Author Topic: Mikaeel Kular: Mother Rosdeep Kular appears in court on murder charge.  (Read 45679 times)

Redblossom

Re: Mikaeel Kular: Mother Rosdeep Kular appears in court on murder charge.
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
No, I wasn't suggesting anything except that I don't think she would be posting this if she's just killed her son.

I think whatever happened, happened the day after, on the 15th

OK thanks for explaining

Offline Carana

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
if it referred to anyone and wasnt a blanket inspirational quote could refer to her, she posted another about things always happening at once and life testing you...neither to do with her son if thats what you were suggesting imo

I find them to be just your average inspirational quotes. They seem to come into question due to the tragedy.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2014, 08:27:27 PM »
I was just about to reply to Eleanor's post when it was whooshed...

The Scottish system is very different from that in England yet we are all subject to the same Parliament in Westminster, pay the same taxes and are ruled by the same Queen.  The whole thing is a farce basically.  Most people convicted in Scotland on simple majority verdicts would not have been convicted if tried in England.  That's justice for you!  Personally I call it discrimination.

Yer.  Who done whooshed that then?  I thought it wuz you.  Just goes to show that one should never jump to unfounded conclusions.

Redblossom

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »
I was just about to reply to Eleanor's post when it was whooshed...

The Scottish system is very different from that in England yet we are all subject to the same Parliament in Westminster, pay the same taxes and are ruled by the same Queen.  The whole thing is a farce basically.  Most people convicted in Scotland on simple majority verdicts would not have been convicted if tried in England.  That's justice for you!  Personally I call it discrimination.

When I read about this I was a bit dumbfound....how can a single vote when its just over 50 50 determine guilt or innocence...if I read it right..thats worst than the system of election results!

Majority should really mean majority

Offline Carana

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Apologies if this has already been answered, some members are assuming that a charge of murder automatically means that there is evidence to support it.  This is not the case.

The Scottish prosecutors routinely inflate the charge so that it can be reduced if the defendant agrees a plea deal.  In this case the charge could very well be reduced to manslaughter if she pleads guilty.  At the end of the day it is all about cutting court time and thus saving money all round.  Needless to say if she pleads not guilty and is found guilty she will get hammered!

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I was wondering if that might be the case, particularly in view of the extremely short timeframe to question her and make a decision, and the forensic team that had only just started work... in the pouring rain.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2014, 08:31:08 PM »
I find them to be just your average inspirational quotes. They seem to come into question due to the tragedy.

But the point is that she was posting them at the times when some people say her boy was already lying dead in the woods.

I am saying for me this would be hard to believe.

Offline Carana

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
Her defence counsel will seek permission to have the trial (if there is one) moved to another city like Glasgow or Aberdeen.  It happens all the time in Scotland, I have no doubt any trial will not be held in Edinburgh.

One other thought.  Given the charge I am surprised that Sheriff Crowe didn't refer the case up to the High Court, that in itself could be a sign that the charge is inflated.

How would that ensure an unbiased jury in the Internet age? I do get the impression that such procedures are still in the dinosaur age when media coverage was limited to the local (printed) rag.

Offline Carana

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
But the point is that she was posting them at the times when some people say her boy was already lying dead in the woods.

Yes, I understand what you mean. It doesn't make sense to me, either.

Redblossom

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »

She might have been......we dont know...her sisters neighbour said she saw her drive there either Tuesday 14th or Wednesday 15th morning...if something tragic happened she might well have posted online, she wasnt a stranger to it......anyway enough speculation.....

Offline John

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2014, 08:41:41 PM »
As British citizens and in fact, as European citizens of the same State (the UK), we are all entitled to the same justice but it doesn't happen that way.  England, Wales and N Ireland all operate on the same basis whereas Scotland has been allowed to maintain a different system.

I have seen many cases over the years where suspects have had murder charges laid on them simply to scare them into doing a deal and pleading to a lesser charge.

Consider this.  A guilty person will always want to get the best deal possible when there is evidence against him or her.  If they plead guilty to a lesser charge they get a third off their sentence and fast tracked through the system.  An innocent will not plead to something they didn't do.  They will thus fight the full charge and if they lose they will be sentenced to the full term.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »
As British citizens and in fact, as European citizens of the same State (the UK), we are all entitled to the same justice but it doesn't happen that way.  England, Wales and N Ireland all operate on the same basis whereas Scotland has been allowed to maintain a different system.

I have seen many cases over the years where suspects have had murder charges laid on them simply to scare them into doing a deal and pleading to a lesser charge.

Consider this.  A guilty person will always want to get the best deal possible when there is evidence against him or her.  If they plead guilty to a lesser charge they get a third off their sentence and fast tracked through the system.  An innocent will not plead to something they didn't do.  They will thus fight the full charge and if they lose they will be sentenced to the full term.

So by this reasoning you think she hasn't done it?

Redblossom

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »

Thats why the law and half its lawyers are an ASS

Offline John

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2014, 08:56:32 PM »
So by this reasoning you think she hasn't done it?

It is early days yet and we haven't got the benefit of the autopsy results.  However, given what we know I would say she was complicit to an extent yet unknown in the death of her son and has certainly attempted to defeat the ends of justice by hiding his remains and faking an abduction.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:58:07 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
She might have been......we dont know...her sisters neighbour said she saw her drive there either Tuesday 14th or Wednesday 15th morning...if something tragic happened she might well have posted online, she wasnt a stranger to it......anyway enough speculation.....

A neighbour told me last night that the boy hadn't been seen since 29th December.  No doubt the other children will be interviewed about this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:02:28 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
How would that ensure an unbiased jury in the Internet age? I do get the impression that such procedures are still in the dinosaur age when media coverage was limited to the local (printed) rag.

Its all about trying to get 15 unbiased jurors who have not been subject to local gossip.