Author Topic: SY Crimewatch Smithman Efits  (Read 54936 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: SY Crimewatch Smithman Efits
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 04:39:42 PM »
Nope.  You're better placed to know how to access these sites, or if they even exist.  Better still you can tell us if the PJ have circulated any sort of information about the Smithman e-fits either in PdL or anywhere in Portugal, either in the form of  a press conference, media appeal, a poster or flyer or whatever.  If they haven't, then what conclusions may we draw, if any?

That the SY thought a UK citizen was more likely to recognise this man because he isn't Portuguese?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
Nope.  You're better placed to know how to access these sites, or if they even exist.  Better still you can tell us if the PJ have circulated any sort of information about the Smithman e-fits either in PdL or anywhere in Portugal, either in the form of  a press conference, media appeal, a poster or flyer or whatever.  If they haven't, then what conclusions may we draw, if any?
Thanks for your reply.

I now know that such sites may or may not exist, and hence the purpose thereof has not yet been ascertained.

I have no information as to whether the PJ have circulated information about the Smithman e-fits, nor whether they have been requested to do so, nor whether it fits in with Portuguese law.

Until and unless we can find such a site, and evaluate what is put up in broadly similar cases (if such exist) then no conclusions can be drawn, other than that we have not found such a site.

The Smithman e-fits were prominent in Portuguese media around the time of the Crimewatch programme.  As far as I can tell, based on the ones I have seen, there was no request to get in touch with SY if Portuguese people recognised the man, nor information on how to do so.

The Sun visited Luz around that time and put up posters of the e-fits, with contact numbers.  Since both the English and Portuguese versions made the man a SUSPECT, the chances of getting a response were minimal.
What's up, old man?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 05:26:24 PM »
That the SY thought a UK citizen was more likely to recognise this man because he isn't Portuguese?
I was asking why the PJ might not have circulated the images, not the Met.

Offline Carana

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »
I was asking why the PJ might not have circulated the images, not the Met.

Which photos? The PJ site still had her original little girl photo online the last I looked.

ETA: Just went to check again... no photo, but an interesting statement:

> Madeleine McCann

À semelhança do que sucede com todos os casos de crianças desaparecidas, não obstante o arquivamento formal do inquérito relativo ao seu desaparecimento, e como sempre foi publicamente afirmado, a Polícia Judiciária continuou a estar atenta a toda e qualquer informação suscetível de permitir conhecer o paradeiro da menor Madeleine McCann, as circunstâncias em que ocorreu o seu desaparecimento e a identidade do(s) seu(s) autor(es).

Com esse objetivo, pelo Diretor Nacional da Polícia Judiciária, em março de 2011, foi atribuída a uma equipa de investigadores da Diretoria do Norte a missão de reanalisar todo o vasto conjunto de informação constante do inquérito, com o objetivo de identificar aquela cujo aprofundamento se revelasse útil e possível.

Esse trabalho de reanálise, que decorreu durante os últimos dois anos e meio, permitiu conhecer novos indícios que, impondo a continuação da investigação, preenchem os requisitos estabelecidos pelo artº 279º nº 1 do Código de Processo Penal para a reabertura do inquérito.

Feita proposta em conformidade ao Exmo. Procurador da República na comarca de Portimão, foi a mesma deferida.

24 de Outubro de 2013

http://www.policiajudiciaria.pt/PortalWeb/page/%7B6342215A-BA20-42A9-B6E4-C327199B0BDA%7D

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 05:41:38 PM »
Which photos? The PJ site still had her original little girl photo online the last I looked.

ETA: Just went to check again... no photo, but an interesting statement:

> Madeleine McCann

À semelhança do que sucede com todos os casos de crianças desaparecidas, não obstante o arquivamento formal do inquérito relativo ao seu desaparecimento, e como sempre foi publicamente afirmado, a Polícia Judiciária continuou a estar atenta a toda e qualquer informação suscetível de permitir conhecer o paradeiro da menor Madeleine McCann, as circunstâncias em que ocorreu o seu desaparecimento e a identidade do(s) seu(s) autor(es).

Com esse objetivo, pelo Diretor Nacional da Polícia Judiciária, em março de 2011, foi atribuída a uma equipa de investigadores da Diretoria do Norte a missão de reanalisar todo o vasto conjunto de informação constante do inquérito, com o objetivo de identificar aquela cujo aprofundamento se revelasse útil e possível.

Esse trabalho de reanálise, que decorreu durante os últimos dois anos e meio, permitiu conhecer novos indícios que, impondo a continuação da investigação, preenchem os requisitos estabelecidos pelo artº 279º nº 1 do Código de Processo Penal para a reabertura do inquérito.

Feita proposta em conformidade ao Exmo. Procurador da República na comarca de Portimão, foi a mesma deferida.

24 de Outubro de 2013

http://www.policiajudiciaria.pt/PortalWeb/page/%7B6342215A-BA20-42A9-B6E4-C327199B0BDA%7D
I was referring to the e-fits, not photos.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 05:44:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I now know that such sites may or may not exist, and hence the purpose thereof has not yet been ascertained.

I have no information as to whether the PJ have circulated information about the Smithman e-fits, nor whether they have been requested to do so, nor whether it fits in with Portuguese law.

Until and unless we can find such a site, and evaluate what is put up in broadly similar cases (if such exist) then no conclusions can be drawn, other than that we have not found such a site.

The Smithman e-fits were prominent in Portuguese media around the time of the Crimewatch programme.  As far as I can tell, based on the ones I have seen, there was no request to get in touch with SY if Portuguese people recognised the man, nor information on how to do so.

The Sun visited Luz around that time and put up posters of the e-fits, with contact numbers.  Since both the English and Portuguese versions made the man a SUSPECT, the chances of getting a response were minimal.
"The Smithman e-fits were prominent in Portuguese media around the time of the Crimewatch programme."
Do you have a link to one of those portuguese media articles please?

"The Sun visited Luz around that time and put up posters of the e-fits"
But those posters failed to state the sighting location.
They were just vague "have you seen this man".
They should have given the sighting location.

Offline Anna

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 05:53:05 PM »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline mercury

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:03:51 PM by mercury »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
If anyone can show me any appeal in the portuguese language which shows the smithman efits and states the sighting location I will buy them a very large virtual Amereto.

Offline mercury

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 08:56:21 PM »
If anyone can show me any appeal in the portuguese language which shows the smithman efits and states the sighting location I will buy them a very large virtual Amereto.

Never read about an appeal per se, but the story (Crimewatch prog) was in many PT papers including the English Portugal resident with efits

But Alfred says it's none of our business anyway

Offline pegasus

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
Never read about an appeal per se, but the story (Crimewatch prog) was in many PT papers including the English Portugal resident with efits ...(snip)
If so can you post a link? If it is in portuguese language, states the sighting location, and shows the efits, you get a virtual almond bitter liqueor (as served on wed 2nd May until 00H00/00H10)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:22:24 PM by pegasus »

Offline mercury

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »
If so can you post a link? If it is in portuguese language, states the sighting location, and shows the efits, you get a virtual almond bitter liqueor (as served on wed 2nd May until 00H00/00H10)
They all showed the efits, though not found one yet for time or location but I haven't looked very far, will give it a try

Offline mercury

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 10:08:14 PM »
They all showed the efits, though not found one yet for time or location but I haven't looked very far, will give it a try

Sorry, had a good stab, found nothing, but what's the significance of the Pt media not publicising all the Crimewatch details...

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
Sorry, had a good stab, found nothing, but what's the significance of the Pt media not publicising all the Crimewatch details...

I think in some people's eyes it excuses the lack of prominence of the e-fits on FM site.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:19 PM »
Imagine there was a portuguese tourist, who does not understand english, walking down that section of Rua Escola and Travessa Das Escadhinas at about 10pm carrying his sleeping daughter.

Imagine he reads all the portuguese language pages on the official MF site, and all the portuguese pages on the SY site. Show me the page where he will read the street names and his own description so that he comes forward. And if he turns on the television, might he see the portuguese language translation of Crimewatch? Unfortunately not, because when the portuguese broadcasters tried, the BBC for legal reasons refused permission. So how exactly is this man supposed to know SY want to contact him? Learn english so he can read the appeals? Become a psychic? Guess?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:01:17 AM by pegasus »