Author Topic: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.  (Read 20719 times)

Offline sadie

Re: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2018, 09:02:18 AM »
And you you said a few days ago that they were fairly accurate Davel. Which is it?
It seems Davel is correct, with fairly being the operative word

Offline Brietta

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2018, 09:05:09 AM »
"Although the writ has yet to be made public, the Guardian understands that the claim will centre around losses from "interrupted business", ]normally used to cover businesses that can no longer trade because of flooding or loss of power supplies. AIG is expected to contest the claim."

I remember looking into  that at the time, but I don't remember what the result of that claim was, if any.

Since that happened, a little restaurant that I often popped into (not in Portugal) was vandalised. The owners were able to claim against insurance for repairs, which took ages, but not against the salaries that still had to be paid or loss of earnings.

I wondered later if that type of coverage was of a similar nature to what the OC was seeking, but I didn't check that out any further.

In the light of the financial downturn I don't think they had a leg to stand on as far as business losses are concerned.

Snip
Bank of Portugal issues financial alert as families start to feel the credit pinch

DEBT ALERT

Families need to brace themselves for the tough economic times that lie ahead, the Bank of Portugal predicts. In its 2006 Financial Stability Report, the Bank forecasts that thousands of families who previously enjoyed relative financial stability will now struggle to repay their debts. This warning follows a decision last week by the European
Central Bank to raise interest rates by 25 basis points to a figure of four percent. According to analysts, the ECB rate is set to climb to a figure closer to five percent before the year is out with consensus being that a rate of at least 4.5 percent will be in force within the next five months.
https://archive.org/stream/The_Portugal_News-912/The_Portugal_News-912_djvu.txt

I don't think they had a leg to stand on if the writing was on the wall in 2006.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2018, 09:33:15 AM »
Have you considered the possibility (highly remote I know, given the Daily Mail’s reputation as an arbiter of factual reporting) that the article writer embellished certain parts of Pennington ‘s account, and it is they and not her who are the clowns in this example?

I'm happy to include the Daily Mail as one of the clowns, but not to exclude the nanny who has repeatedly appeared in the press with her version of events. I tend to accept direct quotes as provenance. If you want to believe Ms Pennington you will need to explain where the twins were five minutes after the alarm was raised.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2018, 11:37:14 AM »
I don't believe it was teenagers who did that. IMO it was a message to foreigners to butt out of Portuguese affairs.

Or someone having the hump about flyposting and/or having a kin great hoarding erected on their land without permission.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2018, 12:43:44 PM »
I'm happy to include the Daily Mail as one of the clowns, but not to exclude the nanny who has repeatedly appeared in the press with her version of events. I tend to accept direct quotes as provenance. If you want to believe Ms Pennington you will need to explain where the twins were five minutes after the alarm was raised.
No I won't. I don't need to do anything.  If you want to refer to has a clown, you'd better be sure that she made the whole thing up. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2018, 12:44:33 PM »
Or someone having the hump about flyposting and/or having a kin great hoarding erected on their land without permission.
Have you a cite for the hoarding being illegally erected?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »

You cannot accept any quote as being  accurate unless you have seen it as a live recording... The written word including newspaper supposed direct quotes cannot be relied on

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2018, 05:28:37 PM »
No I won't. I don't need to do anything.  If you want to refer to has a clown, you'd better be sure that she made the whole thing up.

If she was telling the truth others were lying through their teeth. Take your pick.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
If she was telling the truth others were lying through their teeth. Take your pick.

How about your reasoning is very simplistic
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:34:25 PM by Davel »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2018, 05:58:34 PM »
Like I said if you want to refer to her as a clown you better be sure she made the whole thing up.  How sure are you?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »
With regard to Charlotte Pennington ‘s statement perhaps someone can explain why the two translations are at variance, with one saying she did not enter the Apartment, and the other not mentioning this detail?

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/CHARLOTTE-PENNINGTON.htm

Offline Brietta

« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »
With regard to Charlotte Pennington ‘s statement perhaps someone can explain why the two translations are at variance, with one saying she did not enter the Apartment, and the other not mentioning this detail?

It is a queer one and certainly gives one food for thought.  We know already that Robert Murat had helped the PJ with translation is the first translation the original (imo the English is very good) or the one he must have transcribed to Portuguese and translated back?

The second one by Anna Esse? could well have been round the houses and back again having been translated from French taken from the original English to Portuguese? or Portuguese to French? or whatever? 
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »
Have you a cite for the hoarding being illegally erected?

Did I say it was?
You need to read my post in conjunction with Angelo's then you may have the full appreciation.
End of game.
Play ping pong on your own.
Whatever happened to "you are not talking to me again"?
Does this mean we are now friends again.
If I thought you weren't my friend, I just don't think I could bear it.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »

These are amateurs translating. The information is present in the original Portuguese.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
These are amateurs translating. The information is present in the original Portuguese.

And there were amateurs translating the english statements into the portuguese you are reading....LOL