Author Topic: Brexit from Irish perspective  (Read 4421 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Brexit from Irish perspective
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 03:34:48 PM »
Many, many years ago I had to point out to a rather racist radio presenter that Sikhs not Muslims wore turbans. In a multi-cultural society like ours you’d have thought that would have been common knowledge.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 03:56:02 PM »
Afghanistan

Turbans are part of the national dress in Afghanistan. They are used more widely here than elsewhere in the Muslim world, and are worn in a wide range of styles and colours. In the country's south-east, turbans are wrapped loosely and largely, whereas in Kabul the garment tends to be smaller and tighter. In traditional Afghan society, a related piece of extra cloth called a patu serves practical purposes, such as for wrapping oneself against the cold, to sit on, to tie up an animal or to carry water in the cap. Different ethnic groups in Afghanistan wear different lungees with different patterns, way of styling it, fabric, stripes, lengths and colouration. Males of all ethnic backgrounds generally avoid wearing bright-coloured turbans that draw attention to oneself and prefer wearing simple colors that are white, off white, gray, dark blue and black
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
I lived for many years in a Muslim country which had its fair share of Sikhs too.  The only men wearing turbans there were the Sikhs, my dad’s driver being one such.  The Muslims generally wore Songkoks, but only on special or formal occasions.  I really don’t need educating on the subject.  Turbans however, is a generic term for male headdress such as that worn by Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban, and by many other Muslim men throughout the world.  It is that to which I was referring, not the Sikh turban (also known as a Pagri or Dastar, more specifically), for anyone who though otherwise.  Hope that’s cleared up that little “misunderstanding “. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 05:04:31 PM »
I lived for many years in a Muslim country which had its fair share of Sikhs too.  The only men wearing turbans there were the Sikhs, my dad’s driver being one such.  The Muslims generally wore Songkoks, but only on special or formal occasions.  I really don’t need educating on the subject.  Turbans however, is a generic term for male headdress such as that worn by Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban, and by many other Muslim men throughout the world.  It is that to which I was referring, not the Sikh turban (also known as a Pagri or Dastar, more specifically), for anyone who though otherwise.  Hope that’s cleared up that little “misunderstanding “.

Of course, of course.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 10:49:34 PM »
“We are not about to give this up because of some Kalashnikov-wielding bumpkins in turbans,” said one of (Afghanistan’s) first female rappers (re: the Taliban).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/were-not-about-to-give-this-all-up-for-some-kalashnikov-wielding-bumpkins-in-turbans-7pvrxj6s9

Vindicated!