Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 170782 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #720 on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »
He then reminded me how angry he could be if things were done without his approval, referring to the awful argument we had back in July. I was annoyed but I said nothing. I was a little concerned that he was again trying to threaten me. That type of behaviour undermined my belief in him. He then spoke about the late David Dobbins and Eugene O Mahoney and the replica gun which they had taken from his flat. He claimed that the ‘gun’ had been intact when it was taken and so he thought the damage which resulted in the exposed spring had happened after it left his possession. He also denied that it was him in the photo of the man in the gas mask posing in the SAS style photo. I reminded him that the police said he took the photo and he said ‘how could I do that?

Red flags scream out in this case!

“Jonathan Laidlaw QC, prosecuting, said Miss Dando's death was the 'not the result of a well-planned, organised assassination by either a criminal or a criminal association'.
Instead, he alleged, it was the actions of 'a loner, a man acting alone with no rational motive to kill'.
Mr Laidlaw said that over 'many years' George would approach women  -  mainly in the Fulham area  -  and 'engage them in conversation and then seek to discover where they lived and the vehicles they drove'.
'Some of the witnesses provide evidence that Barry George, having discovered where they lived, also spent time in the area of their addresses. On occasions, he was outside watching when they arrived back at their homes.
One in particular was entirely unaware of the defendant's interest in her until a document containing directions to her home was recovered at his address after his arrest.'
Mr Laidlaw said it was clear from material found at George's home in Crookham Road and from the evidence of other witnesses that he had spent 'a great deal of time watching and following single women. Whilst engaged in this pursuit he took literally thousands of photographs.'
One woman, Angela Gordon, told police how George approached her as she opened the door to her flat opposite his home and asked: 'Do you live here?' He allegedly told her he was in the SAS and asked to kiss her. Miss Gordon rebuffed his advances and fled into her home. A photograph of her car was later found on undeveloped film at George's home.
Another woman, Amanda Scriven, claimed that George would follow her on his bike as she walked from Parsons Green tube station. He did it in a manner 'designed to intimidate' and refused to stop, even when challenged. Mr Laidlaw said: 'On one occasion, he held a camera to Miss Scriven's face and took pictures until she pushed it away.'
Mr Laidlaw said a woman named Claudia Casey was also targeted in the street by George. 'She tried to get away from him by walking more quickly but he grabbed her arm and said, "But I only want to talk". She was terrified and jumped into the passenger seat of a passing car and explained to the driver what had gone on.'
Mr Laidlaw said: 'Whilst others in the Fulham area might have regarded the defendant as a lonely, harmless individual there is evidence of a more sinister aspect to his pursuit of women.
The court heard that George once had a gun which 'could have been converted into the sort of weapon which was used to kill Miss Dando'.
He enlisted for training with the Territorial Army under the name S.F. Majors in 1981. He stayed for a year and although he did not complete basic training, he attended weapons courses which involved firing, stripping and assembling selfloading rifles and machine guns.
In 1982, he was also a member of a gun club and took part in pistol shooting.
When police raided his home in 2000, they discovered a large collection of books, magazines and cards relating to guns, weapons, the military and military techniques.
There was also a photograph of George wearing a military respirator-and holding a handgun.
In about 1985 George was living in bed-and-breakfast accommodation in Gloucester Road, West London, under the name Thomas Palmer.
He showed David Dobbins, who lived there with his family, an imitation Heckler and Koch machine gun.
He showed another resident a handgun, a machine pistol and a silver-coloured handgun.
The following year the Dobbins family moved to a basement flat nearby. One evening George knocked at the door, dressed in combat gear and wearing a balaclava. He charged into the hallway holding a handgun and there was a loud bang, which caused panic.
He left, putting the gun in the waistband of his jeans.
Soon afterwards, when George was living in Crookham Road, David Dobbins broke into his flat and found both an MP5 machine gun and the handgun shown in the photograph as well as other military equipment. Mr Mahoney took the handgun and some blank ammunition, which he was able to fire in the gun.
Mr Laidlaw said it appears the silver handgun was never found and its whereabouts remain unknown.
George's story about where he was when Jill Dando was shot has changed over the years. At first, he claimed he was at home in Crookham Road, a few streets from the scene of the murder, at 11.30am, and attended a support centre for the disabled at 12.45.
But later, he made a new statement, claiming he had been at the centre all the time. The prosecution alleges he lied about his alibi and will use CCTV evidence and testimony from witnesses who saw him after the killing.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/dandos-killer-kept-photos-of-other-top-female-tv-presenters-among-thousands-of-pictures-he-hoarded-6837144.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:51:21 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #721 on: May 06, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »
”He was immediately hostile towards me. I saw red when he accused me of being a coward who used moral blackmail against him by threatening to stop the campaign and website. He was very angry over the three line letter which I had sent him. He remained hostile so I got up saying ‘I’m off, goodbye’. Unfortunately when I got to the door I couldn’t get out as I left my pass with Margaret and had to ask her to bring it. While I was waiting Margaret was engaged in an intense conversation with him. ‘If he leaves now he’ll never come back’ she said. She then called to me to come back to the table, and Barry beckoned at me to return. I relented, apologised to the friendly female prison officer and went back. Barry then apologised for ranting at me and we had some tea. The rest of the visit passed without incident but I was struck by how angry he could be. At one stage a couple of officers in dark blue uniforms entered the visiting hall and Barry said that they were the heavy mob, to deal with any aggro. He then said that he could not discuss certain matters with me as he feared that I might run to the press. I did not argue but then he said that if I did anything to damage his case he would be very angry and the anger he displayed this day would be nothing compared with what he could be like. It seemed like he was threatening me.

Barry George’s uncle Mike’s book provides much insight into the real Barry George. 

”Moral blackmail is a wrongful strategy intended to force a person to perform an act by manipulating her circumstances so as to make it morally wrong for her to do anything else. The idea of moral blackmail can seem paradoxical, but moral blackmail is a coherent and indeed a familiar phenomenon. It has special significance for our intimate personal relationships and is often a force within family dynamics. It is used to enforce power relationships within families, and in particular to uphold expectations that women and girls will do most of the work in caring for vulnerable family members. It is also used as a tool of policy makers, to transfer to families duties of care that would otherwise be discharged by the government or by society at large. It is an important but under-recognized source of ongoing manipulation and exploitation.[/i]
https://brill.com/abstract/journals/jmp/13/6/article-p699_4.xml

Emotional blackmail and FOG are terms, popularized by psychotherapist Susan Forward, about controlling people in relationships and the theory that fear, obligation, and guilt (FOG) are the transactional dynamics at play between the controller and the person being controlled. Understanding these dynamics is useful to anyone trying to extricate from the controlling behavior of another person, and deal with their own compulsions to do things that are uncomfortable, undesirable, burdensome, or self-sacrificing for others.[1][/i]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_blackmail
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:04:29 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #722 on: May 06, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »
”He was immediately hostile towards me. I saw red when he accused me of being a coward who used moral blackmail against him by threatening to stop the campaign and website. He was very angry over the three line letter which I had sent him. He remained hostile so I got up saying ‘I’m off, goodbye’. Unfortunately when I got to the door I couldn’t get out as I left my pass with Margaret and had to ask her to bring it. While I was waiting Margaret was engaged in an intense conversation with him. ‘If he leaves now he’ll never come back’ she said. She then called to me to come back to the table, and Barry beckoned at me to return. I relented, apologised to the friendly female prison officer and went back. Barry then apologised for ranting at me and we had some tea. The rest of the visit passed without incident but I was struck by how angry he could be. At one stage a couple of officers in dark blue uniforms entered the visiting hall and Barry said that they were the heavy mob, to deal with any aggro. He then said that he could not discuss certain matters with me as he feared that I might run to the press. I did not argue but then he said that if I did anything to damage his case he would be very angry and the anger he displayed this day would be nothing compared with what he could be like. It seemed like he was threatening me.

Intelligence or information like this is what organisations like MAPPA use to help them with risk assessments. The same would apply with regards Michelle Diskin Bates denial of her brothers dangerousness.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #723 on: May 06, 2019, 02:19:14 PM »
Have you not considered the reason Michelle Diskin Bates may have aligned herself with the Jeremy Bamber campaign was because she knew the Bamberettes were naive, gullible and prone to lack in judgement?

Plus she was running out of supporters. If you read her book it’s made clear; though unintentionally I imagine. But I don’t suppose she thought of these consequences when she chose to publish it. She’s made reference to many instances of where she clashed with others, including William Clegg QC.

The Barry George campaign run its course long ago. He has no where else to go, other than attempt to jump on the bandwagon of other campaigns. If you look, you will see this is what Michelle Diskin Bates and her brother have been doing for some time.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #724 on: May 06, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »

Barry George’s uncle Mike’s book provides much insight into the real Barry George. 

And regarding his niece - Michelle Diskin Bates

On the train to East Acton I read on the Evening Standard that the guestbook on Michelle’s website was inundated with congratulatory messages. I wondered if that referred to the JfB ‘site, or was there another one which we were unaware of. Meanwhile I got more congratulatory texts from reporters in Ireland.

“I felt that those media interviews were a mistake and damaged his chances of attaining public acceptance. Within two days he had been transformed from tragic miscarriage of justice victim deserving of some sympathy into something much less savoury. When I opened the JfB e-mails I saw nasty derogatory messages which were intended for Michelle, something which had rarely ever happened up to this. One told her to take her lovely brother to Ireland and to keep him there. That is the sanitised version. It was quite a contrast from the reaction which followed his 2007 victory in the appeal court.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:35:50 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #725 on: May 06, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »
Re GSR - In isolation maybe not but...

As published by John McVicar in the Telegraph:
“In our system where the accused enjoys the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof is on the prosecution, the defence can put the Crown to proof.
This is what William Clegg QC, Mr George’s counsel, did: he tested the Crown’s case but did not put forward any alternative. Mr Clegg said to the Crown: prove your case – the jury decided that the Crown failed that test.
The possibility of delivering a “not proven” verdict is not an option in England and Wales. Mr George was found “not guilty” and is therefore entitled to walk free as an innocent man.
However, it is important to note that the jury’s verdict in a case such as this may have been equivalent to a “not proven” one.
The verdict is essentially one of not meeting the “beyond reasonable doubt” burden of proof.
Indeed, this is borne out by the judge’s directions and the three questions the jury asked for direction on before acquitting Mr George.
The Crown’s case was, in the words of junior counsel Peter Ratliff, “subtle, but compelling”.
It was predicated on identification and the judge directed the jury that only after they were sure of the identification evidence could they look to the other evidence to support it.
Two witnesses saw the killer leave the scene of the crime but neither identified him as Mr George.
Their descriptions of the killer loosely fitted Mr George, so they did not completely exclude him.
The only witnesses who did identify Mr George were those who saw him hanging around near Jill Dando’s home some hours before she was murdered.
Thus, the Crown’s task was to conflate the identifications of the pre-kill witnesses with the descriptions of the two scene-of-the-crime witnesses.
The Crown did not rely on a Tommy Cooper “just like that” wave of the hand to do this but established a backdrop to the killing.
First, it claimed Miss Dando was not murdered by a Serbian hitman, an ex-boyfriend, a vengeful criminal convicted by her Crimewatch work, an obsessive and jealous fan, a thief, a crazed junkie. She was murdered by a man with an irrational motive that would appear senseless to anyone normal. A fantasist — they said Mr George was a “fantasist”, a believer in crackpot theories.
Second, they suggested the killer was a loner, not a professional killer or criminal but with knowledge of pistols, and had access to amateurish kinds of weapons (converted blank-firers, or reactivated deactivated guns). This, they said, fitted Mr George.
Third, the Crown’s case was that the killer would have had to have some experience in following and observing women without their being aware.
They said Mr George’s hobby was to track, stalk and sometimes attack women in the Fulham area and there was a mass of evidence.
Fourth, as Miss Dando was not followed when driving to her home that morning (conclusively shown by the CCTV from numerous vantage points) and as her visits to her home were unpredictable (she was living at her fiancé’s house) the killer would have had to hang around her home in Gowan Avenue.
The jury appeared to accept from their questions after retirement that Mr George was in Gowan Avenue the Monday morning that she was killed.
There were four witnesses who identified Mr George as being in Gowan Avenue that morning.
The first, Susan Mayes, was rock solid on identifying him at being opposite Miss Dando’s house at 7am.
The jury was directed by the judge to look at her evidence first and only if they believed it to move on to the other witnesses.
The jury came out on their second day of retirement and asked to see the video of her identification of Mr George and to listen to the evidence she gave in the witness box.
They went back to their deliberations and came out, three hours later, and asked the judge to go through the evidence of the descriptions given by the two scene-of-the-crime witnesses.
As their directions were that they must acquit if they were not sure about Miss Mayes identifying Mr George, this must have meant they had agreed he was in Gowan Avenue that morning.
They then came out at noon on Friday with a question about the other three witnesses who made “partial identifications” of Mr George.
The judge directed that they could use video evidence of the partial identifications as support for Susan Mayes’s identification but they could “not convert two or more partial identifications into a positive identification”. An hour later they reached their verdict.
Crown counsel Jonathon Laidlaw’s last comment in his closing speech was “We suggest that this is no coincidence.” If they did think about the coincidences, the jury clearly did not think they defied common sense.
On the other hand, they may not have seen the subtlety of the Crown’s case. Who knows, except them?
But it doesn’t matter, the die is cast and cannot be un-cast.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2491147/Analysis-Twists-and-turns-that-enabled-Barry-George-to-walk-free.html

Mike Bourke;
It was pointed out by John McVicar that under Scottish law the jury would have had the option of a ‘not proven’ verdict. ‘Not Proven’ is basically an acquittal and was described in 1824 by novelist and Sheriff Sir Walter Scott as ‘That b........ verdict, not proven’. I feel it was a little mean of McVicar to try and muddy the waters with such tripe, which has no relevance in English law. Barry was found Not Guilty. What could be clearer?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn that Barry George and his uncle Mike are once again estranged. Wonder if he’s changed his mind about his nephews guilt?

In her book Stand Against Injustice Michelle Diskin Bates states her uncle Mike would probably support Barry George even if he were innocent.

The way I interpreted what she wrote and the context in which she wrote it, was as if she were attempting to claim some perceived higher moral ground.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:59:49 PM by Nicholas »

Offline WHM

« Reply #726 on: May 06, 2019, 03:05:38 PM »
Hi,
New poster. I, like many others believed the spin that Barry George was just an eccentric who'd been unfairly scapegoated by the police.

After reading up on this case and getting acquainted with the facts after the recent BBC doc aired, I now think it's almost certain that Barry George killed Jill Dando. It's just unfortunate that the police didn't look into him soon enough, giving him of plenty of time to dispose of the murder weapon and other incriminating material.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #727 on: May 06, 2019, 03:23:16 PM »
Hi,
New poster. I, like many others believed the spin that Barry George was just an eccentric who'd been unfairly scapegoated by the police.

After reading up on this case and getting acquainted with the facts after the recent BBC doc aired, I now think it's almost certain that Barry George killed Jill Dando. It's just unfortunate that the police didn't look into him soon enough, giving him of plenty of time to dispose of the murder weapon and other incriminating material.

8((()*/
 Welcome again  ()678%

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #728 on: May 06, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
Hi,

The barrister for Barry George, cleared of killing presenter Jill Dando, has warned that huge publicity can distort investigations into high-profile cases.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7538683.stm

Huge publicity can also distort spin from the truth.  Though you won’t hear that from William Clegg because his job is to defend his client.

Mr Clegg told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "All these cases that attract widespread publicity put huge pressure on the police and the prosecuting authorities to try to find the perpetrator and I sometimes feel that that pressure distorts the objectivity that would otherwise be present, were the publicity to be absent."

Clever use of words

Contempt of court was an issue the prosecuting authorities were faced with in this case.

One juror in particular springs to mind. I do hope she’s not been allowed on jury service since. I also hope she isn’t working with vulnerable individuals.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:55:10 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #729 on: May 06, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »
Mr Clegg told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "All these cases that attract widespread publicity put huge pressure on the police and the prosecuting authorities to try to find the perpetrator and I sometimes feel that that pressure distorts the objectivity that would otherwise be present, were the publicity to be absent."

And statements like this were manipulated by Barry George and his campaign in order to suit their agenda.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #730 on: May 06, 2019, 03:57:46 PM »
Hi,

Hi WHM and welcome to the forum  8((()*/

Jill's property at Gowan Ave was either on the market or about to go on the market.  She lived in the main with her fiancee, Alan Farthing, at his home in Chiswick.  Given she only visited Gowan Ave very infrequently on random days/times how would anyone know when she was going to turn up, including BG?

If we are to believe BG was responsible, which I do not, then we have to believe he was not only lucky in arriving just as Jill pulled up but that he also had a lucky escape too.  Imo this is too much luck to be true. 

I would suggest the murder was planned in great detail over many weeks, or longer, by an accomplished network of individuals with considerable experience in covert surveillance, procuring firearms and ammo and planning and executing such crimes undetected.  The murder was carried out with military style precision except imo the perps were not military trained but terrorist trained.   

The fact a man was seen living 29 Gowan Ave shortly after Jill's neighbour heard Jill pull up, set her car alarm followed by a scream does not mean the man was acting alone.  Imo others were in the vicinity tracking Jill's movements electronically, acting as distractors in the event of anyone entering the zone during the crucial period and providing getaway transport. 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #731 on: May 06, 2019, 04:03:28 PM »
Hi WHM and welcome to the forum  8((()*/

Jill's property at Gowan Ave was either on the market or about to go on the market.  She lived in the main with her fiancee, Alan Farthing, at his home in Chiswick.  Given she only visited Gowan Ave very infrequently on random days/times how would anyone know when she was going to turn up, including BG?

If we are to believe BG was responsible, which I do not, then we have to believe he was not only lucky in arriving just as Jill pulled up but that he also had a lucky escape too.  Imo this is too much luck to be true. 

I would suggest the murder was planned in great detail over many weeks, or longer, by an accomplished network of individuals with considerable experience in covert surveillance, procuring firearms and ammo and planning and executing such crimes undetected.  The murder was carried out with military style precision except imo the perps were not military trained but terrorist trained.   

The fact a man was seen living 29 Gowan Ave shortly after Jill's neighbour heard Jill pull up, set her car alarm followed by a scream does not mean the man was acting alone.  Imo others were in the vicinity tracking Jill's movements electronically, acting as distractors in the event of anyone entering the zone during the crucial period and providing getaway transport.

This thread is for facts not conspiracy theories. Please post on the threads you’ve started, otherwise what was the point in starting them in the first place.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #732 on: May 06, 2019, 04:07:31 PM »
I’d be interested in learning more about David Dobbins

“A witness in the Jill Dando trial who gave important evidence against Barry George, the man convicted of the murder of the television presenter, has been found hanged at his home, it emerged yesterday.
David Dobbins, 30, was discovered by a relative on Thursday at his flat in Fulham, south-west London. It is understood he had been suffering from depression.
He had given evidence which showed that George was a fantasist who owned weapons which he liked to show to local children. During tense moments at the Old Bailey, he told the court how George had stormed into his home one evening dressed in combat gear and then fired at the ceiling with a pistol.
Mr Dobbins befriended George in the mid-1980s when they lived in the Stanhope Gardens Hotel, a bed and breakfast hostel in Kensington, west London. At the time Mr Dobbins was 13. George had just been released from prison after a conviction for attempted rape.
“Mr Dobbins had told the trial that he knew George as Thomas Palmer, the name of an SAS soldier involved in the rescue of hostages from the Iranian embassy siege of 1980.
He told the jury that George owned an imitation Heckler and Koch MP5 machine gun, and a blank-firing handgun, as well as "a few knives".
Mr Dobbins's family moved to another address in 1986, but George continued to see them. Mr Dobbins had recalled how he heard a noise outside the basement flat and opened the door to investigate. "I saw Mr Palmer. He pushed his way in with a handgun and he discharged a shot. It was pretty scary. It was like he was trying to frighten us."
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2001/aug/21/broadcasting.jilldando
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:10:58 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #733 on: May 06, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »

Mike Bourke
”Barry denied during police questioning that it was him in the photograph, and claimed the gun; a blank firing replica was stolen by his friend David Dobbins
In evidence David Dobbins described an incident where Barry discharged a blank firing pistol at David’s mother’s house, frightening him. David admitted that following his frightening experience he chatted with Barry, his friend, for about an hour.

“During August it was reported that David Dobbins, a friend of Barry’s who became a prosecution witness had hanged himself, preceded by his brother. I was told that David was depressed but I do not know if his giving evidence against Barry contributed to his unfortunate death. Finally on September 2nd a visiting order arrived.

“I was a little concerned that he was again trying to threaten me. That type of behaviour undermined my belief in him. He then spoke about the late David Dobbins and Eugene O Mahoney and the replica gun which they had taken from his flat. He claimed that the ‘gun’ had been intact when it was taken and so he thought the damage which resulted in the exposed spring had happened after it left his possession.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:17:00 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #734 on: May 06, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »

“A witness in the Jill Dando trial who gave important evidence against Barry George, the man convicted of the murder of the television presenter, has been found hanged at his home, it emerged yesterday.
David Dobbins, 30, was discovered by a relative on Thursday at his flat in Fulham, south-west London. It is understood he had been suffering from depression.
He had given evidence which showed that George was a fantasist who owned weapons which he liked to show to local children. During tense moments at the Old Bailey, he told the court how George had stormed into his home one evening dressed in combat gear and then fired at the ceiling with a pistol.
Mr Dobbins befriended George in the mid-1980s when they lived in the Stanhope Gardens Hotel, a bed and breakfast hostel in Kensington, west London. At the time Mr Dobbins was 13. George had just been released from prison after a conviction for attempted rape.
“Mr Dobbins had told the trial that he knew George as Thomas Palmer, the name of an SAS soldier involved in the rescue of hostages from the Iranian embassy siege of 1980.
He told the jury that George owned an imitation Heckler and Koch MP5 machine gun, and a blank-firing handgun, as well as "a few knives".
Mr Dobbins's family moved to another address in 1986, but George continued to see them. Mr Dobbins had recalled how he heard a noise outside the basement flat and opened the door to investigate. "I saw Mr Palmer. He pushed his way in with a handgun and he discharged a shot. It was pretty scary. It was like he was trying to frighten us."
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2001/aug/21/broadcasting.jilldando

David Dobbins, who was then aged 13, was also living there with his family. "He recalls the defendant showing him an imitation Heckler & Koch machine gun and a gas mask," said counsel.

"He told Susan Combe, another resident, that he collected guns and showed her a handgun and a machine pistol.

"She once went to his room and was shown a third gun which was kept in a small cardboard box. It was silver in colour, highly polished and smaller than the other two weapons she had seen."

Mr Pownall said the Dobbins family moved to a basement flat in Pelham street and one evening, there was a knock on the door.

He added: "It was the defendant, who was dressed in combat gear and wearing a balaclava.

"He entered into the hallway holding a handgun and there was a loud bang. After the initial panic resulting from his arrival had subsided, the defendant removed the balaclava and showed those present the gun.

"The defendant also took blank firing rounds of ammunition from his pocket and showed them to David Dobbins. They were gold in colour and there was no head.

"The tops of the cases were flat and covered with a coloured wax. When he left the flat he placed a hundgun in the waistband of his jeans."

In 1987/8, George was living in Crookham Road when David Dobbins, Eugene Mahoney and two other friends went to the flat and climbed in through an open window.

"The defendant was not in and they stole the blank firing pistol and imitation Heckler & Koch machine pistol," said Mr Pownall.

"It appears that they did not find the silver coloured handgun in the shoebox described by Susan Coombe.

"The present whereabouts of that gun are unknown."

Mr Dobbins was shown a number of photographs developed by police from negatives found at George's home which showed George "wearing a respirator and holding a gun".

"He identified the gun as the one he had seen used by the defendant on the occasion that he entered the Pelham Road address and discharged a blank round," said Mr Pownall.

"A firearms expert has looked at the photographs. Certain features enable him to identify it as a Bruni blank firing pistol. Part of the frame has been cut away exposing the spring mechanism.

"I told you (the jury) earlier that the gun used to kill Miss Dando had a smooth-bored barrel which had either been converted from a blank-firing pistol to one capable of firing bullets or a deactivated weapon which had been similarly converted.

"In due course, you may wish to consider why the defendant appears to have altered the structure of the Bruni pistol."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-43483/Dando-killed-single-bullet.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:10:57 PM by Nicholas »