Author Topic: Sunday Times sued by McCanns  (Read 43347 times)

Offline sadie

Sunday Times sued by McCanns
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/sunday-times-sued-mccanns-over-story-which-wrongly-claimed-evidence-was-withheld-police

Sunday Times sued by McCanns over story which wrongly claimed evidence was withheld from police

PressGazette
William Turvill
19 September 2014

The parents of missing child Madeleine McCann have sued The Sunday Times for libel over a story which they said gave the impression they had hindered the investigation into her disappearance.

According to publisher News UK the claim has been settled.

Kate and Gerry McCann took issue with a front-page story from last year, which the couple said suggested they had kept "secret from investigating authorities a crucial piece of evidence concerning the disappearance of their daughter".

In addition to the article, which was published on 27 October and remained online until 8 November, the McCanns also made reference to readers' comments left on the article - in High Court papers seen by Press Gazette.

The story, for which the paper apologised on 28 December, said: “The critical new evidence at the centre of Scotland Yard’s search for Madeleine McCann was kept secret for five years after it was presented to her parents by ex-MI5 investigators.”

The title reported that an intelligence report produced for the McCanns contained “crucial E-Fits” of a man who was identified as the prime suspect last year. The paper said that the “McCanns and their advisers sidelined the report and threatened to sue its authors if they divulged its contents”.

The Insight story also quoted a source close to the McCanns as saying that the report was “hyper-critical of the people involved”.

In their claim form, in which they were claiming unspecified damages, the McCanns said that the story was understood to mean that they had hindered "the search for [Madeleine] and the investigation into her disappearance by allowing the trail to go cold".

They said that the story led to them having “suffered serious damage to their reputations and severe embarrassment and distress”.

They also claimed that the paper's Insight team, which wrote the story, had not told their spokesman the full extent of the allegations which were to be made against them.

The McCanns also said that the story did not include several points made to Insight by their spokesman. They said this denied them "a proper opportunity to inform the readers of The Sunday Times of the falsity of the allegations against them".

On 1 November, the couple sent editor Martin Ivens an email headed: “Complaint letter – urgent”.

They said that the email, outlining what was wrong with the story with a “detailed rebuttal”, was responded to by executive editor Bob Tyrer six days later.

The McCanns said in their claim form that he told them “we could have made some facts clearer in the story” and that “we could have published more of your pre-publication statement” but largely rejected their complaint.

They said Tyrer offered them “three limited revisions” to the online article, publication of the statement from their spokesman and “an extremely limited” clarification in the corrections and clarifications column.

On 8 November Gerry McCann wrote back noting his disappointment that the article remained online and he pointed to the readers’ comments below.

The McCanns then consulted lawyers Carter Ruck, who wrote to The Sunday Times on 15 November “with proposed wording for an apology”.

The Sunday Times published the following apology on 28 December:

In articles dated October 27 ("Madeleine clues hidden for 5 years" and "Investigators had E-Fits five years ago", News) we referred to efits which were included in a report prepared by private investigators for the McCanns and the Fund in 2008. We accept that the articles may have been understood to suggest that the McCanns had withheld information from the authorities. This was not the case. We now understand and accept that the efits had been provided to the Portuguese and Leicestershire police by October 2009. We also understand that a copy of the final report including the efits was passed to the Metropolitan police in August 2011, shortly after it commenced its review. We apologise for the distress caused."

Good, I am glad they are going after people who are putting out false information.

stephen25000

Re: Sunday Times sued by McCanns
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
Why didn't the mccanns publish the photos themselves ?

They had no excuses not to do so, if they genuinely wished to find their daughter.

I wonder what 'damages' they were awarded, and where the money went to, since the fund has now become redundant. &%+((£
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:45:08 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline John

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »
The Sunday Times made a right dogs dinner of this story.  There is case to answer as to why e-fits created in 2007 of a suspect were never made available to the wider public until late last year. 

Why were these e-fits withheld, by whom and on whose advice?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
The Sunday Times made a right dogs dinner of this story.  There is case to answer as to why e-fits created in 2007 of a suspect were never made available to the wider public until late last year. 

If these efits were constructed as a result of the Smiths' sighting, which Smith or Smiths co-operated in generating them?
The three Smith statements we have seen state that none could describe the face of the man seen.  There was also a bit of a press furore generated by the request made to the Smiths by McCann representatives for such assistance.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
I remember saying at the time that the mccans would sue...whilst the doubters were claiming that the ST's legal team would have checked the story out...I'm proved right once again

Offline Anna

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 04:02:31 PM »
If these efits were constructed as a result of the Smiths' sighting, which Smith or Smiths co-operated in generating them?
The three Smith statements we have seen state that none could describe the face of the man seen.  There was also a bit of a press furore generated by the request made to the Smiths by McCann representatives for such assistance.

You are correct Brietta.....How could they do an efit, maybe it was someone else.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:35:03 PM by John »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Brietta

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:12:59 PM »

You are correct Brietta.....How could they do an efit, maybe it was someone else.

It is something which genuinely puzzles me. 

Mrs Smith may have had a better view of the man’s face and may have described him but I would be loath to rush to judgement on anything to do with the Smith sighting which I think raises more questions than it answers.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Anna

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
It is something which genuinely puzzles me. 

Mrs Smith may have had a better view of the man’s face and may have described him but I would be loath to rush to judgement on anything to do with the Smith sighting which I think raises more questions than it answers.

Mary and Martin, were I believe together and Martin said in his second statement

Excerpt MS:-
It was the way Gerard McCann turned his head down which was similar to what the individual did on 3rd May 2007 when we met him. It may have been the way he was carrying the child either.
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »

I tend to agree John. Another of those mares nests that will never be un-muddled.
The ST should have learned from others mistakes, didn't and consequently lost on a technical KO.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:48 PM »
I tend to agree John. Another of those mares nests that will never be un-muddled.
The ST should have learned from others mistakes, didn't and consequently lost on a technical KO.

Absolutely, they turned a valid issue into a farce.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:57:11 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
Absolutely, they turned a valid issue into a farce.

They may have been overzealous in their haste to get the boot in ... which rather belies the common assertion that the MSM "protect the McCanns."

Offline Montclair

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
From the article quoted, I get the impression that the case was settled out of court, as is usual for the McCanns. It seems IMO that the parents have not said that what was written in the ST article was not true. Their complaint is that the authors give the idea that they hindered the search for their daughter, suffered damage to their reputation, embarrassement and distress. Also, their complaint cited the fact that their spokesman was not consulted before publishing the article. What is this? Every article in the MSM about these lovely parents must meet the approval of CM and Kate and Gerry?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:38 PM »
From the article quoted, I get the impression that the case was settled out of court, as is usual for the McCanns. It seems IMO that the parents have not said that what was written in the ST article was not true. Their complaint is that the authors give the idea that they hindered the search for their daughter, suffered damage to their reputation, embarrassement and distress. Also, their complaint cited the fact that their spokesman was not consulted before publishing the article. What is this? Every article in the MSM about these lovely parents must meet the approval of CM and Kate and Gerry?

more mistakes from you ..too many to challenge...if you had read the article properly..it's still there you can check...the mccanns claim was that the rebuttal arguments given by their spokesman were not fully printed making the article biased and unfair..plus the lies printed to boot...no wonder you are confused you must be quite dizzy from all your spinning.

Every article must obey the law of the UK...perhaps you have a problem with that.. I don't

just to make it easy for you this sis what the mccanns said re their spokesman

The McCanns also said that the story did not include several points made to Insight by their spokesman. They said this denied them "a proper opportunity to inform the readers of The Sunday Times of the falsity of the allegations against them".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:06:00 PM by davel »

stephen25000

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 07:45:41 AM »
So why didn't the mccanns publish the photo themselves  ?

Offline xtina

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 08:31:30 AM »
So why didn't the mccanns publish the photo themselves  ?

exactly

and why did they still hold on to them for over a year

But not only that.... they have their own publicity machine who also decided not to publish the pictures.

Even though we'd previously had Cooperman,.... Egghead....,  striding man, ... aged pictures of maddie

If you have information and don't give it to the investigating team..... then surely that's called withholding evidence
Always listen to both sides of the story before you judge.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.