Author Topic: The Trial Of Derek Chauvin, Death Of George Floyd  (Read 31066 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: The Trial Of Derek Chauvin, Death Of George Floyd
« Reply #345 on: April 21, 2021, 06:53:45 AM »
I am shocked rigid.  Members of Congress, including The President of The United States, attempted to interfere with the Course of Justice.  This is outrageous.  Unless they did it with purpose, which is what my son thinks.

They will lose this one in the end and then what will it all have amounted to?  I would like to see the results of BLM storming The White House which appeared to support them.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2021, 06:57:16 AM »
I am shocked rigid.  Members of Congress, including The President of The United States, attempted to interfere with the Course of Justice.  This is outrageous.  Unless they did it with purpose, which is what my son thinks.

They will lose this one in the end and then what will it all have amounted to?  I would like to see the results of BLM storming The White House which appeared to support them.

Chauvin certainly has grounds for an appeal, what with the timing of civil damages awarded to the Floyd family, the refusal to hold the trial in a different area, the refusal to sequester the jury for the full hearing & the unprecedented political interference with the case.

I don't think he'll get off though.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2021, 07:07:49 AM »
Chauvin certainly has grounds for an appeal, what with the timing of civil damages awarded to the Floyd family, the refusal to hold the trial in a different area, the refusal to sequester the jury for the full hearing & the unprecedented political interference with the case.

I don't actually know, Spammy.  But I will be much surprised if The Police in good old USofA don't start backing off and leaving these people to rampage around a bit while killing a few others first.  Then The Police can get done for Dereliction of Duty.

Now might be a good time to resign and find a job flipping ham burgers.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #348 on: April 21, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
Those of you who predicted trouble whatever the outcome must be a bit disappointed by the lack of rioting and civil unrest following last night’s verdict? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Online Eleanor

« Reply #349 on: April 21, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
Those of you who predicted trouble whatever the outcome must be a bit disappointed by the lack of rioting and civil unrest following last night’s verdict?

That isn't what it's all about for me.  It is all just my opinion, which I believe I am entitled to, although I don't actually live in America, so quite possibly don't know what I am talking about.

I have never committed an act of violence against anyone.  It isn't in my phsyche.  Although there have been a couple of occasions when I might have done if I had been born with my brain wired differently.  Thank God I wasn't.  But I do have some vague conception of why some people do.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2021, 08:00:38 AM »

The jury was fully sequestered during deliberations and therefore (if I’m not mistaken) would have presumably been unaware of Biden’s comment for one. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Online Eleanor

« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2021, 08:05:48 AM »
The jury was fully sequestered during deliberations and therefore (if I’m not mistaken) would have presumably been unaware of Biden’s comment for one.

You think?  But that isn't really the point.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2021, 08:10:24 AM »
You think?  But that isn't really the point.
It’s one of the points.

Offline Carana

« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2021, 09:11:38 AM »
Interesting interview with former Minneapolis police chief.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/04/19/amanpour-harteau-chauvin-trial.cnn

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2021, 09:19:04 AM »

I wasn't referring to Biden.

The comments from Maxine Waters should be enough for appeal.

We're supposed to imagine the jurors were living in an information vacuum for the past 4 weeks.

Offline Carana

« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2021, 09:31:03 AM »
Significance

Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men in the United States. Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police.
Risk of being killed by police peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for men and women and for all racial and ethnic groups. Black women and men and American Indian and Alaska Native women and men are significantly more likely than white women and men to be killed by police. Latino men are also more likely to be killed by police than are white men.

Abstract

We use data on police-involved deaths to estimate how the risk of being killed by police use of force in the United States varies across social groups. We estimate the lifetime and age-specific risks of being killed by police by race and sex. We also provide estimates of the proportion of all deaths accounted for by police use of force. We find that African American men and women, American Indian/Alaska Native men and women, and Latino men face higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. We find that Latina women and Asian/Pacific Islander men and women face lower risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course. The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women. Risk peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for all groups. For young men of color, police use of force is among the leading causes of death.

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

Offline Carana

« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2021, 09:36:41 AM »
The Minneapolis police officer who knelt on George Floyd's neck had 18 previous complaints against him, police department says

By Dakin Andone, Hollie Silverman and Melissa Alonso, CNN

Updated 2139 GMT (0539 HKT) May 29, 2020

(...)

Only two of the 18 complaints against Chauvin were "closed with discipline," according to a MPD internal affairs public summary. In both cases, the "discipline issued" column indicated that a letter of reprimand had been issued in response.

Chauvin was not the only officer on the scene that day with a history of complaints against him.
Former officer Tou Thao had six complaints filed with internal affairs, one of which was still open, according to the public summary released Thursday. The other five complaints had been closed without discipline.
The two other officers involved had no complaints filed against them, per MPD internal affairs.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/minneapolis-officer-complaints-george-floyd/index.html

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »
I wasn't referring to Biden.

The comments from Maxine Waters should be enough for appeal.

We're supposed to imagine the jurors were living in an information vacuum for the past 4 weeks.
Yep, it was a totally stupid thing to do, but I really can't see how the jury could have come to any other verdict other than the one they came to -  I can' see that anything she said would have made any difference to the outcome.  That said Chauvin is certainly going to appeal and if he gets off because of what she did it will be devastating for Floyd's family and for justice in America.  IMO. 

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2021, 09:38:53 AM »
Significance

Police violence is a leading cause of death for young men in the United States. Over the life course, about 1 in every 1,000 black men can expect to be killed by police.
Risk of being killed by police peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for men and women and for all racial and ethnic groups. Black women and men and American Indian and Alaska Native women and men are significantly more likely than white women and men to be killed by police. Latino men are also more likely to be killed by police than are white men.

Abstract

We use data on police-involved deaths to estimate how the risk of being killed by police use of force in the United States varies across social groups. We estimate the lifetime and age-specific risks of being killed by police by race and sex. We also provide estimates of the proportion of all deaths accounted for by police use of force. We find that African American men and women, American Indian/Alaska Native men and women, and Latino men face higher lifetime risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. We find that Latina women and Asian/Pacific Islander men and women face lower risk of being killed by police than do their white peers. Risk is highest for black men, who (at current levels of risk) face about a 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police over the life course. The average lifetime odds of being killed by police are about 1 in 2,000 for men and about 1 in 33,000 for women. Risk peaks between the ages of 20 y and 35 y for all groups. For young men of color, police use of force is among the leading causes of death.

Statistically, a young black man is more likely to be murdered by another black man than by a cop.

And one thing I don't understand is, if the killings of black men by cops is because of racism, why are they killing mostly men & not women?

Are we to assume the cops are both racists & misandrists as well?

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2021, 09:43:36 AM »
Significance

Abstract

I think you will find that THE leading cause of death of young black men in the United States is other back men. You can take the black man out of Africa but you can't take Africa out of the black man.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!