Author Topic: Can Maddie ever receive justice in Portugal?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Angelo222

Can Maddie ever receive justice in Portugal?
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:20:07 AM »
Can Maddie ever receive justice in Portugal?

This question arose earlier on another thread so here is an opportunity to debate it.

In order to obtain justice all elements must come together, elements such as a proper and impartial investigation and willing witnesses eager to assist. Neither of these occurred at a level which could take the investigation forward. The simple truth is that the original enquiry was shelved because of a lack of evidence and an unwillingness by the parents and several others to fully engage with the investigatory authorities.

I have no doubt where the blame lies in any failure to dispense justice where Maddie is concerned.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:42:02 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

Re: Can Maddie ever receive justice in Portugal?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
As I understand it jury trials are rare in Portugal and only occur if the accused requests it. Otherwise a panel of judges decides. I assume they would concentrate on the evidence presented and not be swayed by the media or public opinion.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:08:14 PM »
As I understand it jury trials are rare in Portugal and only occur if the accused requests it. Otherwise a panel of judges decides. I assume they would concentrate on the evidence presented and not be swayed by the media or public opinion.

A jury trial can be requested for major crimes.  When the crime in question is punishable by a prison sentence with a maximum limit of more than eight years, either the public prosecutor, the victim or the defendant may request a jury trial. Juries consist of three judges (juizes de direito) and four jurors (jurados, who are Portuguese nationals, aged 18-65, and who are registered voters).

In trials without a jury, a panel of three judges sit in judgement assisted by a ministerial delegate whose job is to help the judges review the evidence.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:19:33 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
According to sil the Portuguese media are presenting the alerts as virtual proof that Maddie is dead and presumably implying the parents are involved
That is not justice

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »
According to sil the Portuguese media are presenting the alerts as virtual proof that Maddie is dead and presumably implying the parents are involved
That is not justice

Some media possibly but we have also seen evidence of fair and impartial reporting by other elements of the Portuguese media.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:20:47 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:25:01 PM »
That is not justice

The media have no role in the legal process.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »
The media have no role in the legal process.
Never said they did but if the Portuguese people think Maddie is dead and the parents did it then there will be no cooperation from the public which could be essential to solving the case
Has there been an appeal for Smith an in portugal

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
Never said they did but if the Portuguese people think Maddie is dead and the parents did it then there will be no cooperation from the public which could be essential to solving the case

Should cooperation not begin with the tapas group?   
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:29:36 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 02:27:13 PM »

I thought we were discussing the legal process, not the investigative process. Amaral has promoted the Smith sighting in Portugal, I know that much.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
Should cooperation not begin with the tapas group?
I would say they have told them all they know
I think the planned recon was simply to try and find someway of incriminating the mccanns
We know from amaral that as far as the PJ were concerned  the McCanns were guilty

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »
I thought we were discussing the legal process, not the investigative process. Amaral has promoted the Smith sighting in Portugal, I know that much.

Promoted in what way
Claiming. I guess it was Gerry doesn't count

Offline John

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »
The Portuguese people aren't daft you know, they would have seen the parents flee Portugal the moment the arguido interviews were attempted, I say attempted because they will also know that the mother of the missing child refused to answer most of the questions put to her.  You saw the footage of the crowd in the streets when the parents arrived to be interviewed, hostile is what comes to mind.

None of this is normal in a suspected abduction case so why would any Portuguese person be swayed otherwise?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »
The Portuguese people aren't daft you know, they would have seen the parents flee Portugal the moment the arguido interviews were attempted, I say attempted because they will also know that the mother of the missing child refused to answer most of the questions put to her.  You saw the footage of the crowd in the streets when the parents arrived to be interviewed, hostile is what comes to mind.

None of this is normal in a suspected abduction case so why would any Portuguese person be swayed otherwise?
Kate answered about 19 hours of questions
Any sensible person would have fled Portugal from a system where innocent people can be held for a year on remand

Kate had quite rightly lost all confidence in the Portuguese police
What I find a disgrace is the Portuguese media promoting the alerts as Prof of death in the apartment

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »
Kate answered about 19 hours of questions
Any sensible person would have fled Portugal from a system where innocent people can be held for a year on remand

Kate had quite rightly lost all confidence in the Portuguese police
What I find a disgrace is the Portuguese media promoting the alerts as Prof of death in the apartment

I disagree, any parent of a missing child would do what the parents of Ben did and that was to stay and encourage both police and civilians to look for the child.  Alas, no trace of Ben has ever been found but they tried, they put personal gain aside and dedicated their lives to finding their missing child.  The Needham's don't attract hate, derision and loathing.

Unless someone comes forward, I cannot see Madeleine ever getting justice but it won't be the good people of Portugal to blame.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:17:32 PM by John »

stephen25000

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 03:16:22 PM »
Davel.

What do you intend to achieve by complaining about that on here ?

You could always take your concerns to the Portuguese media organisations.