Author Topic: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?  (Read 91222 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2016, 09:21:01 AM »
Live Aid???!  You're equating Live Aid with the civil rights movements of the 60s???!  Hilarious!!

Do you actually support Corbyn and his policies or do you just enjoying arguing for the sake of it?

I'm talking about people who emerge and motivate others, not the aims they espouse.

I think debate is the purpose of the forum. Where is it written that you can only debate on subjects where you have chosen a 'side?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2016, 09:29:40 AM »
Saddiq Khan nails it:

He said that through the referendum and its aftermath, Mr Corbyn had "failed to show the leadership we desperately needed".
"And you can't just blame a 'hostile media' and let Jeremy and his team off the hook.
"I know from my own election - up against a nasty and divisive Tory campaign - that if we are strong and clear enough in our convictions, the message will get through to the public.
"That's a test that Jeremy totally failed in the EU referendum. Why would things be different in a general election?
"His position on EU membership was never clear - and voters didn't believe him."

What is Jeremy's position on EU membership and Brexit??  Does anyone apart from Jeremy actually know?

I  believe Corbyn steadfastly refused to say which way he voted in the referendum.

That reminds me of Blair who several years ago was espousing the triple vaccine for children. When asked by a journalist, 'have your children had the vaccine', he refused to reply.

Alfie

« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »
I'm talking about people who emerge and motivate others, not the aims they espouse.

I think debate is the purpose of the forum. Where is it written that you can only debate on subjects where you have chosen a 'side?
I would say it's unusual to defend as vigorously as you do someone whose political views you do not actually share.  I guess  you just enjoy playing devil's advocate which is fair enough but it somewhat weakens your debating position IMO.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2016, 10:54:10 AM »
I would say it's unusual to defend as vigorously as you do someone whose political views you do not actually share.  I guess  you just enjoy playing devil's advocate which is fair enough but it somewhat weakens your debating position IMO.

Not at all.  To quote my old philosophy professor "there is nothing quite as satisfying as stoutly defending a position you no longer hold".

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
Not at all.  To quote my old philosophy professor "there is nothing quite as satisfying as stoutly defending a position you no longer hold".

I'll drink to that wise professor's sentiment... cheers  8((()*/   ?{)(**
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2016, 11:46:44 AM »

I don't see why lack of commitment to a cause = a weak debating position. I have seen various points raised against Corbyn which add nothing to a sensible debate. His age, dress sense and facial hair are irrelevant.

As far as I can see the arguments against Corbyn are weak leadership and an inability to appeal to the wider electorate.

His leadership has been seriously undermined by the rebel PLP. Would a sympathetic PLP find his leadership adequate? No-one knows, but Emily Thornberry for one strikes me as no fool and she works with him OK.

His wider appeal has not yet been tested. Politicians have increasingly relied on media support in recent years. People are now looking for other sources, however. That's why Corbyn has support; people increasingly don't trust the media to be impartial.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »
what is the point of it though?

Alfie

« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
I don't see why lack of commitment to a cause = a weak debating position. I have seen various points raised against Corbyn which add nothing to a sensible debate. His age, dress sense and facial hair are irrelevant.

As far as I can see the arguments against Corbyn are weak leadership and an inability to appeal to the wider electorate.

His leadership has been seriously undermined by the rebel PLP. Would a sympathetic PLP find his leadership adequate? No-one knows, but Emily Thornberry for one strikes me as no fool and she works with him OK.

His wider appeal has not yet been tested. Politicians have increasingly relied on media support in recent years. People are now looking for other sources, however. That's why Corbyn has support; people increasingly don't trust the media to be impartial.
Although they are not my primary gripes wth Corbyn, I think his age is relevant as is his overall presentability as far as representing his party and the country are concerned.  Do you think, for example, Mchael Foot's presentation were irrelevant to the electorate compared to that of Margaret Thatcher's?  Whether you like it or not, how you look and present youself matters - remember sweaty Nixon vs suave Kennedy?  The PLP is unsympathetic BECAUSE of his inability to be a leader with the ability to unite the party first and foremost, they gave him a chance he blew it.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »
what is the point of it though?

It's an intellectual thing Alfie.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
It's an intellectual thing Alfie.
OK, I guess I'm too stupid to understand then.

Offline misty

« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
JC has already lost the Geordie vote, the heartland of Labour support.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-not-knowing-who-8650020

And if you think he's fit to entertain world leaders....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-sat-on-a-train-floor_uk_57b422d0e4b0d122b47369ee

Alfie

« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »
JC has already lost the Geordie vote, the heartland of Labour support.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-not-knowing-who-8650020

And if you think he's fit to entertain world leaders....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-sat-on-a-train-floor_uk_57b422d0e4b0d122b47369ee
Cringey publicity stunt that was for the benefit of the camera that had been following him about making a film about his canvassing IMO.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Cringey publicity stunt that was for the benefit of the camera that had been following him about making a film about his canvassing IMO.

Or the actions of a man who

a] doesn't have a sense of his own importance [Osborne's train journey] or

b] doesn't spend other people's money freely; he does have the lowest expenses claim in the country.

Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #238 on: August 21, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
Or the actions of a man who

a] doesn't have a sense of his own importance [Osborne's train journey] or

b] doesn't spend other people's money freely; he does have the lowest expenses claim in the country.
Or a man who is unable to plan in advance, a seat booked on a train in advance  is the same price (if not cheaper) than buying on the day and sitting on the floor.

My money however is on publicity stunt.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #239 on: August 21, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
Or a man who is unable to plan in advance, a seat booked on a train in advance  is the same price (if not cheaper) than buying on the day and sitting on the floor.

My money however is on publicity stunt.

Do they guarantee you a seat if you reserve one? Only on some journeys at some times, I think you'll find. Also, he may have reserved a seat but decided a stand-up argument when he found someone else sitting in it was not a productive use of his energies.

You are so judgemental of some people. Strange when you are able to display above average tolerance for the actions of others. Perhaps it depends on your personal opinion of them rather than facts.
Result = happy posting.