Author Topic: Police seeking couple who entered McCann Apt to comfort crying Madeleine  (Read 43329 times)

icabodcrane

That's the Sunday Express front page tomorrow

The story is not on line yet 

Is this something that has been known previously, or is it new information ?

ferryman

Where did you come by the story?

icabodcrane

Where did you come by the story?

I don't know what the story is,  I'm just going by the headline 

If you google Daily Express,  then scroll  right down to the bottom,  they give a picture of the  tomorrow's front page

debunker

Mystery couple seen going into McCanns’ flat on night before sobbing Madeleine disappeared

Madeleine’s tears alerted a resident on eve of her disappearance

SCOTLAND YARD detectives are trying to find a middle-aged couple said to have entered Madeleine McCann’s holiday apartment to comfort her because she was crying, we can reveal today.

It is believed they entered the bedroom on May 2, 2007, the evening before Madeleine disappeared from the Ocean Club at Praia da Luz on Portugal’s Algarve.

The tip-off was given by two key witnesses who were reinterviewed as part of the Yard’s two-year, £4.5million  investigation.

It is already known that Pamela Fenn, who lived directly above apartment 5a, heard a child, believed to be Madeleine, crying for about an hour on the evening of May 2.

She was so concerned she rang a friend in the village to ask what to do and considered ringing Portugal’s Policia Judiciaria.

At the time, Madeleine’s mother Kate and father Gerry were dining with friends at a tapas bar some 50 yards from the apartment.

A source said: “Police were astonished when this new information came to light. Officers spoke to other key witnesses to discover more about the middle-aged couple.

“Apparently they were concerned about the crying and went to see if they could comfort the girl.”

Pamela Fenn has since died, so police have been speaking to other people who were staying in the same apartments.

Our revelation comes as Scotland Yard detectives say there are potentially 20 suspects they want to speak to. Retiring Detective Chief Superintendent Hamish Campbell, head of the Yard’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command, urged Portuguese authorities to investigate the new leads.

He said: “There are a lot of people of interest. There are people who could be properly explored further, if only to be eliminated.”

Scotland Yard officers have been interviewing witnesses here for months, although the public prosecutor in Portugal has decided against reopening the investigation.

Despite claims of a “Mexican stand off” between Portuguese police and Yard officers, the Sunday Express understands there is in fact very good co-operation between both squads.

Pedro de Carmo, deputy national leader of the PJ, said yesterday: “We still co-operate with their team. There are good communications.”

Portuguese officers are very impressed with the diligence of the Met investigation and have been impressed with their interviews with witnesses in Britain.

We can confirm that a couple staying in the same block as apartment 5a were interviewed last February.

They were in their apartment on the night Madeleine vanished. Afterwards they wrote an account of what they saw but were never formally interviewed by Portuguese detectives.

They had been at a restaurant earlier in the evening and left at about 9pm.

On their way home they walked directly past the entrance to the Ocean Club pool, where the “Tapas 7” (the name given to the friends eating with the McCanns on the night Madeleine disappeared) were enjoying the meal with Kate and Gerry.

They walked past apartment 5a but noticed nothing untoward. The woman said in her statement: “I stood on the balcony at about 9.15 with a whisky.

“I saw people eating at the tapas bar and children in the play area. We went to bed at 10pm-ish. We were woken up by our bell ringing at 11.30pm. It was a friend of the McCanns, saying that a little girl had been abducted. The friend asked if we had a computer so they could get the media involved in the search.

“Two police were on the corner of our block, one lady said that off-duty police had come and were searching. We did see single men on mobiles while we were out who could have been police.”

The couple took part in the search for Madeleine and then returned to their apartment.

The woman’s statement continues: “We walked back up towards our apartment, a group had gathered on the corner. The McCanns were in bits, he was crying on the shoulder of a friend. She was screaming: ‘The f*****g b........s have taken her’. Finally, at around 4am, we said: ‘Is it OK if we go to bed?’ We directed this comment towards a man in a white shirt and jeans, who seemed to be authoritative.”

At the couple’s home here, two Yard officers questioned them separately for three hours and got them to sign lengthy statements. They further interviewed them this year to double check their information.

The couple are key because at precisely 9.15pm on May 3, Jane Tanner, a friend of the McCanns, said she left the tapas bar and walked past Gerry, who was talking to holidaymaker Jez Wilkins outside apartment 5a.

Neither Gerry nor Kate said they saw Jane. She reported that she had seen a man carrying a child, believed to be Madeleine, walking across the top of the road.

At the time she had not realised the significance. Officers asked the couple if they saw Jane, Gerry or Jez but they insist they did not.

The Sunday Express has visited the couple’s holiday apartment, which looks over the tapas bar. From its balcony you can see directly into the garden of apartment 5a.

The woman said: “We have one of the best views of the whole block. We are sure of the timings. If we had seen anyone we would have remembered.

“We will continue to answer the Yard’s questions. We have given our fingerprints and DNA. We were happy to assist. They should be left to get on with their inquiries.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/400796/Mystery-couple-seen-going-into-McCanns-flat-on-night-before-sobbing-Madeleine-disappeared
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:35:59 PM by Admin »

ferryman

I'll reserve judgment on that one until the couple in question have been identified in person ...

Thinking about it more deeply, clearly this couple in question didn't, themselves, report anything, and from Mrs Fenn's account, it would seem the couple had no effect in comforting Madeleine, because the crying did not abate until the McCanns themselves returned ...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:02:30 AM by ferryman »

Offline Benice

It is already known that Pamela Fenn, who lived directly above apartment 5a, heard a child, believed to be Madeleine, crying for about an hour on the evening of May 2.

Unquote

Mrs Fenn said she heard a child crying on May 1st not the 2nd.   Rachel Oldfield stayed in her apartment on the night of May 2nd.  If there had been any prolonged crying from next door- she would have heard it.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

ferryman

Unquote

Mrs Fenn said she heard a child crying on May 1st not the 2nd.   Rachel Oldfield stayed in her apartment on the night of May 2nd.  If there had been any prolonged crying from next door- she would have heard it.

Yes you're right, May 1st, and Mrs Fenn said nothing about May 2nd, so this couple heard crying on May 2nd that passed Mrs Fenn by ...

Rachel Oldfield stayed in the McCanns apartment on May 2nd, do you mean?

Offline Benice

Unquote

Yes you're right, May 1st, and Mrs Fenn said nothing about May 2nd, so this couple heard crying on May 2nd that passed Mrs Fenn by ...

No - she was in the apartment next door to 5A - for the whole evening of the 2nd.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

ferryman

Unquote

No - she was in the apartment next door to 5A - for the whole evening of the 2nd.

Ah!  Thank you ...

ferryman

Benice on the ball.

From Rachel Oldfield's rogatory:

1578 'So you, on the Wednesday evening then, you stayed in the apartment with Grace''
 Reply 'Yeah, yeah. I remember reading my book on the sofa for a while and then think I, I went to bed but it would have been quite, you know it would have been about nine, cos I'd been up most of the night before, erm and I mean I know that on Thursday night when we sat down at the table, Kate said that to Madeleine and Sean had you know, said they'd been crying on the Wednesday night and asking where erm, they'd said they'd been crying and, and some, you know, this is sort of with hindsight but I you know, I was trying to think whether I'd heard anything but'.

1578 'On the Wednesday evening'.
 Reply 'Mmm'.

1578 'Who said they'd been crying sorry''
 Reply 'Kate did, when we sat down at the table on the Thursday night, Kate said that erm, Madeleine and Sean had cried, said they'd been crying, erm and you know wondered where she was, or wondered where you know, Mummy and Daddy were, erm I mean this was kind of after Madeleine disappeared, we talked, she mentioned that when we sat at the table on Thursday and then after Madeleine had disappeared, erm McCANNS said, oh well I wonder whether on the Wednesday, you know somebody had tried to get in perhaps or had got in and they'd seen something, erm you know and I was next door in the apartment but I mean I didnt hear any, well you know, I didnt hear anything, I could well have been asleep, erm you could hear quite a lot through the apartments because Grace, she always wakes up early but because she seemed to have diarrhoea every night, she'd wake up sort of six o'clock most mornings and we'd always have to put her in the, in the shower or in the bath first thing, and Gerry and Kate would always hear that and so you know, most of the comments first thing in the morning would be like, oh so Grace was up early again, she'd be invariably screaming her head off, so'.

1578 'On Wednesday evening'.
 Reply 'Mmm'.

1578 'When you were poorly, what time would Matthew have gone down to''
 Reply 'About half eight'.

1578 'About half eight''
 Reply 'Mmm'.

1578 'And do you recall what time he returned''
 Reply 'No but it was quite late that night, it was later than any of the other nights'.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
So Madeleine, told her mummy she had been crying, but didn't mention two good samaritans had been in to comfort her?

This couple supposedly saw enter the bedroom   @)(++(*

The Sunday Express has visited the couple’s holiday apartment, which looks over the tapas bar. From its balcony you can see directly into the garden of apartment 5a.

“I stood on the balcony at about 9.15 with a whisky.

“I saw people eating at the tapas bar and children in the play area.
We went to bed at 10pm-ish. We were woken up by our bell ringing at 11.30pm. It was a friend of the McCanns, saying that a little girl had been abducted. The friend asked if we had a computer so they could get the media involved in the search.  ?>)()<

God has this woman, got eyes in the back of her head? she can see in front, and behind buildings. She's obviously deaf, if she didn't hear the commotion.

“Apparently they were concerned about the crying and went to see if they could comfort the girl.”
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

ferryman

That's another excellent point.

Offline Carana

So Madeleine, told her mummy she had been crying, but didn't mention two good samaritans had been in to comfort her?

We went to bed at 10pm-ish. We were woken up by our bell ringing at 11.30pm. It was a friend of the McCanns, saying that a little girl had been abducted. The friend asked if we had a computer so they could get the media involved in the search.  ?>)()<

God has this woman, got eyes in the back of her head? she can see in front, and behind buildings. She's obviously deaf, if she didn't hear the commotion.

The article is ambiguous, I find. It's not at all clear if the first couple mentioned in the article is the same as the second one.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!

The article is ambiguous, I find. It's not at all clear if the first couple mentioned in the article is the same as the second one.

Why would the woman say,

“We have one of the best views of the whole block. We are sure of the timings. If we had seen anyone we would have remembered.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

AnneGuedes

This couple is perfectly identified and their statements are part of the files. They aren't the supposed "Samaritans". But they heard and saw nothing except people laughing in the Tapas Bar and a knock on their door much later. I don't think they were asked if they had a laptop to put the media in the case.
I can try to find them if somebody wishes.