Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1352874 times)

icabodcrane

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »
My dear icabod, I am a great admirer of your meaningful and insightful posts, as you probably know, but I do have to correct you on one tiny aspect of the above.

If I, as a so-called 'pro' (though not one who is afraid to question the McCanns if I believe they are not acting in their own and their daughter's best interests), happen to be in agreement with sadie or anyone else on a certain point, it is not a matter of 'patting on the head'. We are all independent enough thinkers on this forum, and confident enough in the business of challenging each other, that such a concept is irrelevant here.

Advancing a theory - with the caveat that all or part of it could be proven wrong - is a crucial part of the investigative process, be that in crime, science, philosophy, or any serious endeavour. A person knows when they advance a theory that there's a good chance it could emerge weatherbeaten after submission to the rigours of inquiry and debate, and that that is the very mechanism for moving things forward.

It takes a great deal of courage to put ideas out there, especially in this case, because to this day nobody knows what has happened to Madeleine. It is an inevitability that many if not most of us on this forum will be proven very wrong in much of what we have postulated and said.

Better to advance a theory and hold it up to the ravages of the various tempests that afflict it in the name of progress, than sit safely in one's armchair saying less for fear of making a mistake.

Not that I'm accusing you of that, icabod.

Just a brief defence of us 'theorists'.

hmm  ... all that smart arse stuff goes right over my head

...  and I  maintain that encouraging a forum member to lose themselves in a fantasty world  is  unkind ...  I say that from the safety  of my armchair ,  as most of us  do
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:32:16 AM by icabodcrane »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:12 AM »

...  and I  maintain that encouraging a forum member to lose themselves in a fantasty world  is  unkind ...  I say that from the safety  of my armchair ,  as most of us  do

I'm sure it doesn't...

stephen25000

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2013, 07:54:15 AM »
oh my word! This is a missing child we are talking about here and you use words like "fun" and "exciting" when you explain your investigations. Seriously? I can't think what is fun or exciting about any of it.

On a secondary note, could you explain what makes you qualified to provide SY with your A4 folder of information. Are you a member of a police force, private eye etc, or are you, like the rest of us, just have an interest in the case? Because if it's the latter, as I suspect, then I'm sure SY and the PJ have plenty of people much more qualified than any of us to investigate and come up with their own theories of what happened. Providing them with your own theories just seems a bit OTT in my opinion. And in all honesty, I think dealing with paper work from uninvolved members of the public is taking staff from duties they would much better spend their time with.

Yes OpenMinded, well said.

In the end we are observers and have our opinions on the case. but no more.

Offline Benice

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:37 AM »

What a spiteful attack on a forum member who has done a huge amount of proper research into this case, has provided us with photographs and has actually been to the site - which in itself is an advantage over those of us who haven't.   

Sadie believes the same as SY - i.e. that Madeleine was the victim of stranger abduction.   Are SY in a fantasy world too?

Just like yourself Sadie is entitled to express her opinion on here.   

As far as I am concerned those who believe that the McCanns, aided and abetted by 7 people, some of whom they hardly knew, disposed of a dead child's body -  and then all carried on as normal  - enjoying their holiday -  as if what had happened was no more than the tiniest blip in proceedings, are quite few paces closer to a fantasy world than anyone else.   

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Jazzy

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
What a spiteful attack on a forum member who has done a huge amount of proper research into this case, has provided us with photographs and has actually been to the site - which in itself is an advantage over those of us who haven't.   

Sadie believes the same as SY - i.e. that Madeleine was the victim of stranger abduction.   Are SY in a fantasy world too?

Just like yourself Sadie is entitled to express her opinion on here.   

As far as I am concerned those who believe that the McCanns, aided and abetted by 7 people, some of whom they hardly knew, disposed of a dead child's body -  and then all carried on as normal  - enjoying their holiday -  as if what had happened was no more than the tiniest blip in proceedings, are quite few paces closer to a fantasy world than anyone else.

8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(

stephen25000

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »
8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(

Isn't this rank hypocrisy when Mccann supporters criticize and ridicule other theories about the Mccanns having hidden the truth of what happened to Madeleine, but don't like it when one's such as Sadie's are pulled apart ?

Offline Jazzy

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
Isn't this rank hypocrisy when Mccann supporters criticize and ridicule other theories about the Mccanns having hidden the truth of what happened to Madeleine, but don't like it when one's such as Sadie's are pulled apart ?

No, I personally don't like it when Sadie is bullied, yet again.

stephen25000

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
No, I personally don't like it when Sadie is bullied, yet again.

If you have been observant, 'bullying' as you call it has been present from both sides.

Also, I notice you didn't comment on the FACT, that alternative theories about the mccanns are targeted with abuse. >@@(*&)

Offline Jazzy

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2013, 09:31:33 AM »

If you have been observant, 'bullying' as you call it has been present from both sides.

Also, I notice you didn't comment on the FACT, that alternative theories about the mccanns are targeted with abuse. >@@(*&)

Why would I comment on that? I have no interest in them. The only "theory" I am interested in is the official police one.

Offline Benice

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »

What alternative theories?   - please point to just one that is credible but which IYO has been targetted with abuse.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.

stephen25000

« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
What alternative theories?   - please point to just one that is credible but which IYO has been targetted with abuse.

You are well aware of the main alternative theory, so don't play games.

As to the abuse it has produced, well you know exactly where that originates.

Offline Benice

« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »
You are well aware of the main alternative theory, so don't play games.

As to the abuse it has produced, well you know exactly where that originates.

I can truthfully say I have never read a single credible alternative theory to abduction.  And IMO if one existed you would be spamming the board with it on a daily basis.    Your reluctance to divulge what exactly this theory is and provide proof of its credibility  - says it all IMO.

I can also assure you I have no idea what you mean by ''you know exactly where that (abuse) originates'  Please clarify.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »

...  and I  maintain that encouraging a forum member to lose themselves in a fantasy world  is  unkind ...  I say that from the safety  of my armchair ,  as most of us  do
I share with SH admiration for the finesse of Icabodcrane's posts, but I share with Icabodcrane the opinion that feeding illusory worlds isn't fair. If fantasy doesn't at least entertain like in Enid Blyton novels, it can't but frustrate either its builder and its public as it offers no challenge to what in ourselves needs to understand.

stephen25000

« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2013, 10:08:05 AM »
I can truthfully say I have never read a single credible alternative theory to abduction.  And IMO if one existed you would be spamming the board with it on a daily basis.    Your reluctance to divulge what exactly this theory is and provide proof of its credibility  - says it all IMO.

I can also assure you I have no idea what you mean by ''you know exactly where that (abuse) originates'  Please clarify.

Merely because you don't accept other theories does not make you right. That is your opinion and no more.

Besides you can no more prove abduction than I can prove Madeleine had an accident in the apartment.

In the former, no proof at all, in the latter the forensics were inconclusive.

As to your latter sentence, you are not that naive.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:11:00 AM by stephen25000 »

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
" Madeleine had an accident in the apartment"

Is that the main alternative theory?