Author Topic: The Brexit deal's been done!  (Read 17213 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: The Brexit deal's been done!
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2021, 06:27:13 PM »
I watched a televised session of Westminster Parliamentary debate  just a few weeks ago. There was a Scottish  Westminster member raising the issue of the lorry loads of rotting Scottish seafood, rotting because of the new post Brexit red tape, and how this would impact on his constituents.
Jacob Rees -Mogg disparagingly dismissed the concerns and ended his remarks by saying how much happier the fish in our waters would be now that they are British fish.
And thus the desire for independence grows.
The fishing communities may also follow your farming kin.

Scottish seafood or British seafood? I've been watching a series about Cornish fishermen who have also had problems getting their British produce into the EU. They didn't seem to be blaming the Westminster government, however. It seems the French have a hand in the delays. Did they neglect to prepare for Brexit properly or could they be making a 'fishing' point, I wonder?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2021, 06:44:59 PM »
Scottish seafood or British seafood? I've been watching a series about Cornish fishermen who have also had problems getting their British produce into the EU. They didn't seem to be blaming the Westminster government, however. It seems the French have a hand in the delays. Did they neglect to prepare for Brexit properly or could they be making a 'fishing' point, I wonder?
At least one of them isn’t very happy...
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1393497/Brexit-news-EU-fishing-quotas-industry-red-tape-cornwall-export
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »
At least one of them isn’t very happy...
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1393497/Brexit-news-EU-fishing-quotas-industry-red-tape-cornwall-export

Yes, he mentions the French delays;

“Now, it’s getting pulled up in Boulogne and turned away for the smallest thing.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2021, 08:39:57 PM »
Yes, he mentions the French delays;

“Now, it’s getting pulled up in Boulogne and turned away for the smallest thing.
you seem to have overlooked this quote from the fisherman

Mr Trust – who voted for Brexit in 2016 – said the Leave campaign has duped them.

He continued: “When they were talking about increasing the quotas, making our own decisions, that sounded good.

“And they had a big red bus which said they’d fund the NHS, that sounded good.

“I fell for it. I didn’t realise and I’m shooting myself in the bloody foot.”

He added if there was another Brexit referendum, he would vote to Remain.

Mr Trust added: “Given a second chance, I wouldn’t have voted for it.

“It’s totally b....red me up and it’s geared for people selling multiple tonnes of fish.

“It will cost jobs.”
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2021, 08:50:21 PM »

Definitely Scottish seafood .
Much like Scots whisky or would you prefer that to be British whisky?
The delays were at Dover caused by the unpreparedness of the authorities on this side of the channel
No comment about Jacob Rees-Moggs glib and sneering reply to a concerned member of parliament?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2021, 10:06:11 PM »
Definitely Scottish seafood .
Much like Scots whisky or would you prefer that to be British whisky?
The delays were at Dover caused by the unpreparedness of the authorities on this side of the channel
No comment about Jacob Rees-Moggs glib and sneering reply to a concerned member of parliament?

Scots whisky and cornish pasties are both made in regions of the United Kingdom.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2021, 10:15:28 PM »
Scots whisky and cornish pasties are both made in regions of the United Kingdom.
What about Welsh Lamb, is that not a thing?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2021, 10:17:04 PM »

Ah I forgot you do not recognise Scotland as a nation or country just a region of the UK.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
Ah I forgot you do not recognise Scotland as a nation or country just a region of the UK.

Scotland may be both, but it's legally a part of the United Kingdom and has been for over 200 years.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2021, 09:56:02 AM »
Scotland may be both, but it's legally a part of the United Kingdom and has been for over 200 years.
As I recall Britain was legally a part of the EU for 50-ish years, and your point is...?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2021, 12:38:39 PM »
As I recall Britain was legally a part of the EU for 50-ish years, and your point is...?

No, that was the UK. It was also slightly different because there was always the choice to exit.

Britain = England and Wales
Great Britain = England, Wales and Scotland
UK = England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2021, 12:51:23 PM »
No, that was the UK. It was also slightly different because there was always the choice to exit.

Britain = England and Wales
Great Britain = England, Wales and Scotland
UK = England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The choice to exit was only made available when there was a referendum, which is what the Scottish have had and which they want again, based on the fact that they have had to leave the EU with the rest of the UK.  I think that's fair enough.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2021, 08:28:25 PM »
The choice to exit was only made available when there was a referendum, which is what the Scottish have had and which they want again, based on the fact that they have had to leave the EU with the rest of the UK.  I think that's fair enough.

It was always possible to leave and a referendum wasn't required, that was a choice made by the PM. The process of leaving was made clearer and easier by Article 50.

Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union, enacted by the Treaty of Lisbon on 1 December 2009, introduced for the first time a procedure for a member state to withdraw voluntarily from the EU.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_from_the_European_Union#Background

As far as I know there is no process in place for leaving the United Kingdom. At the moment the Scottish government and the SNP seem to have their hands full with the Salmond affair.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2021, 08:34:14 PM »
It was always possible to leave and a referendum wasn't required, that was a choice made by the PM. The process of leaving was made clearer and easier by Article 50.

Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union, enacted by the Treaty of Lisbon on 1 December 2009, introduced for the first time a procedure for a member state to withdraw voluntarily from the EU.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_from_the_European_Union#Background

As far as I know there is no process in place for leaving the United Kingdom. At the moment the Scottish government and the SNP seem to have their hands full with the Salmond affair.
Are you suggesting that prior to December 2009 it would not have been possible to exit the EU?  The process for leaving the UK starts with “the will of the people” and the rest follows on from there.  Where there’s a will there’s a way.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »

"which is what the Scottish have had and which they want again,"  to send them home wards to think again? lmao

Erngath and her millions of followers tell you sush?

OK lets look at them stats -shall we?

1.There was a referendum asking Scottish people if they wanted to stay in the Union or leave. The MAJORITY voted to stay.
2. The SNPEEE party only has a majority thanks to the Green snowflake party. Shock news just in- the SNP do not have  a mandate to  order another referendum because they are not the voice of the MAJORITY of the people of Scotland just a majority of those who bothered to vote. different thing altogether.

3 Scotland was NEVER in the EU as a nation and was never recognised as a separate nation within the EU. It was the UK with the clout of England which got the UK into the Common Market. Therefore, all this talk about taking the Scottish people out of the EU against their will is  farcical and blatant lies. The Scots were not offered a separate vote to stay or leave the EU based on the information I have just given.

The poor voting is down to the appalling state of the country and the offerings of quality politicians . who should Scots vote for? Liebour- the marxist agenda, The conservatives stiil ,in the central belt ,a hated idea due to the Irish republican's second third gen, and SNP.. with their equality and diversity= taking over free speech , using the courts to silence critics? oh the Scottish Nasty party is still lifting their skirts to show the world  the intention of their dirty deeds!

I hope of all hope the decent men and women in those parties will stand as independents and stop this charade of self serving ,self promoting power seeking.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin