Author Topic: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?  (Read 91223 times)

Alfie

Re: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
Sarah Champion has "unresigned" from Corbyn's cabinet, much to Jez's delight.  The rats are beginning to rejoin the sinking ship, it's quite extraordinary!  @)(++(*

Alfie

« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2016, 06:18:06 PM »
Great article below, which anyone who feels that rebel MPs are behaving anti-democratically would do well to read and digest....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/25/jeremy-corbyn-populist-democracy-mps

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »
Sarah Champion has "unresigned" from Corbyn's cabinet, much to Jez's delight.  The rats are beginning to rejoin the sinking ship, it's quite extraordinary!  @)(++(*

It's a woman's prerogative, they say. Others are said to be reconsidering also. The sinking ship has now become the lifeboat, perhaps?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2016, 06:49:21 PM »
Great article below, which anyone who feels that rebel MPs are behaving anti-democratically would do well to read and digest....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/25/jeremy-corbyn-populist-democracy-mps

The article is discussing representative democracy, not democracy per se. The leadership election is democratic. Our system of government is representative democracy.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2016, 07:03:59 PM »
I was thinking on my walk home today, if I worked for a large company (like I used to) and it was our loyal customers who (for a small fee) were able to decide who should be the CEO of the business, what a recipe for disaster that would be.  They would be appointing someone whose 'people' skills, ability to lead a team, intellectual ability etc they wouldn't have the first clue about (not being part of the company themselves), nor of having worked along side this person.  So if the post room boy decided to stand as a candidate, and he had an appealingly goofy smile, a humble demeanour and made lots of promises to offer customers bigger and better services,  and there was a populist movement among our customers to shaft the "high-ups" and put someone "down-to-earth" with little expertise and few ideas in the top position (just for the lulz or some misplaced sense of justice for the working man) then that may be considered "democratic" but it sure as hell wouldn't be in the best interests of those actually working within the company, or the company itself. 

Alfie

« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
It's a woman's prerogative, they say. Others are said to be reconsidering also. The sinking ship has now become the lifeboat, perhaps?
Whatever it is, it's on extremely stormy seas and I don't rate its chances of getting back to port in one piece.

stephen25000

« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2016, 07:40:11 PM »
The article is discussing representative democracy, not democracy per se. The leadership election is democratic. Our system of government is representative democracy.

So Corbyn is popular among Labour voters ?

Do you think he is an effective leader ?

How would you say he performed against May last week ?

Mind you, he is pretty good at reading e-mails or letters from members of the public . 8(>((

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
Will someone please shoot ferryman for starting the dreadful pox on here of using parentheses instead of commas.
I will happily provide the AK 47, well it will go bang at the right end consistently  @)(++(*
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »

One of the Clare Short school of preferring to "take the shilling".
Well typical of most politicians .......................we have done this before  ?{)(**
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »
Will someone please shoot ferryman for starting the dreadful pox on here of using parentheses instead of commas.
I will happily provide the AK 47, well it will go bang at the right end consistently  @)(++(*

Is it indicative of things not going well in Rothley Towers ?   

&%+((£

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2016, 08:39:40 PM »
I was thinking on my walk home today, if I worked for a large company (like I used to) and it was our loyal customers who (for a small fee) were able to decide who should be the CEO of the business, what a recipe for disaster that would be.  They would be appointing someone whose 'people' skills, ability to lead a team, intellectual ability etc they wouldn't have the first clue about (not being part of the company themselves), nor of having worked along side this person.  So if the post room boy decided to stand as a candidate, and he had an appealingly goofy smile, a humble demeanour and made lots of promises to offer customers bigger and better services,  and there was a populist movement among our customers to shaft the "high-ups" and put someone "down-to-earth" with little expertise and few ideas in the top position (just for the lulz or some misplaced sense of justice for the working man) then that may be considered "democratic" but it sure as hell wouldn't be in the best interests of those actually working within the company, or the company itself.

Is this all your own work?
It sounds like something Robert Townsend may have said.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2016, 08:42:57 PM »

I would say the electorate are more like the 'customers' of a political party, buying policies rather than goods. Party members are closer than that, they are part of the association. More like shareholders perhaps?
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
I would say the electorate are more like the 'customers' of a political party, buying policies rather than goods. Party members are closer than that, they are part of the association. More like shareholders perhaps?
except you didn't need to be a member to elect the leader last time, just £3.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
Is this all your own work?
It sounds like something Robert Townsend may have said.

Robert Townsend.  God that takes me back a bit.  Wasn't he the ex CEO of Avis?  I think i quite liked his book.  What was it called?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2016, 09:49:17 PM »
except you didn't need to be a member to elect the leader last time, just £3.

Surely marx must be turning in his grave...charging £25 to vote....how entreperneurial