Author Topic: Has Theresa May now fudged the Brexit negotiations?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline John

Has Theresa May now fudged the Brexit negotiations?
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:20:28 PM »
It was inevitable, Theresa May's Brexit negotiations are slowly sinking into the fudge mire.

The pro Brexit MP's in the Cabinet are slowly but surely removing any support they initially had for her, she has shown herself to be incapable of driving a hard bargain and is now seen as someone who might well capitulate when the going gets tough.

Is it now time she stood down and let someone with a backbone get us out of the EU?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Has Theresa May now fudged the Brexit negotiations?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
I wish one of these pro-Brexit ministers would spell out exactly what they would have done differently in May’s shoes.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:33:20 PM »
I wish one of these pro-Brexit ministers would spell out exactly what they would have done differently in May’s shoes.

You don't see too many of those about these days do you?
They fall on their swords or take the shilling.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »
You don't see too many of those about these days do you?
They fall on their swords or take the shilling.
I’d be interested to hear what JRM’s plan woulld be.  Put him in charge and let it be his f..k up I say!
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline IndigoJ

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »
It's quite simple , we voted to leave ! now get on with it and stop trying to enable us to "remain" ,if the EU approve this proposal  i will be amazed

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »
I’d be interested to hear what JRM’s plan woulld be.  Put him in charge and let it be his f..k up I say!
Bearing in mind you cannot have vacuum either side will only be able to do the same things less or more unless they want to bring the UK machine to a shuddering halt.
The first two rounds were lost by the Brexiteers. Probably the most important ones.
Take back control of our borders?. Change the immigration laws for EU citizens if you like but the immigration rights of Commonwealth Citizens and their families remain the same.
We don't want those nasty Europeans interfering in our laws.They don't have to. "All existing EU legislation will be copied across into domestic UK law to ensure a smooth transition on the day after Brexit".[Repeal act 2017] not to mention a raft of mandatory EU directives which have to be observed if you want to place goods into the EU market.
Fun times ahead when the GBP realise it has been sold a pup.
Top tip: Buy shares in holiday health insurance companies.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »
I guess you've all read Part 1 of the "no-deal technical notes"?
https://news.sky.com/story/govt-lays-bare-consequences-of-no-deal-to-uk-11480134

Offline Carana

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 10:58:29 AM »

Quite. I don't see anyone else on either side capable of attempting to steer the Titanic 2 around the icebergs, particularly as she didn't think the ship should have left harbour in the first place.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 10:41:23 AM »
I guess you've all read Part 1 of the "no-deal technical notes"?
https://news.sky.com/story/govt-lays-bare-consequences-of-no-deal-to-uk-11480134

That looks like the prelude to:
"Well a responsible government could not allow that could it?" "So we decided it might be best if we stay in the club as associate members without voting rights".

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »
In my opinion Theresa May can't deliver what she promised. She made an error of judgement by calling an election which left her relying on the support of the DUP. Retaining that support is stopping her from reaching a deal with the EU.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 07:23:18 AM »
In my opinion Theresa May can't deliver what she promised. She made an error of judgement by calling an election which left her relying on the support of the DUP. Retaining that support is stopping her from reaching a deal with the EU.

Prior to that though was Cameron's ill-calculated idea of a referendum in the first place, which appears to have been to shut up the hard right amongst the Conservatives. I suspect that Labour's hard left would be pro-Brexit as well for their own reasons (possibly the EU's policy of restricting industrial nationalisation, amongst other issues).

Like her or loathe her, I can only imagine the nightmare situation she's trying to deal with.

Offline Carana

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
May's pre-referendum rationale on the advantages and disadvantages of leaving the EU (April 25, 2016). Worth a read, whatever one's leaning, IMO.
https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/04/theresa-mays-speech-on-brexit-full-text.html

Sorting fact from fiction, an interesting A-Z compendium of anti-EU myths propagated largely by the populist media.
https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/