt a feeling of violation of your private life. Similar to being burgled, I would think.

Offline Carana

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
Apparently there was an interview with Jefferies and the actor who played his part. If anyone has a link, I'd be interested in watching it.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »

Excellent drama.

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
Excellent drama.

Indeed. However, it did make me think that those who knew and loved Jo would find it a distressing reminder. They didn't have to watch it, of course, but it would be hard to miss the publicity leading up to it.

I found that the tragedy at the heart of it was handled as sensitively as possible.

What wasn't even alluded to was the enormous amount of speculation on social media triggered by the press allegations, but which was in at least one forum used to channel attention towards a different case...

Offline Admin

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »

I distinctly remember the Sky reporter ambushing Christopher Jefferies as he came out of his house.  He was more or less accusing him of having been involved in Joanne's disappearance which at the time left me feeling that they must know something otherwise why be so aggressive.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:23:11 PM »
Indeed. However, it did make me think that those who knew and loved Jo would find it a distressing reminder. They didn't have to watch it, of course, but it would be hard to miss the publicity leading up to it.

I found that the tragedy at the heart of it was handled as sensitively as possible.

What wasn't even alluded to was the enormous amount of speculation on social media triggered by the press allegations, but which was in at least one forum used to channel attention towards a different case...

There is a saying that all road lead to Rome.  Unfortunately some people are so obsessed with vitriolic feelings against Madeleine McCann's parents that whenever a horrific crime is committed they feel duty bound to add it to the lexicon.

I missed the second part of the drama but will catch up on it later.  What a hellish time Mr Jeffries had of it;  I can think of few things more devastating than being thought of as the perpetrator of such a horrendous crime.  The best that can be said about his ordeal is that the real murderer was unmasked and all suspicion about him totally wiped out as a result.
The actor's portrayal of of the horror, confusion and absolute despair suffered by Mr Jeffries was powerful and I felt quite distressed by it.

You are perfectly correct about the effect the programme must have had on the people who loved Jo, Carana. 

The local press reprised a double murder in my area with a double page spread.  Unfortunately no-one stopped to think before going to press, that although the murders had taken place many years before, there were still many friends and very close relations who should have been informed but weren't.  The effect on them was devastating.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »
I distinctly remember the Sky reporter ambushing Christopher Jefferies as he came out of his house.  He was more or less accusing him of having been involved in Joanne's disappearance which at the time left me feeling that they must know something otherwise why be so aggressive.

Was that "feeling" solely related to the door-stepping, or was it also influenced by tabloid reports appearing at that time? In the face of such a crime, it's not difficult to build up a personal conviction, but which is based on subliminal input.

We're all human, but the tabloids are still supposed to adhere to a code of ethics and don't have that excuse.

A point that was alluded to towards the end was that the boyfriend urged the media not to come to preconceived conclusions, and included the landlord in that.

In a press conference, and in answer to a question, the police had stated that the boyfriend wasn't a suspect, but they didn't say the same of the landlord (either because no specific question had been asked, or because they didn't know at that point).

Again, the speculation on social media was, if anything, worse than what the tabloids actually printed, and that is not a point raised in the docudrama.

Offline Myster

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »
Apparently there was an interview with Jefferies and the actor who played his part. If anyone has a link, I'd be interested in watching it.
I read somewhere that Jo's parents were in agreement with the making of the program, although they declined to take part, but not sure if Mr. Jefferies was involved at all.

Can only find interviews with Chris Jefferies concerning his wrongful arrest rather than his verdict on the drama-doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFgGbNtF0wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZnfi5oM5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS_zf_kZ6k

Is there room for yet another miscarriage of justice on here, as someone believes they got the wrong man in Vincent Tabak.

Read the comment by Philip Hollingbery...

and... http://vincent-tabak-is-innocent.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/jury.html

It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Admin

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 01:56:38 PM »
Was that" solely related to the door-stepping, or was it also influenced by tabloid reports appearing at that time? In the face of such a crime, it's not difficult to build up a personal conviction, but which is based on subliminal input.

We're all human, but the tabloids are still supposed to adhere to a code of ethics and don't have that excuse.

A point that was alluded to towards the end was that the boyfriend urged the media not to come to preconceived conclusions, and included the landlord in that.

In a press conference, and in answer to a question, the police had stated that the boyfriend wasn't a suspect, but they didn't say the same of the landlord (either because no specific question had been asked, or because they didn't know at that point).

Again, the speculation on social media was, if anything, worse than what the tabloids actually printed, and that is not a point raised in the docudrama.

I was extremely perturbed at the aggressive behaviour of the Sky News reporter, an attitude which I have seen repeated more recently in another case.  Isn't it ironic that Sky sponsored the ITV docudrama?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 01:57:08 PM »
Was that "feeling" solely related to the door-stepping, or was it also influenced by tabloid reports appearing at that time? In the face of such a crime, it's not difficult to build up a personal conviction, but which is based on subliminal input.

From what I recall of the online speculation that I saw on places like Tony Bennett's forum the large majority of it was directed not at Chris Jeffries at all but ludicrously at Jo's boyfriend and father.  Yes, many of the McCann doubters jumped to the completely erroneous conclusion that one or both of them dunnit.