Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 170411 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #915 on: November 02, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
Also on the eve of Barry George’s appeal James Murray for the Sunday Express (7th Nov 2007) published:

Fears for Jill’s ‘vulnerable’ killer on eve of his appeal
CONTROVERSY: Lawyers have cast doubt on Barry George’s 2001 conviction for murdering Jill Dando
FRIENDS and relatives of Barry George are becoming increasingly concerned for his welfare on the eve of his appeal against his conviction for killing TV presenter Jill Dando.
George, 47, has placed himself on the “ vulnerable prisoner” list at Belmarsh jail in south London.
That follows his transfer from high-security Whitemoor Prison in Cambridgeshire, in preparation for his three-day appeal hearing, which starts tomorrow at the Royal Courts of Justice.
Going on to the “vulnerable” list usually indicates that prisoners have become concerned about their safety or are feeling unwell.
Yesterday George’s sister Michelle Diskin had expected to visit him but was refused entry at Belmarsh on the grounds that he had gone on the list at Commission has cast doubt on a key piece of forensic evidence – a speck of firearms residue found in the pocket of George’s coat a year after Ms Dando was shot dead on her doorstep in Gowan Avenue, Fulham, south-west London, in April 1999.
George’s barrister, William Clegg, QC, will argue that the forensic science service itself has even cast doubt on the value of the evidence.
Police had originally said the speck matched firearms residue found on the hair and clothing of Miss Dando.
Janet Herbert, who was a juror in George’s original trial in 2001, told BBC1’s Panorama last week: “I just felt shocked that on that little evidence anybody could be locked away for the rest of their life.”
The foreman of the jury also told the programme that if the firearms evidence had been presented differently then they would have returned a different verdict. George’s solicitor Jeremy Moore said: “If the appeal is
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/sunday-express-1070/20071104/281724085194449

(Full article doesn’t appear to be available to copy from press reader)

Comes across as an attention seeking publicity stunt to me that James Murray got caught up in ?
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #916 on: November 02, 2019, 10:31:12 AM »
Comes across as an attention seeking publicity stunt to me that James Murray got caught up in ?

James Murray again for the Sunday Express 19th October 2008 published:

Excerpt from article headed:George: I’m not stalking TV Kay
”Shortly after an Old Bailey jury cleared George of murdering BBC presenter Jill Dando on August 1, he was subject to a bidding war between rival news organisations.
A Sunday tabloid and Sky News he cycled to their studios in Isleworth, west London. He spoke to a person on security but did not ask for Miss Burley by name.
Last week Sky sent him a copy. Then it emerged that Miss Burley had gone to Scotland Yard alleging George might be stalking her. She is said to have been offered security at her home in north London.
Last night Surjit Singh Clair, George’s spokesman, said: “Barry can’t understand what all the fuss is about. The truth is that he has made one visit to the Sky studios to ask for a copy of the interview which they have now given him.
“It has now got to the stage where he will discuss the stories with his QC next week to consider what can be done about them.”
Scotland Yard confirmed they are investigating allegations by a woman

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/sunday-express-1070/20081019/283433482360399
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #917 on: November 02, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
Also on the eve of Barry George’s appeal James Murray for the Sunday Express (7th Nov 2007) published:

Fears for Jill’s ‘vulnerable’ killer on eve of his appeal
CONTROVERSY: Lawyers have cast doubt on Barry George’s 2001 conviction for murdering Jill Dando
FRIENDS and relatives of Barry George are becoming increasingly concerned for his welfare on the eve of his appeal against his conviction for killing TV presenter Jill Dando.
George, 47, has placed himself on the “ vulnerable prisoner” list at Belmarsh jail in south London.
That follows his transfer from high-security Whitemoor Prison in Cambridgeshire, in preparation for his three-day appeal hearing, which starts tomorrow at the Royal Courts of Justice.
Going on to the “vulnerable” list usually indicates that prisoners have become concerned about their safety or are feeling unwell.
Yesterday George’s sister Michelle Diskin had expected to visit him but was refused entry at Belmarsh on the grounds that he had gone on the list at Commission has cast doubt on a key piece of forensic evidence – a speck of firearms residue found in the pocket of George’s coat a year after Ms Dando was shot dead on her doorstep in Gowan Avenue, Fulham, south-west London, in April 1999.
George’s barrister, William Clegg, QC, will argue that the forensic science service itself has even cast doubt on the value of the evidence.
Police had originally said the speck matched firearms residue found on the hair and clothing of Miss Dando.
Janet Herbert, who was a juror in George’s original trial in 2001, told BBC1’s Panorama last week: “I just felt shocked that on that little evidence anybody could be locked away for the rest of their life.”
The foreman of the jury also told the programme that if the firearms evidence had been presented differently then they would have returned a different verdict. George’s solicitor Jeremy Moore said: “If the appeal is
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/sunday-express-1070/20071104/281724085194449

(Full article doesn’t appear to be available to copy from press reader)

The online article can be read here https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/24116/Fears-for-Jill-s-vulnerable-killer-on-eve-of-his-appeal

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #918 on: November 02, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
The online article can be read here https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/24116/Fears-for-Jill-s-vulnerable-killer-on-eve-of-his-appeal

Have previously posted the following By John McVicar (10:46PM BST 02 Aug 2008) writing for the Telegraph who sat through Barry George’s appeal

Analysis: Twists and turns that enabled Barry George to walk free
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2491147/Analysis-Twists-and-turns-that-enabled-Barry-George-to-walk-free.html

Excerpt:
“Mr George’s uncle, Michael Bourke, expected the worst. I spoke to Michael immediately after the verdict. He said: “We thought it was going to be guilty and when we saw the jury’s faces, not one of them showing they were for him, we just…” He hunched his shoulders to illustrate how they flinched.
When the “not guilty” came, Michelle Diskin, Mr George’s sister, was the only one of the three to show any emotion – she slammed the bench that was actually right behind where I was sitting and shouted an exultant, but still surprised, “Yes”.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:56:31 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #919 on: November 02, 2019, 11:12:08 AM »
Have previously posted the following By John McVicar (10:46PM BST 02 Aug 2008) writing for the Telegraph who sat through Barry George’s appeal

Analysis: Twists and turns that enabled Barry George to walk free
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2491147/Analysis-Twists-and-turns-that-enabled-Barry-George-to-walk-free.html

Excerpt:
“Mr George’s uncle, Michael Bourke, expected the worst. I spoke to Michael immediately after the verdict. He said: “We thought it was going to be guilty and when we saw the jury’s faces, not one of them showing they were for him, we just…” He hunched his shoulders to illustrate how they flinched.
When the “not guilty” came, Michelle Diskin, Mr George’s sister, was the only one of the three to show any emotion – she slammed the bench that was actually right behind where I was sitting and shouted an exultant, but still surprised, “Yes”.

Less than 2 weeks after the above article was published Michelle Diskin Bates stated to Mark Hugh’s for the Independent - the article was published on 16 August 2008 00:00

Excerpts
But at the same time, Ms Diskin is anxious that Mr George gets back to normal as soon as possible. "Barry is fiercely independent, he always has been. He will need help in the coming months and years because he is bound to have post-traumatic stress disorder, but he also wants to do things on his own.

"At the moment that is difficult because of all the press attention. I am used to the photographers as I've dealt with them for eight years, but Barry isn't; he's been in a cell all that time.

"I wouldn't say he's now a celebrity, but he has become public property. That has upset me more than it has Barry. It seems that it isn't enough that he didn't kill Jill Dando, he still has to be part of some kind of media circus.

"He takes it all in his stride, but he doesn't like the attention. It would be a very strange type of person who would."
.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/michelle-diskin-life-on-the-outside-for-barry-george-898987.html

”But she is keen also to discuss the struggle her family endured during the eight years her brother was wrongly imprisoned.

She adds: "There were times my children could not leave their own house because of the hordes of photographers outside. We were inundated with calls from the media and had to screen all of them. We even had the phone tapped twice. My mother didn't leave her house for 13 days because of the media; she had to have neighbours pass food across the fence to her.

"Eventually she got so ill with stress that she didn't eat and drink. Luckily a vigilant relative realised what was going on. If it went on for any longer we probably would have lost her.

"The stress put a lot of strain on my body and it resulted in me having lumps in my breast. In those eight years I had two biopsies.

"When my husband, Patrick, died of a brain tumour in April 2007 I had decided to give up. It was too hard and I felt it was unfair on my three teenage children as they had lived with this for years. But when I told them they refused to let me stop."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:17:09 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #920 on: November 03, 2019, 08:20:38 AM »
Opinion: “Courts and Controversy – consequences of the Jefferies contempt case” – Brian Cathcart
4 09 2011

The UK press may show more restraint in reporting of high-profile cases if contempt laws are vigorously enforced, says Brian Cathcart.

The next time there is a sensational murder — something on the scale of the Ipswich or Soham cases — you may notice something different about the media coverage. Reporters may show restraint of a kind that is not familiar. In fact, they might actually obey the law.

The Contempt of Court Act of 1981 prohibits all but the most straightforward reporting in a crime case from the moment “proceedings are active”, in other words once someone is arrested. The idea is to ensure that coverage does not interfere with the course of justice, for instance by prejudicing the eventual jury. But for years, when a big, competitive story came along, many editors and reporters in national media simply ignored the Act and continued to publish often grotesque allegations about a suspect after arrest and even sometimes after they were charged. Think Colin Stagg, Barry George, Karen Matthews and others — and Stagg and George were later shown to be innocent
https://inforrm.org/2011/09/04/opinion-courts-and-controversy-consequences-of-the-jeffries-contempt-case-brian-cathcart/

“The conviction of Barry George for the murder of the TV presenter Jill Dando was one of the biggest stories of last year. But did he really do it? On the eve of George's appeal, Brian Cathcart shows how flimsy the evidence against him was https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/a-question-of-identity-183860.html

Panorama fronted by robber casts new doubt over Dando killer 4th Sept 2006

The BBC faced new allegations of dumbing down Panorama last night after it emerged that a convicted robber is to present a programme questioning the guilt of Jill Dando's killer.

Raphael Rowe, a member of the so-called M25 Three, will tomorrow (tues) present a special hour-long edition of the flagship current affairs programme which casts doubt on the 2001 conviction of Barry George.

It will suggest that key forensic evidence - gunshot residue allegedly from the murder weapon which was found in his coat pocket - may have been contaminated by police officers who searched George's home prior to his arrest.

The programme will feature evidence from forensic and ballistics experts and is expected to question the testimony of witnesses who claim to have seen George lurking in the area of Miss Dando's home on the day she was gunned down outside her home.

It is thought it may also feature a secretly recorded interview with George, who is serving life for Miss Dando's murder and claim that, because of his mental state, he was unable to carry out such an audacious killing in broad daylight.

His family and lawyers claim the unemployed, celebrity-obsessed loner – a convicted sex offender – was the victim of a miscarriage of justice.

The BBC's decision to broadcast a programme which could ultimately help George clear his name has sparked a fierce debate in the organisation.

A number of prominent figures at the Corporation are said to feel 'uneasy' that Panorama is questioning the guilt of the man convicted of murdering popular BBC presenter Miss Dando in Fulham, south-west London, in April 1999.

And eye-brows have been raised that 37-year-old 'investigative reporter' Rowe has been handed the job of fronting such a sensitive programme.

Rowe was himself convicted of murder and spent 12 years behind bars before being sensationally cleared after the Appeal Court ruled his conviction was unsafe.

Rowe, from South London, had been jailed in March 1990 along with Randolph Johnson and Michael Davis.

They were found guilty of murdering hairdresser Peter Hurburgh, 57, in December 1988 and carrying out a series of violent robberies around the M25 in Surrey.

In July 2000 the murder convictions and those relating to the M25 robberies were dramatically overturned at the Court of Appeal.

Lord Justice Mantell ruled that the prosecution had failed to disclose links between police and a paid informant which undermined its case.

Undisclosed police logs also revealed uncertainties about the colour of the three men who carried out the raids.

However the judges who freed him said the evidence against Rowe remained 'formidable', saying their decision was 'not a finding of innocence, far from it'.

Rowe has a string of other convictions for robbery and theft, including one for malicious wounding.

Soon after being released from prison, Rowe began training as a BBC journalist and in September 2001 landed a job as an investigative reporter for Radio 4's Today programme.
His documentary on the Dando case is easily his highest-profile work yet at the BBC.

It is thought he has liaised closely with George's family and lawyers, who have referred his case back to the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), which has the power to refer the case back to the Court of Appeal.

They believe evidence at his Old Bailey trial, particularly on identification, was either flawed or should have been ruled inadmissible.
In 2002 the Appeal Court said the seven-week trial had been fair and there remained a compelling case against George, of Crookham Road,Fulham.

A particle of firearm residue had been found in George's coat and a fibre found on Miss Dando was consistent with an article of his clothing.
George had falsely denied being associated with firearms, had shown an obsession with Miss Dando and other female TV presenters, had lied to police and had given a flawed alibi statement.

What the jury did not know before convicting George by a majority verdict after five days was that the gun fanatic had been fixated with Princess Diana.

In January 1983 the former Territorial Army soldier tried to break into Kensington Palace, carrying a 12-inch hunting knife, 50ft of rope and wearing military- style uniform.

At the time he was subject to a suspended prison sentence for an indecent assault.

Nor was the jury told he had a previous conviction for attempted rape, another for indecent assault and more for impersonating police officers.

In July it emerged that Panorama could be cut to 30 minutes, renewing fears that the world's longest-running current affairs programme is being dumbed down.

The proposed changes are being championed by Peter Fincham, controller of BBC1, who is understood to be keen on making the show more 'accessible'.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/panorama-fronted-by-robber-casts-new-doubt-over-dando-killer-7081769.html
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:27:52 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #921 on: November 10, 2019, 12:15:11 PM »
How, on the day of Jill Dando’s murder, did Barry George know he looked “similar in appearance with her killer” if the police didn’t release the photofit until 4 days after?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1349115.stm

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #922 on: November 10, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »
How, on the day of Jill Dando’s murder, did Barry George know he looked “similar in appearance with her killer” if the police didn’t release the photofit until 4 days after?

Who did Barry George tell of his concerns of looking “similar in appearance with her killer”?

Were his family ever concerned about these similarities?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #923 on: November 14, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »
Michelle Diskin Bates (Sister of Barry George) is apparently claiming a possible connection between the Daniel Morgan murder with that of Jill Dando’s murder
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8619250/News-of-the-World-spied-on-detective-during-murder-inquiry.html

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #924 on: November 15, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »
Michelle Diskin Bates (Sister of Barry George) is apparently claiming a possible connection between the Daniel Morgan murder with that of Jill Dando’s murder
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8619250/News-of-the-World-spied-on-detective-during-murder-inquiry.html

Peter Jukes byline times article here https://bylinetimes.com/2019/03/29/a-phone-hacking-hit-how-jill-dando-was-tracked-to-her-doorstep/ published on 29th March 2019 refers to Graham Johnson and Dan Evans article here https://bylinetimes.com/2019/03/29/blagged-to-death-how-scotland-yard-missed-crucial-clues-in-the-tabloid-targeting-of-jill-dando/ published the same day

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #925 on: November 18, 2019, 07:57:04 AM »

“Undoubtedly, when persons are speaking on even terms and a charge is made, and the person charged says nothing, and expresses no indignation, and does nothing to repel the charge, that is some evidence to show that he admits the charge to be true.

Evidence in Context by Jonathon Doak

7.1 The “even terms” rule.

“Lenita Bailey was a customer at a hairdressers near the accused flat. She knew him and recalled a conversation with him. George came into the salon and claimed police were harassing him over the death of Jill Dando. He complained they had searched his home and his mothers house. Ms Bailey said to him: “Did you do it?”  George remained silent and starred at the floor. She repeated the question twice more and asked him to look at her. At trial, she said: “His lips moved as if he were thinking of an answer but none was forthcoming. Her evidence of the discussion, or lack of it, was admitted, and George was convicted.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JmDLCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT374&lpg=PT374&dq=lenita+bailey+barry+george&source=bl&ots=o2q28Nrf8W&sig=ACfU3U0U6Ar9JmuOb0wlSIVZgNXu2D_peQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqntajzs_hAhXvVBUIHc3LCmsQ6AEwEXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=lenita%20bailey%20barry%20george&f=false

Where is it written that any of Barry George’s family ask him if he’s guilty? They say he isn’t guilty - as though they are telling him he can’t be, but where do they ask him if he’s guilty?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #926 on: November 18, 2019, 08:26:56 AM »
Sept 2006
“A row has broken out over the basis of information used in a Panorama documentary about the murder of television presenter Jill Dando.

Award-winning journalist Don Hale has accused Raphael Rowe, the presenter of the programme, of using old material, a claim which Rowe strongly denies.

Hale told Press Gazette: "I'm accusing him of plagiarism to a certain extent. It's a 100 per cent lift of the information that was presented to the Criminal Cases Review Commission on 5 November, 2002.

"It gave the impression that Raphael and the BBC team had come up with this new evidence completely on their own, which is not the case."

The Panorama special, Jill Dando's Murder — The New Evidence, featured forensic analysis which questioned the only piece of scientific evidence against Barry George, the man jailed for murdering Dando.

In the programme, which attracted 4.6m viewers on Tuesday night, Rowe investigated if there was new relevant evidence that should have been heard by a jury, and gained exclusive access to case documents and exhibits.

Rowe told Press Gazette: "We as investigative journalists went out there and spoke to the most crucial witnesses, explored the most crucial elements of the case –— the scientific elements of the case as well as other pieces of evidence.

"We didn't do a paper exercise investigation, we spoke to people, we got to the heart of the issues surrounding the evidence."

According to Rowe, the only issue that was raised at the Court of Appeal was identification. The issue of contamination was also mentioned, but no new evidence was brought.

He said that the jury members and other witnesses who were also important to the trial told him they had not been approached by anybody since the case was first heard.

Hale was part of the team with MOJO [Miscarriages of Justice Organisation] that had conducted a lot of work on the case long before Raphael Rowe began investigating the murder two years ago. He said: "There was no acknowledgement or reference at all to the work that we had done as a team in preparation for this."

However, Rowe argued that the capability of MOJO was overestimated.

He said: "They gave us no information that was included in the programme. The information that the organisation MOJO gave us could not be stood up."

https://pressgazette.co.uk/hale-hits-out-over-dando-special/

What ”information” did MOJO give panorama that “could not be stood up”?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #927 on: November 18, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »
I wonder if Barry George and his sister ever got to the bottom of who the source(s) were for leaking “scare stories as she refers to them in her book, to the press?

Who was leaking “scare stories” to the MSM?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #928 on: December 06, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »

Excerpt from ‘Who killed Jill Dando? by Nick Ross

“Personality disorders result in cognitive impairment, obsessions and narcissism, mostly resulting from genetic or physical damage, such as frontal lobe pathology, but sometimes from severe abuse. These disorders are not curable and so, until recently, even violent offenders were sent to prisons rather that to secure hospitals. Psychiatrists concede they can do nothing for them.

Mark Chapman, who killed John Lennon, suffered a form of personality disorder, and it’s not hard to see similarities in the way Jill was ambushed. Interestingly Chapman modelled his life on a hero of his (in his case, Holden Caulfield, a figure from The Catcher in the Rye) rather as Barry George had modelled himself on famous people, most recently a figure from Queen, which is why he had adopted the name Bulsara.

What are the chances of Jill being know to such a personality disordered person? The answer is almost 100%.
https://www.nickross.com/who-killed-jill-dando/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:27:22 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #929 on: December 06, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
Less than 2 weeks after the above article was published Michelle Diskin Bates stated to Mark Hugh’s for the Independent - the article was published on 16 August 2008 00:00

Excerpts
But at the same time, Ms Diskin is anxious that Mr George gets back to normal as soon as possible. "Barry is fiercely independent, he always has been. He will need help in the coming months and years because he is bound to have post-traumatic stress disorder, but he also wants to do things on his own.

"At the moment that is difficult because of all the press attention. I am used to the photographers as I've dealt with them for eight years, but Barry isn't; he's been in a cell all that time.

"I wouldn't say he's now a celebrity, but he has become public property. That has upset me more than it has Barry. It seems that it isn't enough that he didn't kill Jill Dando, he still has to be part of some kind of media circus.

"He takes it all in his stride, but he doesn't like the attention. It would be a very strange type of person who would."
.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/michelle-diskin-life-on-the-outside-for-barry-george-898987.html

Telling