Author Topic: Does the Madeleine McCann case warrant a Public Inquiry?  (Read 32438 times)

Offline Angelo222

Re: Does the Madeleine McCann case warrant a Public Inquiry?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
Are you talking about the PJ leaking false information to the press.......the PJ lying to the McCanns during interviews

What did they lie about davel?  Maddies DNA could very well have been in the hire car  8(0(*
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
Everyone ie witnesses, police, private investigators, press etc etc...

Thanks.

- Witnesses: I don't really see what witnesses could provide beyond their rogatory interviews.

- Private investigators: possibly, but I'm not sure what they could reveal in terms of substance into what happened to Madeleine that the police aren't already aware of.

- Police: in a delicate diplomatic situation, I can't imagine how the UK police would say any more than they did in the Leveson Inquiry. I don't see how a UK public inquiry could require former PJ officers to testify, nor whether current PJ officers would admit to what they may have uncovered, either in terms of the Madeleine investigation, or in terms of the sources of half-baked myths being promoted at the time.

- Press: see Leveson Inquiry.

I don't even see the grounds for it, let alone what it could elucidate, beyond the investigations currently underway in both countries, which taxpayers are already paying for.

Offline Carana

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
What did they lie about davel?  Maddies DNA could very well have been in the hire car  8(0(*

Yes, it could. Her belongings were presumably also transferred to the family's new abode, and her toys could have been taken in the car for the twins to use during outings.

The results don't even show that it was her DNA as they showed a result of 15 out of 37 alleles in a family car. Well obviously individual components would be present... the individual components (alleles) are not specific to any particular person. We all share some of them, even total strangers.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »
Thanks.

- Witnesses: I don't really see what witnesses could provide beyond their rogatory interviews.

- Private investigators: possibly, but I'm not sure what they could reveal in terms of substance into what happened to Madeleine that the police aren't already aware of.

- Police: in a delicate diplomatic situation, I can't imagine how the UK police would say any more than they did in the Leveson Inquiry. I don't see how a UK public inquiry could require former PJ officers to testify, nor whether current PJ officers would admit to what they may have uncovered, either in terms of the Madeleine investigation, or in terms of the sources of half-baked myths being promoted at the time.

- Press: see Leveson Inquiry.

I don't even see the grounds for it, let alone what it could elucidate, beyond the investigations currently underway in both countries, which taxpayers are already paying for.

I would anticipate a Portuguese led inquiry with witnesses from the UK and Spain being called to testify. Those of us who have followed the case extremely closely are very aware that there is a criminal case to answer beyond Maddie's disappearance and that my friend is what worries some the most.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:48:02 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

ferryman

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
Yes, it could. Her belongings were presumably also transferred to the family's new abode, and her toys could have been taken in the car for the twins to use during outings.

The results don't even show that it was her DNA as they showed a result of 15 out of 37 alleles in a family car. Well obviously individual components would be present... the individual components (alleles) are not specific to any particular person. We all share some of them, even total strangers.

And is it not worth adding, there, that as 4 contributors to the mix are likely to have been Madeleine's direct relatives (her twin siblings and her parents)  a very high number of shared alleles is all the more likely?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
And is it not worth adding, there, that as 4 contributors to the mix are likely to have been Madeleine's direct relatives (her twin siblings and her parents)  a very high number of shared alleles is all the more likely?

Then there is the dogs and we all know what Mr Grime said about those alerts.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 02:51:49 PM »

Not just four relatives, FM. Numerous relatives came out to support them and would presumably have been in that car and transported stuff with their own DNA in that car as well. And, as relatives, they would share some of her DNA as well.

It doesn't even to be relatives: I probably share at least six alleles in common with her, and you probably do as well, and they may be different ones.

It's a non-starter.

ferryman

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »
Not just four relatives, FM. Numerous relatives came out to support them and would presumably have been in that car and transported stuff with their own DNA in that car as well. And, as relatives, they would share some of her DNA as well.

It doesn't even to be relatives: I probably share at least six alleles in common with her, and you probably do as well, and they may be different ones.

It's a non-starter.

Good point ...

ferryman

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »
Then there is the dogs and we all know what Mr Grime said about those alerts.

No evidential reliability could be placed on them ...

Harrison's penultimate sentence of his final report says tells us Harrison considered if Madeleine is dead, he considers it most likely her remains were jettisoned into the sea.

A big if ...

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 03:05:11 PM »
I would anticipate a Portuguese led inquiry with witnesses from the UK and Spain being called to testify. Those of us who have followed the case extremely closely are very aware that there is a criminal case to answer beyond Maddie's disappearance and that my friend is what worries some the most.

Aw angelo, do tell. 
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »

Aw angelo, do tell.

Metodo 3 and Correia.  In as much as who tasked them, who were they answering to and who paid them to undertake criminal activities???

Je ne regrette rien!!

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »
A PT Public Enquiry into the PJ's handling of the initial investigation, the breaches of judicial secrecy etc would have been a very good idea IMO.  Do they go in for that sort of thing in Portugal though?

Offline Carana

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
A PT Public Enquiry into the PJ's handling of the initial investigation, the breaches of judicial secrecy etc would have been a very good idea IMO.  Do they go in for that sort of thing in Portugal though?

Seemingly not. Officers get "promoted" elsewhere, or take "sabbaticals".

Offline John

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 03:57:22 PM »

The office of the Public Prosecutor has wide ranging powers in Portugal, an alternative to a full blown Legal Inquiry would be for the Prosecutor to extend the terms and scope of the current investigation to include those additional issues. He would then have the justification to compel witnesses to attend for examination and/or to undertake any reconstitution.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:01:44 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
The office of the Public Prosecutor has wide ranging powers in Portugal, an alternative to a full blown Legal Inquiry would be for the Prosecutor to extend the terms and scope of the current investigation to include those additional issues. He would then have the justification to compel witnesses to attend for examination and/or to undertake any reconstitution.

Which articles of the PT criminal process code are you referring to, John?