Author Topic: Mavis Southgate  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Mavis Southgate
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
Not a familiar case related name but she was in fact MM's alibi for the night/morning of 6th/7th Aug.  

At the time of the tragedies MM was married to a nurse who worked nights.  On the nights she worked MM took the opportunity to play away from home.  MM spent the night of the tragedies at the home of his part-time lover Mavis Southgate (MS).  Other occupants included MS's daughter and sister who were able to corroborate MM's alibi.  EP spoke with MS but there's no evidence she was interviewed under caution and/or had her home searched.

MM had a second part-time lover, Christine Bacon (CB) who was also mother to his young son.  CB was good friends with JB's former girlfriend Suzette Ford. 

EP knocked up CB at dawn to interview her under caution.  Her home was searched which I assume was on the back of a warrant.  She was also held in custody overnight.  A frightening experience I would imagine for the mother of a young son, and the young son, especially if no childcare arrangements were in place.

Given CB wasn't MM's alibi and as far as I can see had no involvement with the tragedies I'm struggling to understand why the police took what appears to be a heavy handed approach to this witness whose connection to JB/tragedies seems tenuous to say the least?

Why did the police adopt this approach with this witness?  
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Re: Mavis Southgate
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 08:00:51 PM »
Any answers in relation to Holly’s question?

Does anyone know of a statement by either Mavis or Christine?

Offline Myster

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 06:53:34 AM »
Any answers in relation to Holly’s question?

Does anyone know of a statement by either Mavis or Christine?
Better email CAL, as she'll know more than anyone and might have access.  There's a cite for a w/s given by Christine Bacon on 10th Sept '85, but no mention at all of Mavis Southgate, in her TMAWHF book.

Failing that you could try the cranky forum.

Why do you ask?
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 12:13:39 PM »
How do I email CAL?
And what do you mean by the cranky forum?

Offline Myster

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 12:54:46 PM »
How do I email CAL?
And what do you mean by the cranky forum?
She used to be on Twitter, but I think her account was closed due to abuse from the JBCT, and so is difficult to contact now.  You could try going through her current literary agent...

https://www.robertsmithliteraryagency.com/category/authors/carol-ann-lee/

You must have viewed this forum before, surely?... https://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 02:13:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. No, I’m late to these forums, though followed this case very closely since the beginning.
But I will have a look at that forum, in case there’s any info on there.
I assumed that because Mavis was MM’s alibi she would have been interviewed and a statement would have been taken from her. I was aware of CB’s arrest and the existence of a statement but have never read it.

Offline colsville

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 02:24:06 PM »
There is no mention of Mavis Southgate in CAL's book (As far as I can tell).  Several mentions (11) of Christine Bacon.

I cannot imagine that CAL would bother rooting through her notes, which she would have made over a 4 or 5 year period, looking for a persons name that didn't make it into her book.

Also, she received a huge amount of relentless trolling and general thuggery from Jeremy Bamber supporters at the time, and probably still does.  So I doubt if she would want to communicate with any member of the public regarding this subject.  And I can't say I blame her.

But I searched for 'Mavis Southgate' in the book, and got zero results.

Not sure why this piece of the jigsaw is in any way relevant.  Sounds like a total red herring to me.

Offline colsville

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 02:46:20 PM »
All I'm getting from reading CAL's book for entries concerning Matthew
McDonald, Sue Ford and Christine Bacon is how low-life and s...ky everyone is.

Everyone is serially cheating on everyone else, with Jeremy at the centre of things,  trying to be puppetmaster, but being cheated on himself, and flying into rages.

His life, and everyone else's life around him, was a total mess during that period.  And the person that connects them all is Jeremy Bamber himself.

I think when Bamber went to prison, the spell was broken, and everyone just got on with their lives, free of that crazy monster.

Offline colsville

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 05:02:13 PM »
Did a search for 'Mavis Southgate Bamber' in Google and the only hit was from this website 2 years ago.

That reference was also made by Holly Goodhead, who is the OP for this thread too. 

Apart from that, nothing on Google search.

Went to the CT Website and put 'Mavis Southgate' into their search facility, but it came back blank.

Did the following 'advanced'  searches in Google:

Mavis Southgate site:https://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/

Mavis Southgate site:https://www.jeremy-bamber.co.uk/

Both searches came back with nothing.

So I can't find any mention of Mavis Southgate on the blue forum.

and I can't find any  mention of Mavis Southgate on Jeremy Bamber's official campaign website.

The only mention on the whole of the internet of the existence of this woman is from this forum 2 years ago, and it's from the same OP, who was making the same comment.

She may be mentioned in a witness statement somewhere, which can't be indexed by search engines, but I personally can't find any reference at all to this individual.

Does she even exist?

Offline Myster

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 05:57:04 PM »
Did a search for 'Mavis Southgate Bamber' in Google and the only hit was from this website 2 years ago.

That reference was also made by Holly Goodhead, who is the OP for this thread too. 

Apart from that, nothing on Google search.

Went to the CT Website and put 'Mavis Southgate' into their search facility, but it came back blank.

Did the following 'advanced'  searches in Google:

Mavis Southgate site:https://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/

Mavis Southgate site:https://www.jeremy-bamber.co.uk/

Both searches came back with nothing.

So I can't find any mention of Mavis Southgate on the blue forum.

and I can't find any  mention of Mavis Southgate on Jeremy Bamber's official campaign website.

The only mention on the whole of the internet of the existence of this woman is from this forum 2 years ago, and it's from the same OP, who was making the same comment.

She may be mentioned in a witness statement somewhere, which can't be indexed by search engines, but I personally can't find any reference at all to this individual.

Does she even exist?
Oh, Mavis existed alright... in Matthew McDonald's police interview on 10th Sept '85.

Apparently she was/is Indian with Ghandi (sic) as her surname...

Pages 15 and 16 here... https://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=1057.0

She might appear amongst other pages of his interviews, but hardly worth the bother of wading through them all for little purpose.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 09:03:06 AM »
The reason I asked about witness statements from CB and MS was in response to Holly’s question about why EP took such a heavy-handed approach with CB (given that she wasn’t MM’s alibi) How does Holly know details about what happened to CB?

It appears that a witness statement wasn’t taken from MS.

We know that MM’s involvement is a red herring; however the account given by JB to JM about what MM told him is interesting to me- details about how NB and SC were killed.
Having read CAL’s book and CC’s book, I still can’t fathom why MM was dragged in to JB’s story and the ripple effect on other innocent bystanders. In CC’s book MM is not mentioned by name, but he is maligned as being a serial adulterer. CC even goes so far to say he was being unfaithful with TWO women on that night.
Like, why all the sleaze?

Im just interested in this little ‘sidebar’ and why it features…

Offline colsville

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 10:08:46 AM »
The reason I asked about witness statements from CB and MS was in response to Holly’s question about why EP took such a heavy-handed approach with CB (given that she wasn’t MM’s alibi) How does Holly know details about what happened to CB?

It appears that a witness statement wasn’t taken from MS.

We don't know if the Police treated CB in a heavy handed way.  That assessment is one persons opinion of something that they were not witness to.

CB was almost certainly treated in line with the procedures of the day, which will almost certainly be very similar to the procedures of today.

As far as I'm aware it is not publicly known if Mavis Southgate was interviewed or not.  Given that she was MM's alibi, then of course she would have been interviewed.  We have no idea if she was treated the same, or differently to CB.  I would guess that she was treated roughly the same.

People seem to think that documents like witness statements and photos have been officially released.  But this isn't true.  It has all been illegally leaked via dodgy and naïve lawyers, via the campaign team and other individuals. 

Given that there is no mention of Mavis Southgate on the blue forum, or on the campaign teams official website, well, that indicates that Bamber and his legal team and his supporters have been unable to concoct a conspiracy theory, or a lie, or a set of lies, out of her paperwork, and therefore haven't released any of it.

Just because there is no paperwork for MS on the public internet, doesn't mean that she wasn't interviewed or didn't give a statement.  And it doesn't mean she didn't get her house searched either.  It just means that Jeremy Bamber hasn't illegally released the paperwork for her.