Author Topic: Has the University of Bristol Innocence Project lost its way?  (Read 3916 times)

Offline John

Has the University of Bristol Innocence Project lost its way?
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:01:09 AM »
I must admit I am no fan of the University of Bristol Innocence Project since I found out that they are now quite prepared to act on behalf of career criminals.  There was a time a few years ago when the Project would only act for the truly innocent.

UoBIP has had little or no success in having any cases let alone high profile cases successfully appealed so one really must ask what function they serve?  Have they now become the port of last resort for hopeless cases?

The Project looked at the Simon Hall case some years ago and managed to get it to the CCRC and thereafter the Court of Appeal on the basis that the fibres evidence was flawed. The Court rejected the experts submissions and upheld the conviction.  The Project were then sacked by Hall whose wife went on to criticise their efforts.   She later went to great pains to explain that the Project were negligent and lacking in their efforts and never looked into the case properly.  She claimed that many of the documents had never even been looked at.

Last year Hall sacked his lawyer (Coreena Platt @Stephensons) and went cap in hand back to the Project who again took up the challenge.  We now learn that Simon Hall was economical with the truth in relation to what he and his friend were up to in Ipswich on the morning that Mrs Albert was murdered and has in fact now admitted on his website to burgling premises and stealing CD players.

One wonders how this new information will effect the work being undertaken by the students at the Project as they insist they will only spent time for those who are truly of good standing otherwise they will simply walk away?

Only time will judge!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:06:44 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Padgates staff

Re: Has the University of Bristol Innocence Project lost its way?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
This is what I heard at the miscarriages day and the amount of groups claiming to help potential miscarriages fair no better, you only have to look at JENGbA who had the a case worker claiming to be a miscarriage when he clearly isn't.
I now understand the amount of work involved to try and prove a miscarriage and I think when you're a genuine miscarriage case and not having been in this situation before, I can imagine if they appear to be the light at the end of the tunnel, people readily accept their help in good faith , not knowing it's going to be akin to chasing your tail (if you're Padgate!).
I think I'd probably get a solicitor in the field of the crime the accused was in and work with them to get as much evidence as possible together.

Perhaps Bristol Innocence haven't see the various websites that things have been posted on. I only know Ipswich police have because they told me when I spoke to them. I'd have thought they would however, check Simon's website but perhaps they don't.

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
This is what I heard at the miscarriages day and the amount of groups claiming to help potential miscarriages fair no better, you only have to look at JENGbA who had the a case worker claiming to be a miscarriage when he clearly isn't.
I now understand the amount of work involved to try and prove a miscarriage and I think when you're a genuine miscarriage case and not having been in this situation before, I can imagine if they appear to be the light at the end of the tunnel, people readily accept their help in good faith , not knowing it's going to be akin to chasing your tail (if you're Padgate!).
I think I'd probably get a solicitor in the field of the crime the accused was in and work with them to get as much evidence as possible together.

Perhaps Bristol Innocence haven't see the various websites that things have been posted on. I only know Ipswich police have because they told me when I spoke to them. I'd have thought they would however, check Simon's website but perhaps they don't.

A group of wet behind the ears students is the last place I would ever want my own case to be.  Who benefits from their work anyway?  They do!   I personally feel academics should keep their nose out of what goes on in the real world.  Best they stick to the classroom.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline devils advocate

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »

A group of wet behind the ears students is the last place I would ever want my own case to be.  Who benefits from their work anyway?  They do!   I personally feel academics should keep their nose out of what goes on in the real world.  Best they stick to the classroom.

Dr Naughton and his pet project have much to prove and a high profile success would go down quite nicely.   I am not surprised that he took on the Hall case but I fear it may turn out to be his Waterloo>   8(0(*

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »
We must not forget that the UOBIP is also taking forward the case of self-confessed car thief William Beck in an attempt to overturn his conviction for armed robbery of a mail van in Livingston on 16 December 1981.

Of five eyewitnesses to the robbery, only two picked out Mr Beck at an identity parade.  Only two??   @)(++(*

The team at Bristol concluded that it was not possible to conclude beyond reasonable doubt that a miscarriage of justice did not occur.   8(0(*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14582866

Padgates staff

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:08:43 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/jan/09/innocence-project-conviction-hilary-swank
"If Simon Hall's conviction is overturned it will be a milestone in the history of the Innocence Project in Britain and it will inevitably spotlight the campaigning work that the projects have been doing for the past six years; some day it may even spawn a film."
http://l2b.thelawyer.com/bristol-innocence-project-loses-simon-hall-appeal/1006622.article
"The University of Bristol Innocence Project (UoBIP) was dealt a bitter blow today (14 January) after its fight against a man’s murder conviction failed.
UoBIP had been working to overturn Simon Hall’s conviction for the murder of 79-year-old Joan Albert for the past five years....."