Author Topic: Madeleine McCann - Introduction to the case  (Read 97427 times)

Offline John

Madeleine McCann - Introduction to the case
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
Madeleine McCann disappeared on the evening of Thursday, 3 May 2007. She was on holiday with her parents and twin siblings in the Algarve region of Portugal. The British girl went missing from an apartment located in the central area of the resort of Praia da Luz, a few days before her fourth birthday, and has still not been found.

Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry McCann, have said that they left the children unsupervised in a ground floor bedroom (4) while they ate at a restaurant (1) about 50 metres away.

The initial investigation by the Polícia Judiciária (PJ), the Portuguese criminal investigation police, was based on the assumption that the child had been abducted.  After further investigation, the PJ stated that there was a strong hypothesis that she might have died in her room.  During the investigation there were a number of unconfirmed sightings of Madeleine in Portugal and elsewhere, and additional scientific evidence was obtained. The investigation involved the co-operation of the British and Portuguese police and demonstrated the differing methodologies employed by each, with regard to such aspects as the amount of information released to the public and the legal status of those involved in the case.

Robert Murat, a local resident, was given arguido or suspect status on 15 May 2007.  Kate and Gerry McCann were also named as arguidos on 7 September but were allowed to fly back to the United Kingdom on 9 September.  As investigators failed to find evidence of any wrongdoing, all three suspects had their arguido status lifted on 21 July 2008. The Portuguese Attorney General archived the case, also on 21 July, adding that the case could be reopened if new evidence emerges.

The disappearance and its aftermath were notable for the breadth and longevity of the media coverage. This was initially due to the active involvement of the parents in publicising the case and to several awareness-raising campaigns by international celebrities and, latterly, to the interest that arose from the parents being named as suspects. The event generated international media attention with controversy surrounding the Portuguese-led police investigation and the actions of Madeleine's parents. There has also been criticism of the extent and nature of the publicity and of the reporting of the disappearance in both the Portuguese and British media.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:07:35 AM by Admin »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

Re: Madeleine McCann - Introduction to the case
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:50:42 PM »
Portuguese detectives made the McCanns suspects in Maddie’s disappearance after taking advice from British police, it was claimed yesterday.

Cracker-style profiler Lee Rainbow – who worked on the Ipswich Ripper and Shannon Matthews cases – said officers should consider their possible involvement in the case, a court was told.

The National Policing Improvement Agency ( NPIA) expert wrote a report to Algarve police chiefs giving advice.

Details of the confidential report emerged during the final day of a libel trial involving former Portuguese detective Goncalo Amaral, who led the Maddie investigation.

Amaral is trying to overturn a worldwide injunction banning the publication of his book Maddie: The Truth of the Lie. In it he claims Kate and Gerry were involved in Maddie’s death and staged her disappearance. His lawyer, Antonio Cabrita, told the court Rainbow wrote: “It was Madeleine’s father who was the last one to see her alive.

“The family is a lead that should be followed. The contradictions in Gerald McCann’s statements might lead us to suspect a homicide.”

Cabrita added: “This report has never been published before but is part of the investigation.

On June 1st 2007 British police had the theory that Madeleine could be dead and the family could be involved.

“It was British police who said they must consider not only abduction but homicide as well.”

The NPIA provided a checklist of what should be done, advising the Portuguese police to include the McCanns in their inquiry and take new forensics at their holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.

Last night an NPIA spokesman said: “In disappearance cases it is common for the NPIA to advise investigating officers to consider the possibility of the involvement of family and close friends. The NPIA gave similar generic advice to the Portuguese police in the Madeleine McCann case.”

Meanwhile, Kate and Gerry launched criminal proceedings against Portuguese TV station TVI yesterday for repeating Amaral’s claims that Maddie is dead. A ruling in Amaral’s libel case is due to be made on February 18.

http://mccannexposure.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/brit-police-treat-the-mccanns-as-suspects/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:40:32 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline sika

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »
Two sets of witnesses claim to have seen a man carrying a child on that evening.
Given the level of publicity surrounding this case, would you not have expected the man/men carrying the child, to have come forward?
The dogs picked out a scent in the hire car.
Why would the McCanns have waited 20 odd days to move the body?

Looking at the evidence available, I would suggest that there is more that points to abduction, than any other scenario.
Common sense would also overwhelmingly point to abduction.
So why would anyone choose to believe that the McCanns are responsible?

debunker

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
Two sets of witnesses claim to have seen a man carrying a child on that evening.
Given the level of publicity surrounding this case, would you not have expected the man/men carrying the child, to have come forward?

Looking at the evidence available, I would suggest that there is more that points to abduction, than any other scenario.

I have often wondered that. After much consideration I have come to believe that it is due to an obsession to show how bright they are and have a scapegoat to blame, despite the fact that they lack knowledge, rationality, discrimination and a moral compass; they wallow intheir own messy lives and seek to big themselves up by preying on innocent people thr just into the public eye.

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »

I can empathise with that point of view sika unless someone can show me any different?

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
I think we can all agree that the McCann's actions were ill considered by not having an adult maintain a vigil with the children. 

That said however, with the best will in the world nobody expects their child to be abducted from a holiday apartment.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:28:05 AM by Admin »

Offline sika

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »
I think we can all agree that the McCann's actions were ill considered by not having an adult maintain a vigil with the children. 
That said however, with the best will in the world nobody expects their child to be abducted from a holiday apartment.

The abduction is merely a 'thesis', one without a shred of evidence.
What about the witnesses who saw the child being carried by the mystery man?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:28:25 AM by Admin »

Offline sika

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
Either. How do you explain the sighting by Mr Smith and his family?

debunker

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »

There is no evidence of abduction according to the archiving of the case. Similarly there is no evidence of harm coming to Madeleine in the apartment.

There is a possibility of both.

Demanding 'proof' where a full investigation has  failed to provide it is a meaningless challenge made in desperation.

It is possible that either one happened.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:17:07 PM by Admin »

Online Eleanor

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »
Just because there is no physical evidence of an abductor doesn't mean there wasn't one.  He was hardly likely to have been scattering his DNA around.  He will have gone prepared for that possibility.  It isn't difficult you know.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:17:38 PM by Admin »

Offline Heriberto Janosch

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:08:53 PM »
There is a lot of plausible abduction theories, but no plausible theory which excludes "abduction by stranger to Tapas 9" ...

Only as an example the simplest (though maybe not the truest) abduction theory:

An unplanned abduction. The offender without a car was looking for a apartment to "break" (PdL is a very safe place but with a lot of "breakings" which means entering the apartment/house with or without damage to steal something). He found 5A window in a dark place. He opened the window form the outside (glass panes unlocked). Madeleine went to the window, somnolent and very tired, thinking he was one of her parents.  He (versatile offender) caught her at 21:45. Jane saw him. The Smiths saw him.

I always think is very difficult to keep a secret on such a famous case if more than one person knows what really happened ...

Heri.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:07:25 PM by Admin »

Offline gavdalf

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
I always believed innocent until proven guilty, its not guilty until proven innocent.

debunker

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
I always believed innocent until proven guilty, its not guilty until proven innocent.

I wish we had more people here who believe in that and in the rule of law.

Offline gavdalf

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »
what I can see if that we have a great deal of information and theory that may eventually lead to facts, but not very much else at present that can be stated as such.

Oh actually I think we may be able to state as Fact that the couple's were dining at the tapas bar while the children were in the apartments? and had some form of checking routine, The timings of the checking regime and how it was being done I do not feel we can state as Fact - yes or no?

Offline Carana

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
what I can see if that we have a great deal of information and theory that may eventually lead to facts, but not very much else at present that can be stated as such.

Oh actually I think we may be able to state as Fact that the couple's were dining at the tapas bar while the children were in the apartments? and had some form of checking routine, The timings of the checking regime and how it was being done I do not feel we can state as Fact - yes or no?

In the absence of CCTV dated images, timings would be somewhat approximate, I would have thought.