Author Topic: Global warming  (Read 34211 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Global warming
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2019, 11:42:06 PM »
I'm more a WUM than a troll.

wum
It is an acronym meaning Wind-Up Merchant.

It refers to someone who posts on message boards and newsgroups with the intention to cause as much disruption as possible by goading others.

And this differs from a troll how exactly?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »

I consider wumming to be more mild mannered than trolling.

A troll would be someone who is abusive to others.
I don't abuse anyone. Except the McCanns, but then, they deserve it.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 07:40:40 AM »
I consider wumming to be more mild mannered than trolling.

A troll would be someone who is abusive to others.
I don't abuse anyone. Except the McCanns, but then, they deserve it.
If you’re abusive then you’re a troll, you say.  Well you’ve repeatedly sneered at the efforts of a 16 year old girl who is bravely putting her head above the parapet to get shot at repeatedly by bully-boy climate change deniers, is that not abusive?   IMO yes it is.  You can disagree with her stance without making glib comments about bunking school and playing with dolls but I realise this would require some thought and intelligence. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 10:47:28 AM »
If you’re abusive then you’re a troll, you say.  Well you’ve repeatedly sneered at the efforts of a 16 year old girl who is bravely putting her head above the parapet to get shot at repeatedly by bully-boy climate change deniers, is that not abusive?   IMO yes it is.  You can disagree with her stance without making glib comments about bunking school and playing with dolls but I realise this would require some thought and intelligence.

Look now who is being abusive!

Greta Thunberg offers no real solution to this climate crisis, which isn't happening.

As I understand it, she & some other ankle biters have made a legal complaint about several countries & their Co2 emissions.  (not including India & China, 2 of the worst polluters)

She hasn't once mentioned China during her tantrums, as far as I'm aware.

It's all very well her getting angry but it isn't going to do anything other than wind people up & scare kids into believing we're all doomed (before they bury their heads back in their i phones, made with precious metals mined by impoverished African children in conflict zones).

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »
Look now who is being abusive!

Greta Thunberg offers no real solution to this climate crisis, which isn't happening.

As I understand it, she & some other ankle biters have made a legal complaint about several countries & their Co2 emissions.  (not including India & China, 2 of the worst polluters)

She hasn't once mentioned China during her tantrums, as far as I'm aware.

It's all very well her getting angry but it isn't going to do anything other than wind people up & scare kids into believing we're all doomed (before they bury their heads back in their i phones, made with precious metals mined by impoverished African children in conflict zones).
I don't believe my post was abusive, why do you claim it was?

It was my understanding that Greta recently attended a UN conference of world leaders to discuss climate change and that her comments did not single out India and China for exemption from doing their bit to address the issues of climate change.  Perhaps you could confirm otherwise?  It is also my understanding that it is not Greta's role in this to present solutions to climate change, but simply to raise awareness of the issue and to keep it in the public eye, and to keep pressure on those who can offer solutions to come up with them.  Now tell me that this is a very bad and stupid thing to do, why don't you...?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »
I don't believe my post was abusive, why do you claim it was?

It was my understanding that Greta recently attended a UN conference of world leaders to discuss climate change and that her comments did not single out India and China for exemption from doing their bit to address the issues of climate change.  Perhaps you could confirm otherwise?  It is also my understanding that it is not Greta's role in this to present solutions to climate change, but simply to raise awareness of the issue and to keep it in the public eye, and to keep pressure on those who can offer solutions to come up with them.  Now tell me that this is a very bad and stupid thing to do, why don't you...?

What solutions are there to come up with?
It's a pointless waste of oxygen.

The ceaseless increase in human population is the crux of the problem, Yet no one is addressing that.
This endless expansion of humanity on the earth demand food, housing & electricity.
There are a finite amount of resources on the planet, compared to an almost infinite demand.
The best way to save the planet is by people stopping breeding.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:12 PM »
What solutions are there to come up with?
It's a pointless waste of oxygen.

The ceaseless increase in human population is the crux of the problem, Yet no one is addressing that.
This endless expansion of humanity on the earth demand food, housing & electricity.
There are a finite amount of resources on the planet, compared to an almost infinite demand.
The best way to save the planet is by people stopping breeding.
The population is not on a ceaseless increase, it is projected to start to decline around the turn of this century even without the help of global warming killing millions of us off.  The way to address overbreeding is through education and improved health and living standards, so why not strive also to address pollution, over reliance on fossil fuels, plastics whilst we're at it?  Or are you just gonna roll over and die cos you simply cant be bothered?  Fortunately the human race is a resilient and ingenious one, but there's no harm giving it a collective kick up the arse every now and again, which is where Greta and her tantrumming babies come into it.  Good on her for kicking world leaders' collectives arses.  You should be applauding her courage IMO not sneering at her attempts, no matter how ineffective you believe them to be.  Why SHOULDN'T world leaders  be held accountable for their (in) actions  by the adults of the future?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
I used to despair at the lack of interest that younger generation seemed to have in anything outside of their immediate circle of friends and family but the fact that so many young people are now far more switched on to the issues of the day, and politics in general is a good thing imo.  Go Greta, keep on kicking against the pricks, I say! 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 12:44:09 PM »
"The world's population is projected to nearly stop growing by the end of the century due in large part to falling global fertility rates, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of new data from the United Nations. By 2100, the world's population is projected to reach approximately 10.9 billion, with annual growth of less than 0.1% -- a steep decline from current levels. Between 1950 and today, the world's population grew between 1% and 2% each year, with the number of people rising from 2.5 billion to more than 7.7 billion.
The report also found the world's population is getting older, with people over the age of 65 being the fastest-growing age group. "One in four people living in Europe and Northern America could be 65 years or older by 2050," reports USA Today. "And the number of people age 80 or over is projected to triple globally, from 143 million in 2019 to 426 million in 2050."

As for the global fertility rate, it fell from 3.2 births per woman in 1990 to 2.5 in 2019 and is projected to decline even further to 2.2 in 2050".

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 01:30:45 PM »
The population is not on a ceaseless increase, it is projected to start to decline around the turn of this century even without the help of global warming killing millions of us off.  The way to address overbreeding is through education and improved health and living standards, so why not strive also to address pollution, over reliance on fossil fuels, plastics whilst we're at it?  Or are you just gonna roll over and die cos you simply cant be bothered?  Fortunately the human race is a resilient and ingenious one, but there's no harm giving it a collective kick up the arse every now and again, which is where Greta and her tantrumming babies come into it.  Good on her for kicking world leaders' collectives arses.  You should be applauding her courage IMO not sneering at her attempts, no matter how ineffective you believe them to be.  Why SHOULDN'T world leaders  be held accountable for their (in) actions  by the adults of the future?

The biggest population increases will be in African shit hole countries & in India & China & alike.
I don't think it likely any of them will be giving a damn about the environment or of the opinions of privileged western school girls.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »
The biggest population increases will be in African shit hole countries & in India & China & alike.
I don't think it likely any of them will be giving a damn about the environment or of the opinions of privileged western school girls.
You’re really not interested in discussing this subject like an adult IMO.   Never mind.  Carrying on being a silly WUM on a backwater internet forum, I’m sure that’s WAY more worthwhile than anything Greta’s doing. 

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »
You’re really not interested in discussing this subject like an adult IMO.   Never mind.  Carrying on being a silly WUM on a backwater internet forum, I’m sure that’s WAY more worthwhile than anything Greta’s doing.

I'll take the topic seriously when the extinction protesters start campaigning in the right direction, which is outside the Chinese Embassy.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
I'll take the topic seriously when the extinction protesters start campaigning in the right direction, which is outside the Chinese Embassy.
I don't really think you understand what Extinction Rebellion campaign is about.  It is a worldwide movement of protest against the governments of each of the countries in which activism is taking place.  So, in this country they are targetting the UK government, not the Chinese embassy.  And I'm sure if they did set up camp outside the Chinese embassy you'd sneer at them all the same.  Come on, be honest now. 

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »
I don't really think you understand what Extinction Rebellion campaign is about.  It is a worldwide movement of protest against the governments of each of the countries in which activism is taking place.  So, in this country they are targetting the UK government, not the Chinese embassy.  And I'm sure if they did set up camp outside the Chinese embassy you'd sneer at them all the same.  Come on, be honest now.

Like I said yesterday, the UK contributes a massive 1% of global carbon emissions!
The UK has reduced it's carbon footprint significantly in the last few decades.
We are not the problem. China is. The developing third world is.
If they set up camp outside the Chinese Embassy I'd back them 100%.
But they are not going to.
They are just going to disrupt peoples lives & waste police resources in the capital & it's going to achieve precisely f..k all.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
Like I said yesterday, the UK contributes a massive 1% of global carbon emissions!
The UK has reduced it's carbon footprint significantly in the last few decades.
We are not the problem. China is. The developing third world is.
If they set up camp outside the Chinese Embassy I'd back them 100%.
But they are not going to.
They are just going to disrupt peoples lives & waste police resources in the capital & it's going to achieve precisely f..k all.
Oh right, so we don’t outsource most of our manufacturing to the Far East then?