Author Topic: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?  (Read 90354 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

Re: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 08:22:25 PM »

I don't think it is going to have the impact it might have had and any fallout is going to be short term.  Blair couldn't have arranged a better time for it if he had planned it himself.

You mean he didnt.......

Offline John

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
You mean he didnt.......

@)(++(*   oh dear JP as if he would do such a thing   8(0(*
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:12:55 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:05:23 PM »
On Sky News a few seconds ago..................

There are 60,000 new members of the Labour Party.

..and they will be able to vote in the next election for leader. *&*%£

Well G-Unit, that is democracy for you. 8)-)))

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:56:15 PM »
As far as I know anyone can join a political party at any time if they want to. Membership entitles members to a say in the party's affairs, including leadership elections.

Democracy means power belongs to the people. The Labour Party is more democratic than the Conservative Party because it's members vote earlier in the leadership process.

I believe in democracy but I think democracy in most cases is limited. The people should have the power but usually their ability to wield it is limited.

We have seen democracy in action twice in the last year and the outrage has been plain. I think unfettered democracy would not suit those who believe they know best. They see the people as untrustworthy, which is why there has never been true democracy in the UK.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »
For £3 I could place a vote for Maria Eagle, though I've never voted Labour in my life.  How is that right?

stephen25000

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 10:05:23 PM »
For £3 I could place a vote for Maria Eagle, though I've never voted Labour in my life.  How is that right?

Exactly.

It would seem rather like  what happened before Corbyn was elected, there was an upsurge in membership.

So it could be of the same, to ensure his 'victory'  , or maybe some people are trying to redress the balance.

Either way, that is hardly democracy.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 10:06:50 PM »
As far as I know anyone can join a political party at any time if they want to. Membership entitles members to a say in the party's affairs, including leadership elections.

Democracy means power belongs to the people. The Labour Party is more democratic than the Conservative Party because it's members vote earlier in the leadership process.

I believe in democracy but I think democracy in most cases is limited. The people should have the power but usually their ability to wield it is limited.

We have seen democracy in action twice in the last year and the outrage has been plain. I think unfettered democracy would not suit those who believe they know best. They see the people as untrustworthy, which is why there has never been true democracy in the UK.

never been true democracy in the UK...what an absolute load of tosh...it depends how you define true democracy which is entirely subjective

Offline mercury

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:51 PM »
First you have to state why you think its wrong

Ps
Wrong Eagle,its this one you want

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/angela-eagle-leadership-website-registered-days-resigned/

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 10:37:05 PM »
The labour party members have chosen the leader they want...if that's the end of the labour party it's up to them

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »
never been true democracy in the UK...what an absolute load of tosh...it depends how you define true democracy which is entirely subjective

If you live in an area with a safe Labour seat you can be a member of the Conservative Party, you can work for it and vote for it but you will be represented by a Labour MP. Birkenhead being one case in point. You are pretty much disenfranchised.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »
If you live in an area with a safe Labour seat you can be a member of the Conservative Party, you can work for it and vote for it but you will be represented by a Labour MP. Birkenhead being one case in point. You are pretty much disenfranchised.

so...every system has pluses and minuses....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 11:20:03 PM »
so...every system has pluses and minuses....

True, but ours could be improved to give those living in safe seat areas more influence on the make-up of our government.
Result = happy posting.

Offline John

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »

At this rate we will see Jeremy Corbyn win again as Tory interlopers vote him in simply in an attempt to destroy the labour Party.  I agree, it is one big shambles.  Only Labour voters registered as of a few days ago should be allowed to vote.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:34:29 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »
Apparently Tom Watson is in talks with Corbyn representatives, if not Corbyn himself , to find a way of Corbyn standing down without losing face.

As to the new members of the Labour party, more than suspicious.

Essentially paying £3 to join the party is to buy  votes, hardly democratic.

Has there been a surge in membership of the Tories ?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »
I was thinking that when they finally defeat Corbyn they will most likely change the rules double quick. They first have to defeat him though.

Result = happy posting.