Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 529105 times)

Offline G-Unit

Copying a cite from Brietta... from quite some time ago...

"The Judiciary Police (PJ) reopened the investigation concerning the disappearance of Madeleine McCann and they guarantee that this time the parents of the girl who disappeared in Praia da Luz, Algarve, days before her fourth birthday, on May 3, 2007, are not suspects."
DN 25 October 2013

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/10/pj-creates-new-team-to-investigate.html

Rumour?

You tell me. It's not a direct quote and doesn't appear in any of the official releases.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

"The Judiciary Police (PJ) reopened the investigation concerning the disappearance of Madeleine McCann and they guarantee that this time the parents of the girl who disappeared in Praia da Luz, Algarve, days before her fourth birthday, on May 3, 2007, are not suspects."
DN 25 October 2013

http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2013/10/pj-creates-new-team-to-investigate.html

Rumour?

McCann não são suspeitos na nova investigação sobre desaparecimento da filha

McCann are not suspects in the new investigation into his daughter's disappearance

O Ministério Público determinou a reabertura do inquérito sobre o desaparecimento da menina inglesa. A RTP sabe que os pais de Maddie McCann não são considerados suspeitos na nova linha de investigação do caso. A decisão é uma consequência da proposta da Polícia Judiciária e da apresentação de novos indícios que justificam que a investigação prossiga.
The prosecutor ordered the reopening of the investigation into the disappearance of British girl . RTP know that the parents of Maddie McCann are not considered suspects in the new line of investigation into the case . The decision is a consequence of the proposal of the Judicial Police and the introduction of new evidence justifying the investigation continues.
http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/mundo/mccann-nao-sao-suspeitos-na-nova-investigacao-sobre-desaparecimento-da-filha_v690593

**Snip
"The information that was published today by London's Metropolitan Police matches the investigation line that was discovered by the PJ team led by Dr. Helena Monteiro, which was the basis for the request to reopen the inquiry", a PJ source that is connected to this case's investigation told PÚBLICO. And added: "That investigation line was opportunely and simultaneously presented to the Metropolitan Police and to Madeleine McCann's parents, during a meeting last October, at the PJ's headquarters in Lisbon."
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/press/83march14/Publico_19_03_2014.htm

I'm not sure what I'm missing here, Carana.  If Madeleine's parents were not cleared of involvement in her disappearance, why are both SY and the PJ following other lines of inquiry? (I do know that there are those who await the "catchee monkey scenario" with bated breath)

Robert Murat was released from being a suspect in the original investigation into Madeleine's case for the very simple reason there was no evidence which indicated or confirmed his involvement.
Which is exactly the circumstance with the McCanns.

The same insinuations are not posted about Robert Murat that are posted about the McCanns for the simple reason they would not be allowed because they are libellous.

As well as being cleared by the Portuguese Attorney General, Madeleine's parents are not, nor were they ever considered suspects by the Portuguese when the investigation was reopened.

The fact that Scotland Yard and the Policia Judicairia met with Madeleine's parents in Lisbon to discuss her case would confirm that for most people.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

McCann não são suspeitos na nova investigação sobre desaparecimento da filha

McCann are not suspects in the new investigation into his daughter's disappearance

O Ministério Público determinou a reabertura do inquérito sobre o desaparecimento da menina inglesa. A RTP sabe que os pais de Maddie McCann não são considerados suspeitos na nova linha de investigação do caso. A decisão é uma consequência da proposta da Polícia Judiciária e da apresentação de novos indícios que justificam que a investigação prossiga.
The prosecutor ordered the reopening of the investigation into the disappearance of British girl . RTP know that the parents of Maddie McCann are not considered suspects in the new line of investigation into the case . The decision is a consequence of the proposal of the Judicial Police and the introduction of new evidence justifying the investigation continues.
http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/mundo/mccann-nao-sao-suspeitos-na-nova-investigacao-sobre-desaparecimento-da-filha_v690593

**Snip
"The information that was published today by London's Metropolitan Police matches the investigation line that was discovered by the PJ team led by Dr. Helena Monteiro, which was the basis for the request to reopen the inquiry", a PJ source that is connected to this case's investigation told PÚBLICO. And added: "That investigation line was opportunely and simultaneously presented to the Metropolitan Police and to Madeleine McCann's parents, during a meeting last October, at the PJ's headquarters in Lisbon."
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/press/83march14/Publico_19_03_2014.htm

I'm not sure what I'm missing here, Carana.  If Madeleine's parents were not cleared of involvement in her disappearance, why are both SY and the PJ following other lines of inquiry? (I do know that there are those who await the "catchee monkey scenario" with bated breath)

Robert Murat was released from being a suspect in the original investigation into Madeleine's case for the very simple reason there was no evidence which indicated or confirmed his involvement.
Which is exactly the circumstance with the McCanns.

The same insinuations are not posted about Robert Murat that are posted about the McCanns for the simple reason they would not be allowed because they are libellous.

As well as being cleared by the Portuguese Attorney General, Madeleine's parents are not, nor were they ever considered suspects by the Portuguese when the investigation was reopened.

The fact that Scotland Yard and the Policia Judicairia met with Madeleine's parents in Lisbon to discuss her case would confirm that for most people.

No idea, Brietta.

I posted links a couple of weeks ago to some PT former high-ranking judicial turned tabloid TV couch pundit who'd once said that the McCanns ought to have their arguido status reinstated automatically when the PT investigation reopened.

No one has yet been able to explain why that should be unless the reasons for reopening it had included new or newly discovered evidence against them. Which doesn't appear to be the case.

His name escapes me for the moment. Probably just as well.

ferryman

No idea, Brietta.

I posted links a couple of weeks ago to some PT former high-ranking judicial turned tabloid TV couch pundit who'd once said that the McCanns ought to have their arguido status reinstated automatically when the PT investigation reopened.

No one has yet been able to explain why that should be unless the reasons for reopening it had included new or newly discovered evidence against them. Which doesn't appear to be the case.

His name escapes me for the moment. Probably just as well.

I think that, by the Portuguese penal code as it was once couched, it was indeed the case that where a case was shelved (without conclusion or result) then re-opened, any arguidos (from the shelved enquiry) would have their statuses re-imposed (irrespective of the merit of any evidence against them). 

I have an idea that, further back than that, if an investigation was closed without being solved, any arguidos (declared during the course of the investigation) would simply never have their arguido statuses lifted.

But time moves on and regulations governing police practices change (mostly) improve.

Offline pathfinder73

DN 25 October 2013

Rumour?

The PJ said the same in August 2007. SY haven't told us what their one line of inquiry is.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline mercury

It was just a rumour that the PT authorities had cleared the McCanns, the same as the rumout that they weren't investigating them in their reopened investigation. I have asked for cites for the second statement and got one newspaper article.

I think its possible the situation is confused.
Translation of actual meanings notwithstandng as far as I read there is no blanket statement that the Mccanns are not suspect, but the statement was made in relation to particular lines of inquiry
If this were not correct then the latest PT documentary man wouldnt be saying from the beginning of the reopened investigation in PT all scenarios were on the table
Some of the articles from the time, and tv programmes
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id466.html

And of course this is a million miles away from not suspected or cleared etc

The exact same situation applied IMO when Redwood said they were not suspects when he was talking in context of his 40 persons of interest in his particular line of inquiry at the time

Nothng is categorically stated officially on this issue, but people take liberties to interpret what people have said outwith context, then of course we have what police either side have not divulged

Ps PF I got the subtitles now, had to click some arrow on my ipad

Offline Carana

I think that, by the Portuguese penal code as it was once couched, it was indeed the case that where a case was shelved (without conclusion or result) then re-opened, any arguidos (from the shelved enquiry) would have their statuses re-imposed (irrespective of the merit of any evidence against them). 

I have an idea that, further back than that, if an investigation was closed without being solved, any arguidos (declared during the course of the investigation) would simply never have their arguido statuses lifted.

But time moves on and regulations governing police practices change (mostly) improve.

I haven't found anything in the penal code that states that any former arguidos would have that status automatically reinstated should the investigation be reopened.

Of course it would if new evidence had come to light against them... but the PT authorities stated (in a rare press release) that that wasn't the case.

Offline mercury

I haven't found anything in the penal code that states that any former arguidos would have that status automatically reinstated should the investigation be reopened.

Of course it would if new evidence had come to light against them... but the PT authorities stated (in a rare press release) that that wasn't the case.

Not being an arguido does not mean you are not being investigated or could be investigated which was the point being made, vis a vis that video PF posted where the presented said that since the reopening all scenarios were being investigated including accidental death

Unless you have some cite that states the parents were not being investigated at all after the reopening whch contradicts what the presenter said

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Not being an arguido does not mean you are not being investigated or could be investigated which was the point being made, vis a vis that video PF posted where the presented said that since the reopening all scenarios were being investigated including accidental death

Unless you have some cite that states the parents were not being investigated at all after the reopening whch contradicts what the presenter said

No one knows what has happened to little Maddie- so I doubt very much if the parents have been completely ruled out of all the scenarios presented to the PJ/SY. It is an open investigation,everything is on the table.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin