Author Topic: Likes  (Read 27541 times)

Alfie

May I suggest that only forum members with a minimum post count of x (let's say 200 or more) should be able to like a post?  That way we wouldn't have the somewhat suspicious situation of the giver of the most likes (over 900) being a member of this forum who has never written a single post before.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:50:04 PM by ShiningInLuz »

Offline sika

Re: Likes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:22:18 PM »
I've been put off posting since this like thing started.  It just serves to highlight how unpopular I am!

8)><( 8)><( %56&

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 10:00:17 PM »
Some people may not post but follow the posts of others and appreciate them. It allows them to have an input so why not.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »
Some people may not post but follow the posts of others and appreciate them. It allows them to have an input so why not.
DO you not find it somewhat suspicious that the two most prolific "likers" have less than 20 posts between them and between them have liked approx 2000 posts (most by McCann sceptics)? 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:30:39 PM by Alfie »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 06:49:08 AM »
DO you not find it somewhat suspicious that the two most prolific "likers" have less than 20 posts between them and between them have liked approx 2000 posts (most by McCann sceptics)?

Oh, is that why you want to change the rules? Because the sceptics get more likes than the supporters? You seem to be suggesting it's not because they make the best posts either.

Perhaps others could achieve the most 'likes' if they changed their posting style and content. There's a point to ponder.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 11:19:42 PM »
Oh, is that why you want to change the rules? Because the sceptics get more likes than the supporters? You seem to be suggesting it's not because they make the best posts either.

Perhaps others could achieve the most 'likes' if they changed their posting style and content. There's a point to ponder.
No, I am simply suggesting that to avoid the possibility of accounts being set up or used simply to issue "likes" to bolster the reputation and egos of certain ther members of the forum that it would be fairer if posters had to earn the right to 'like' posts by actually taking part in discussions occasionally.  A system like this is open to such abuse and it's one way to counter it, surely you can see that?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:02:26 AM »
No, I am simply suggesting that to avoid the possibility of accounts being set up or used simply to issue "likes" to bolster the reputation and egos of certain ther members of the forum that it would be fairer if posters had to earn the right to 'like' posts by actually taking part in discussions occasionally.  A system like this is open to such abuse and it's one way to counter it, surely you can see that?

Are you seriously suggesting that people would conspire to make sure certain members got more likes than other members? Do you really think that people would bother?

I think suggesting there might be some grand conspiracy afoot to 'bolster the reputation and egos of certain members' says a lot more about you than about anyone else. Just because you don't appreciate these people's posts you think it must be a conspiracy if others 'like' them?

Perhaps, Alfie, people just like the posts pure and simple, much as it galls you.

Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
Are you seriously suggesting that people would conspire to make sure certain members got more likes than other members? Do you really think that people would bother?

I think suggesting there might be some grand conspiracy afoot to 'bolster the reputation and egos of certain members' says a lot more about you than about anyone else. Just because you don't appreciate these people's posts you think it must be a conspiracy if others 'like' them?

Perhaps, Alfie, people just like the posts pure and simple, much as it galls you.

If you had ever been a member of the Yahoo forums a few years ago, you would realise exactly how important it is for some "people" to be seen to receive multiple "like" votes. Indeed, one gave himself over 80 votes in 10 minutes from his various accounts (he had at least 100 different profiles). If you think the system on here is not being abused for the same macho-ego reason, then you are very naïve.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
If you had ever been a member of the Yahoo forums a few years ago, you would realise exactly how important it is for some "people" to be seen to receive multiple "like" votes. Indeed, one gave himself over 80 votes in 10 minutes from his various accounts (he had at least 100 different profiles). If you think the system on here is not being abused for the same macho-ego reason, then you are very naïve.

I don't take much notice of likes myself, so anyone seeking to enhance their reputation by fiddling them is wasting their efforts in my case. I use them now and again if I see a post I appreciate, but that's aimed at the post, not the poster. Anyone manipulating likes as an ego-boost is a very sad individual indeed in my opinion, as the ego-boost is a false one and they know that.

I don't know who has the most 'likes' on here, but if it was me I would not be amused if people were insinuating that I had gained that position by dishonestly manipulating the system. How insulting is that? 
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »
I don't take much notice of likes myself, so anyone seeking to enhance their reputation by fiddling them is wasting their efforts in my case. I use them now and again if I see a post I appreciate, but that's aimed at the post, not the poster. Anyone manipulating likes as an ego-boost is a very sad individual indeed in my opinion, as the ego-boost is a false one and they know that.

I don't know who has the most 'likes' on here, but if it was me I would not be amused if people were insinuating that I had gained that position by dishonestly manipulating the system. How insulting is that?

It's not an insinuation, G-Unit, it's an absolute accusation aimed at the little group who are doing it.

Perhaps we could have a "dislike" button to redress the balance.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »
It's not an insinuation, G-Unit, it's an absolute accusation aimed at the little group who are doing it.

Careful! You never know who'll 'win' that one.  @)(++(*
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 03:02:12 PM »

I agree with that. %£&)**#

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 03:21:47 PM »
My curiosity arisen, I just checked the Like stats. Horrifyingly I feature in them. I don't want to, I haven't conspired to do so and anyone accusing me of doing so had better be able to prove it! I suggest the button is removed immediately as it will never be seen as a compliment by anyone now thanks to the nasty unfounded accusations of some people.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »

Seeing as how that will notably affect both "sides" I would be in agreement with that.
Or better yet bin the whole idea if people are going to be mardyarsed over it because they don't perceive they are "winning" as the result of a vast conspiracy.
Don't phone us we know where you are and will phone you.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline misty

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »
My curiosity arisen, I just checked the Like stats. Horrifyingly I feature in them. I don't want to, I haven't conspired to do so and anyone accusing me of doing so had better be able to prove it! I suggest the button is removed immediately as it will never be seen as a compliment by anyone now thanks to the nasty unfounded accusations of some people.

My accusation was not directed at you, G-Unit, although you can now see how "guilty by loose association" works.
As I said - both Brietta & I have experienced, on another forum, how certain people like to manipulate statistics & ikes to suit their own ends. I have every reason to believe they are operating here.
Perhaps John would do the sensible thing & revert to the old practice, where truth & justice matter & the "reputation"  of Mr Anonymous doesn't.