Author Topic: Does the Madeleine McCann case warrant a Public Inquiry?  (Read 32439 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Does the Madeleine McCann case warrant a Public Inquiry?
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2015, 10:46:32 AM »
There is a VAST amount of advances, that Portugal and Britland, could learn from this case.

1 Best practice in Portugal how to handle a missing child/kidnapped child enquiry.  No media?  Tons of media?  How about controlled media?  2015 and the nearest I get in Portugal is 'no media'.

2 Best practice UK.  Fly a helicopter over Luz.  Get a Sky News helicopter in hot pursuit.  Dig up central Luz.  Find something along the lines of a wild cannabis plant and someone's sock.

F**k me, if only the left hand knew what the right hand was doing, that would be a major improvement.

Sounds a bit like judging boxing bouts in the US. You don't have to land a punch but you must look busy!
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
There is a VAST amount of advances, that Portugal and Britland, could learn from this case.

1 Best practice in Portugal how to handle a missing child/kidnapped child enquiry.  No media?  Tons of media?  How about controlled media?  2015 and the nearest I get in Portugal is 'no media'.

2 Best practice UK.  Fly a helicopter over Luz.  Get a Sky News helicopter in hot pursuit.  Dig up central Luz.  Find something along the lines of a wild cannabis plant and someone's sock.

F**k me, if only the left hand knew what the right hand was doing, that would be a major improvement.

I see mention of a short helicopter flight over Praia da Luz and the surrounding area, I have also seen that private aviators flew in formation over the terrain in an effort to spot Madeleine.

Is there any record of a military helicopter with heat seeking equipment on board being deployed to carry out night surveillance at a time when the police were still convinced of the 'woke and wandered' theory?

An inquiry would reveal answers to questions like that.  I would also be surprised if the Portuguese authorities had not already had their own internal inquiry into the whole affair.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
Public inquiry
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A tribunal of inquiry is an official review of events or actions ordered by a government body in Common Law countries such as the United Kingdom, Ireland or Canada. Such a public inquiry differs from a Royal Commission in that a public inquiry accepts evidence and conducts its hearings in a more public forum and focuses on a more specific occurrence. Interested members of the public and organisations may not only make (written) evidential submissions as is the case with most inquiries, but also listen to oral evidence given by other parties.

Typical events for a public inquiry are those that cause multiple deaths, such as public transport crashes or mass murders. However, in the UK, the Planning Inspectorate, an agency of the Department for Communities and Local Government, routinely holds public inquiries into a range of major and lesser land use developments, including highways and other transport proposals.

Advocacy groups and opposition political parties are likely to ask for public inquiries for all manner of issues. The government of the day typically only accedes to a fraction of these requests. A public inquiry generally takes longer to report and costs more on account of its public nature. Thus when a government refuses a public inquiry on some topic, it is usually on these grounds.

The conclusions of the inquiry are delivered in the form of a written report, given first to the government, and soon after published to the public. The report will generally make recommendations to improve the quality of government or management of public organisations in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_inquiry

Public inquiries investigate issues of serious public concern, scrutinising past decisions and events. It is therefore crucial that information created or used during the course of an inquiry is managed to ensure its survival for future policy makers and researchers.

Without effective information management right from the start a public inquiry will struggle to run efficiently, justify its findings or provide a lasting record.

Public inquiries are conducted on behalf of the Crown, which therefore means that records created or given to the inquiry are public records as defined by the Public Records Act 1958. Those responsible for public records, including the chairman of a public inquiry, have a duty to make arrangements for the selection of those records which ought to be permanently preserved and for their safe-keeping. Under the Inquiry Rules 2006 it is also the responsibility of the chairman to ensure ‘the record of the inquiry is comprehensive and well-ordered’.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/manage-information/planning/public-inquiry-guidance/

Several topics treated here:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/series/publicinquiry

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:25:07 PM by Carana »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2015, 11:33:11 PM »
I see mention of a short helicopter flight over Praia da Luz and the surrounding area, I have also seen that private aviators flew in formation over the terrain in an effort to spot Madeleine.

Is there any record of a military helicopter with heat seeking equipment on board being deployed to carry out night surveillance at a time when the police were still convinced of the 'woke and wandered' theory?

An inquiry would reveal answers to questions like that.  I would also be surprised if the Portuguese authorities had not already had their own internal inquiry into the whole affair.
The helicopter farce I am talking about in mid 2014 is the SY farce.

Let me turn to 2007, and the PJ.  Were helicopters deployed on the night?  As far as I know the answer is no.

Were helicopters ever deployed?  I am confident that they were.  I am simply at a loss to understand what they hoped to achieve with them.

Were helicopters with heat-seeking equipment deployed?  From memory, Kate's book does raise this, I think.

I don't think heat-seeking helicopters ever took to the air in this case.  But if they did, what were they up against?

The Tapas restaurant was pumping out oven heat.  The Millennium was likewise.  In fact, every restaurant and bar in Luz that night (about 30) was kicking out heat signatures.

If you could screen all this out, AND Smithman is the perp, then perhaps you might see a hot and sweaty Smithman standing out above the heat signature of the Smiths. This spot would be pure genius.

To get to this point, we have to manage to exclude all the noise.  That would be folks who decided to cook at home, those who decided the barbecue was fun that evening, and those who decided to switch on their car engines and leave heat trails all over the place.

The N125 must have been alive with heat trails.  If we had time-stamped heat trail maps from that time, we would be so far forward from where we are now.

For the present, I am sticking with Heriberto that the phone maps may be a way forward.
What's up, old man?