Author Topic: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?  (Read 91269 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

Re: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?
« Reply #450 on: June 09, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
Don't count on that lasting for long.

Voters only need know one thing. Governments do not have anything to trade for cash. Their only source of income is taxation. How it is dressed up politically is another matter. Does one want to afford the things folk think they are entitled to from government. ie me and you cos it's our dosh.

The EU have had a year to get themselves going on Brexit. I just hope we have not been wasting time and that in the background the mandarins have been hard at it.

The student loan thing is a bit funny. Has it been going long enough for anyone to work out whether much is paid back? Like one has to be earning over £35k to pay anything back at all and after 30 years it is written off regardless.
I don't see too many holders of "degrees in Bob Dylan", Nail Art, Dance etc ever contributing much.; he said in a reactionary sort of way.

The threshold is £21000 a year, Alice, and the rate is 9% of pay above that.  In effect its an extra  graduate tax of 9% of earnings over £21000.   Payable until the principal plus interest is paid. 

On the very limited poll (my kids), two have repaid the loan and one has another two years to go.  So it is being collected from everyone on over £21k

Notes:

How much you will repay

Your employer will take repayments from your salary during any pay period where your earnings before tax are over the weekly or monthly threshold.

By pay period, we mean each time you receive your salary. This could be every:
•Week
•Four weeks
•Calendar month

The earnings threshold is:
•£404 a week
•£1,750 a month
•£21,000 a year

You pay 9% of your income over the threshold

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #451 on: June 09, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
Yep,

May is a dead duck in the water, and the knives will be out for her.

Where this leaves the brexit negotiations is anyone's guess.

Who would take over?  Boris?  davis?  hmmmm.  I think she'll be kept on for a while as a dreadful warning of what happens when you take the electorate for granted..   

Brexit negotiations?  What is this "brexit" of which you speak......?

stephen25000

« Reply #452 on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »
Who would take over?  Boris?  davis?  hmmmm.  I think she'll be kept on for a while as a dreadful warning of what happens when you take the electorate for granted..   

Brexit negotiations?  What is this "brexit" of which you speak......?

Good point JP.

I presume the expression  'up shitte creek without a paddle' as May has no mandate to do anything, but fall on her sword.
 8((()*/

stephen25000

« Reply #453 on: June 09, 2017, 02:49:19 PM »
Apparently she has said there is an agreement with the Unionists.

However, they are denying an agreement has been reached.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #454 on: June 09, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
The threshold is £21000 a year, Alice, and the rate is 9% of pay above that.  In effect its an extra  graduate tax of 9% of earnings over £21000.   Payable until the principal plus interest is paid. 

On the very limited poll (my kids), two have repaid the loan and one has another two years to go.  So it is being collected from everyone on over £21k

Notes:

How much you will repay

Your employer will take repayments from your salary during any pay period where your earnings before tax are over the weekly or monthly threshold.

By pay period, we mean each time you receive your salary. This could be every:
•Week
•Four weeks
•Calendar month

The earnings threshold is:
•£404 a week
•£1,750 a month
•£21,000 a year

You pay 9% of your income over the threshold

Ooops I should have checked that. Cheers J-P.
A young acquaintance of mine is of the opinion it was £35k!!!!
Boy are they in for a shock anytime now.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #455 on: June 09, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
Love her or hate her she don't 'ang about do she ?.
She'll have her man in Brussels at the table on June 19th.
It's not good but nor is it that bad [apart from a being a gross error of judgement]...unless Sinn Fein decide to take up their seats; so there's seven (eight?) she doesn't have to have. Whereas JC would need all his lot the SNP and most of the stragglers all to side with him.

Maybe it's all a bad dream and Lord Palmerston will come out of the shower?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #456 on: June 09, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »
Love her or hate her she don't 'ang about do she ?.
She'll have her man in Brussels at the table on June 19th.
It's not good but nor is it that bad [apart from a being a gross error of judgement]...unless Sinn Fein decide to take up their seats; so there's seven (eight?) she doesn't have to have. Whereas JC would need all his lot the SNP and most of the stragglers all to side with him.

Maybe it's all a bad dream and Lord Palmerston will come out of the shower?

Dan Hodges from the Mail on Sunday on Sky. He says he's struggling to work out what happened; no-one saw it coming blah blah.

I saw it coming by looking at those crowds listening to Corbyn and watching May visiting small shops in Fleetwood.
The truth is they refused to see because they didn't think they could all be wrong.  @)(++(*

The Tories can't sack May because the consequences are another leadership election and then maybe another general election. They can't risk being blamed for that. If, however, she can't get her Queen's speech through Parliament she could face a vote of no confidence. If she loses that off we go again, but without the Tories having to take the blame.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #457 on: June 09, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
Dan Hodges from the Mail on Sunday on Sky. He says he's struggling to work out what happened; no-one saw it coming blah blah.

I saw it coming by looking at those crowds listening to Corbyn and watching May visiting small shops in Fleetwood.
The truth is they refused to see because they didn't think they could all be wrong.  @)(++(*

The Tories can't sack May because the consequences are another leadership election and then maybe another general election. They can't risk being blamed for that. If, however, she can't get her Queen's speech through Parliament she could face a vote of no confidence. If she loses that off we go again, but without the Tories having to take the blame.

I agree totally.
I doubt The Queens Speech will be voted down but then of late who would put their money on anything political. I can see Labour and SNP voting against it lock stock and barrel but the rest? Sinn Fein don't vote so it's first to 322(?) effectively. That leaves TM needing 4 out of the remaining 27; unless the Cons vote their own bill down which is nutter country.

Offline misty

« Reply #458 on: June 09, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »
Ooops I should have checked that. Cheers J-P.
A young acquaintance of mine is of the opinion it was £35k!!!!
Boy are they in for a shock anytime now.

It depends on when you started Uni. My son's repayment threshold is £17775. He has an amount which is less than the monthly interest on his debt taken from his wages each month, so his debt continues to increase.
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/overview

My daughter fortunately had most of her Uni fees paid for by the local education authority so she has very little to repay.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #459 on: June 09, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
It's very funny when they speak to Labour MP's. It's obvious they don't like Corbyn but they can't criticise him now. I expect they thought he'd crash and burn and they would have been able to get rid of him.

Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #460 on: June 09, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
Does the result put Blair in a stronger or weaker position to launch an alternative Labour party for the disillusioned moderates?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #461 on: June 09, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »
Does the result put Blair in a stronger or weaker position to launch an alternative Labour party for the disillusioned moderates?

When the rebel MP's did all they could to get rid of Corbyn they justified their behaviour by saying the point was to win elections. That excuse is dead in the water. I would expect constituency parties to react badly to any Labour MP, voted in on Corbyn's manifesto, who then rejected it. Bye elections would be likely to follow and they would have to compete with Corbinite  candidates.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #462 on: June 09, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
It depends on when you started Uni. My son's repayment threshold is £17775. He has an amount which is less than the monthly interest on his debt taken from his wages each month, so his debt continues to increase.
https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/overview

My daughter fortunately had most of her Uni fees paid for by the local education authority so she has very little to repay.

My two eldest missed it entirely. The youngest had to pay about three grand as I remember.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #463 on: June 11, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »
I don't follow the byach infighting in politics- total waste of my time. However, I just wonder if those blairites babes/and spin doctors are aware of the impact on JC's and Abbots Policies have on the electorate- I predicted civil war 10 years ago, I feel it is still brewing in some quarters of our nation.

Free education for all?  this didn't work in Scotland because we had to provide free education up to university level for those not born in this country, but English students COULD NOT access this 'free' education even though they paid in taxes.(WTF). Now many schools and HE's are jam packed with 'educational immigrants' Can we afford it ? NO, so what happens is  SNP cut budgets else where.(nursing training as an example) This is a shameful disgrace. People from Turkey, not even in the EU, can access NHS money  via bursary to get UK education. again (WTF). Wards are understanffed, we have real crisis in the NHS can we really afford this luxury? The cuts are being made not to 'save money' but to go to other causes which is well hidden from public view.

If JC is very honest, as is claimed, then why did he not take the opportunity to put a price on how much further immigration, housing, medical access, and education was going to cost and where would this money come from?

oh and BTW re nationalising industry costs billions as well, who woud run these quangos?

Young people do believe money is free, they can't even get jobs which pays enough to house themselves!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #464 on: June 11, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
I don't follow the byach infighting in politics- total waste of my time. However, I just wonder if those blairites babes/and spin doctors are aware of the impact on JC's and Abbots Policies have on the electorate- I predicted civil war 10 years ago, I feel it is still brewing in some quarters of our nation.

Free education for all?  this didn't work in Scotland because we had to provide free education up to university level for those not born in this country, but English students COULD NOT access this 'free' education even though they paid in taxes.(WTF). Now many schools and HE's are jam packed with 'educational immigrants' Can we afford it ? NO, so what happens is  SNP cut budgets else where.(nursing training as an example) This is a shameful disgrace. People from Turkey, not even in the EU, can access NHS money  via bursary to get UK education. again (WTF). Wards are understanffed, we have real crisis in the NHS can we really afford this luxury? The cuts are being made not to 'save money' but to go to other causes which is well hidden from public view.

If JC is very honest, as is claimed, then why did he not take the opportunity to put a price on how much further immigration, housing, medical access, and education was going to cost and where would this money come from?

oh and BTW re nationalising industry costs billions as well, who woud run these quangos?

Young people do believe money is free, they can't even get jobs which pays enough to house themselves!

I haven't studied Labour's Manifesto but I think it was meticulously prepared and costed. Otherwise the media and the Tories would have focused on criticising it and they didn't. I think Labour did their homework. The Tories cobbled together a vague 'wish list' with no costings whatsoever, just more threats of austerity and cuts. When May said we're all in it together' I took it as a warning to pensioners that they were the next target. I think a few others did to!
Result = happy posting.